Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
CMA21
Mouseketeer

Storm Troopers at a wedding??

My DF is mildy obsessed with Star Wars (basically him to star wars is me to disney ). Before we were even dating he knew I was having a DFTW wedding, so it wasn't a huge surprise when we got engaged and decided to have our wedding there. Now I know he loves star wars and I would like to do something for him as well, and him and my dad keep joking about having storm troopers at the wedding. I keep saying absolutely not, but the more I think about it the more I think about how awesome it would be for him if perhaps they actually did show up. So here are my questions:

1. Has anybody had storm troopers as characters at the wedding (basically instead of Mickey & Minnie)? And if so, did they run the same cost as any other character appearances?

2. Or are you even allowed to have them?

3. How hard do you think it would be to keep something of this level a surprise to the DF? (Would it basically be up to me to hide it on the BEO from him kinda thing?)

TIA!

Getting Married 10/13/13 at WP and ADH!
CMA21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
1EvilQueenfan
Mouseketeer

Not sure if I can answer this question but check out the web site Magical Day Weddings! Yesterday they just had a posting about Star Wars Weddings, May the 4th be with you, was the title of the post!

Good luck

Jodi
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
Jkpark
DIS Veteran

Our bridal party was announced at our reception to the Star Wars Throne Room music - cheesy? Yes. But DH and I both grew up loving Star Wars and now when we watch A New Hope we think of our wedding

WDW: Dec '85 (offsite), May '01 (offsite), Nov '02 (POFQ/Swan), Jan '07 (POP), Oct '08 (offsite), May '11 (SSR), Sept '12 (offsite/BLT)
March 2012 Aulani
Plus lots of trips to Disneyland
Jkpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
andeesings
DIS Veteran

Maybe you should contact these people!!! http://magicaldayweddings.com/star-w...youpa-brian-2/

That's quite a Star Wars theme!
Old 05-05-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
super mike b
DIS Veteran

I would bet that they can do most anything as long as you plan way ahead.......and are willing to pay the price!
super mike b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
chris31997
Disney Kid at Heart

And if you can't get the actually Troopers, then maybe a cake........

I think it is sweet that you are trying to do this for him.

Chrissy
chris31997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:23 AM   #7
CMA21
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much for all the input!

DF is actually already walking down the asile to star wars music (I'm not expert myself, but he says it's from the parade at one point in the movies)! So I don't think it's cheesy at all to have the music...it works really well for us!

I have also thought about surprising him with a star wars cake, either at the welcome party or reception. I think I'll just ask my planner what the options might be for storm troopers and plan from there.

Also...I actually saw those posts on Magical Day Weddings and that's where my ideas were somewhat sparked. If I find anything more out soon I will let you all know!

Old 05-06-2013, 06:51 AM   #8
LittleKittyMarie
DIS Veteran

Where are you getting married? I am almost certain those are members of the 501st and not Disney CMs/characters at that wedding on Magical Day. I highly suggest looking them up, they will appear for a donation I believe. Check out the FAQ. You'd probably have to run it by planner too, which is why I ask where you're getting married. In a ballroom would probably be easier to arrange.

http://www.501st.com/index.php

The Florida 501st does Star Wars weekends, so obviously they have worked with Disney.
2013 WDW Wedding: BWV & GF | 2013 DCL: Fantasy 7-Night | 2013 ABD: BSM | 2015 DL: D23 Expo

Last edited by LittleKittyMarie; 05-06-2013 at 06:59 AM.
LittleKittyMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
CMA21
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleKittyMarie View Post
Where are you getting married? I am almost certain those are members of the 501st and not Disney CMs/characters at that wedding on Magical Day. I highly suggest looking them up, they will appear for a donation I believe. Check out the FAQ. You'd probably have to run it by planner too, which is why I ask where you're getting married. In a ballroom would probably be easier to arrange.

http://www.501st.com/index.php

The Florida 501st does Star Wars weekends, so obviously they have worked with Disney.
Thanks I'll definitely look into that! We're getting married at the Wedding Pavilion followed by our reception at the Atlantic Dance Hall. I'd most likely want them at Atlantic Dance Hall, but I guess I'll have to ask my planner first if that's allowed. For some reason Atlantic Dance Hall requires us to use Disney for a lot of stuff like the DJ and all decorations, so I'm not sure how much freedom I'll have with bringing in other things. Guess I'll just have to ask and see what they say! Thanks!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #10
Kaylars
Mouseketeer

You're having a disney wedding everything should be over the top and fun. It would be awesome if you didn't tell him and during the reception a storm trooper busted in and made some moves on the dance floor.

We're hoping to have a tower of terror bell man greet guests as they walk into the reception. 30 mins shouldn't be crazy expensive.
Kaylars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #11
Noerdax
Earning My Ears

As I was reading down the thread I was also thinking about the 501st.

Honestly I think they would be your best bet. Since they are not Disney they would definitively cost less than the regular character fee and you would be able to get a lot more than just troopers if you wanted. I've talked with the 501st in my region and they are all very friendly and approachable.

On the other hand you'll have to factor them in, they will count has guest at you wedding. If you have a limited amount of guest that could be a problem.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #12
Noerdax
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylars View Post
You're having a disney wedding everything should be over the top and fun. It would be awesome if you didn't tell him and during the reception a storm trooper busted in and made some moves on the dance floor.

We're hoping to have a tower of terror bell man greet guests as they walk into the reception. 30 mins shouldn't be crazy expensive.
I'm getting married in Sept.2013 and we looked at DFTW a few months back and they only prices I found for characters were

3000$ for Mickey and Minnie
600$ first Character
500$ per additional character

And that was per 30 minutes. Prices may have changed or I could be wrong but that's the only price info I could find.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Now that Star Wars is owned by Disney, I'd think there is a good chance you could contract them. Definitely ask your planner. If not, perhaps the Legion would work. They attend many events!
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:55 AM   #14
lauracc
Earning My Ears

I love your idea! I think arranging it with your planner would be best, my sister's had ideas I didn't even know they were possible. Also, I've heard good recommendations for 501st as well
lauracc is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: