Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #1
DannyDisneyFreak
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Comparing Fish Extenders - Need Opinions on what one to get ???

I posted this in one of the FE threads but I figured I would ask everyone on the board. How large should the pockets on an extender be? I found a mickey mouse wall organizer online that i really like, it has 9 pockets but each pocket is only about 4x4 inches. The dimensions of the hanger itself is 14x20 inches, is that too wide? I can't remember how much room there is on the wall under the fish. I also found a mickey mouse "diaper bag" wall hanger, it's basically a Mickey Mouse plush character and where his legs would be his red "pants" extend down into a large sack. It's original purpose was for diaper storage presumably to hang next to a changing table. The entire thing is 36" long, the bag part looks like it could hold a fair amount of items. What do you guys think? I'm comparing these 2 but should I get something more like the ones most people make. I'm not really crafty and don't want to spend 30-40 bucks. These ones I found are a lot cheeper. Any other ideas for an economical FR? Would a Disney tote of some sort look too cheap/lazy? Thanks for the help!
Old 12-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDisneyFreak View Post
I posted this in one of the FE threads but I figured I would ask everyone on the board. How large should the pockets on an extender be? I found a mickey mouse wall organizer online that i really like, it has 9 pockets but each pocket is only about 4x4 inches. The dimensions of the hanger itself is 14x20 inches, is that too wide? I can't remember how much room there is on the wall under the fish. I also found a mickey mouse "diaper bag" wall hanger, it's basically a Mickey Mouse plush character and where his legs would be his red "pants" extend down into a large sack. It's original purpose was for diaper storage presumably to hang next to a changing table. The entire thing is 36" long, the bag part looks like it could hold a fair amount of items. What do you guys think? I'm comparing these 2 but should I get something more like the ones most people make. I'm not really crafty and don't want to spend 30-40 bucks. These ones I found are a lot cheeper. Any other ideas for an economical FR? Would a Disney tote of some sort look too cheap/lazy? Thanks for the help!
I think they are about 8-9" wide. A 4x4 pocket would be a little difficult to put anything in. For instance, I like to make a small 6x6 smash book style scrapbook for my gifts. Just a thought.

An easy idea I've seen people use is pencil bags and decorate them. Those with rings in the corner and then use ribbon to lace them together.

Jill
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014
Disney Fantasy - June/July 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Wonder - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
Dream - November 2015
racingfandj is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Ready to go
Mouseketeer

I recently bought the Ikea storage hanger (if you search Ikea FE you should be able to see it). It was 5.00 and we decorated it with our son and girlfriend's names and ribbon. It had three pockets and really turned out nice without having to spend alot. If there isn't an Ikea near you, I think they now ship them out. It was in the children's section. Good Luck! This one turned out so nice, I now wish I would have used it for my own (husband and other son) instead of buying off etsy for the cruise prior.

Dream Fish Extender January 5, 2014 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...0SFNNV0E#gid=0
Ready to go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
DannyDisneyFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfandj View Post
I think they are about 8-9" wide. A 4x4 pocket would be a little difficult to put anything in. For instance, I like to make a small 6x6 smash book style scrapbook for my gifts. Just a thought.

An easy idea I've seen people use is pencil bags and decorate them. Those with rings in the corner and then use ribbon to lace them together.

Jill
Oh man, I really liked it too. I could check out doing something like the pencil cases.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:00 PM   #5
FrostMommy
Mouseketeer

I would go with the larger one. I really don't think a 4x4 inch pocket is large enough. On our last trip I made one. The pockets were about 8 inches wide and 4 1/2 inches deep. It worked, but I am making a new one since I found it would have helped a little to have them a bit deeper.

Me , DH , DD (13) , DS (11), DD (6), DS (3)

April 2009 - Ten-year anniversary extravaganza of 4 days at Disney World and a Disney 4 day Bahamas cruise.

February 2010 - First ever Disney 8 night western Caribbean cruise (yep, we got stuck at Castaway Cay )
FrostMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #6
DannyDisneyFreak

Is it weird to have a whole bag with all the gifts thrown into?
Old 12-01-2013, 09:55 PM   #7
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyDisneyFreak View Post
Is it weird to have a whole bag with all the gifts thrown into?
No. While the majority of FEs are made up of multiple pockets, I've seen just one bag used as FEs on occasion. Actually, I've seen a plastic grocery bag used as one, when someone forgot to pack their FE.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 11:00 PM   #8
DannyDisneyFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
No. While the majority of FEs are made up of multiple pockets, I've seen just one bag used as FEs on occasion. Actually, I've seen a plastic grocery bag used as one, when someone forgot to pack their FE.
Well, I guess anything's better than that!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 PM   #9
Jessica Sloan
Mouseketeer

I am having a heck of a time finding the pencil cases with the clear plastic window...seriously you would think that part would be easy!
Old 12-01-2013, 11:36 PM   #10
missjudit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
We forgot our FE on our last cruise (NYE 2013 Dream) and had to use a Disney plastic bag from one of the shops.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:58 AM   #11
DannyDisneyFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Sloan View Post
I am having a heck of a time finding the pencil cases with the clear plastic window...seriously you would think that part would be easy!
The dollar store. I get them all the time for work.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: