Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
JessieB923
Mouseketeer

Dining

My family has very simple tastes, while the photos of food we see are beautiful its not really what we would eat. Are they options for boring eaters?

Jessica John :Alexis : Victoria : Isabella
JessieB923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:12 PM   #2
MaleficentRN
DIS Veteran

Why don't you go here and check out the menus?

http://allears.net/cruise/ships/drea...dreammenus.htm

Last edited by MaleficentRN; 05-04-2013 at 05:17 PM. Reason: Other link didn't have menus
MaleficentRN is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 05:15 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessieB923 View Post
My family has very simple tastes, while the photos of food we see are beautiful its not really what we would eat. Are they options for boring eaters?
There's always the option of plain, grilled or baked chicken, fish and occasionally steak with steamed veggies or baked potation on every menu.

Or the kids menu with various "kid friendly" sorts of choices (mac & cheese, burgers, spaghetti, etc)

While a lot of the things sound fancy on the menu and look it in pictures, many of them are really meat and potato kinds of offerings.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #4
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

My niece got tired of all the fahncy food on a cruise (not DCL) and actually ordered a hot dog in the main dining room one evening. So you aren't the only "no frills" eater.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

I kind of felt the same way about the food. I am plain and picky. But I like to look at the photos. My dh and dd would love to try all of them, which brings me joy to see them enjoy themselves. But I may be ordering kids menu.
Old 05-04-2013, 05:52 PM   #6
mattykin
Mouseketeer

While I really did enjoy the food, toward the end of our cruise I was done, as well as my stomach, with all of the rich food. I ended up ordering off of the light menu in the MDR it was baked chicken, steamed veggies and a baked potato.....it was truly one of the best meals I had

mattykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykin
While I really did enjoy the food, toward the end of our cruise I was done, as well as my stomach, with all of the rich food. I ended up ordering off of the light menu in the MDR it was baked chicken, steamed veggies and a baked potato.....it was truly one of the best meals I had
Never leave home without your probiotics!!!

I enjoyed all our meals. Including hot dogs at CC and chicken tenders and pizza at Flos. Since I've been home, i haven't been able to keep hotdogs in the house! They are all I want! That and tropical rum drinks...oh look I happen to have one of those right here at the moment.

Junk food is one of the american standards of cruising. Also chicken tenders n fries have always been my best friend for sea sickness! Weird but true!
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

There are many options for no-frills food on board. In the MDR your server will be happy to bring you something to your liking. Its easy to leave off certain sauces or to just order a plain chicken breast.

A cruise is also a perfect opportunity to expand your food comfort zone. You can order something you would normally never consider and if it turns out you don't like it, they will bring you something else. Its all included.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

If you really can't find anything on the regular menus, you can always order off the kids' menus. I wanted a plain garden salad one night, so I ordered off the kids' menu.

Check out the Dream menus in my signature.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
mattykin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Never leave home without your probiotics!!!

I enjoyed all our meals. Including hot dogs at CC and chicken tenders and pizza at Flos. Since I've been home, i haven't been able to keep hotdogs in the house! They are all I want! That and tropical rum drinks...oh look I happen to have one of those right here at the moment.

Junk food is one of the american standards of cruising. Also chicken tenders n fries have always been my best friend for sea sickness! Weird but true!
You know I was close to picking up probiotics and didn't....lesson learned

mattykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattykin

You know I was close to picking up probiotics and didn't....lesson learned
Aw. Well they are poorly marketed as some sort of "colon regulator," when actually they can provide quite a bit of stomach upset and relief right at the time of the meal. All my friends know, they will come and ask me for them when the bloaties set in (camping etc). Relief takes about ten min. U r better off taking them right with meal.
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:29 AM   #12
HealthyDisneyGuide
always planning the next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
A cruise is also a perfect opportunity to expand your food comfort zone. You can order something you would normally never consider and if it turns out you don't like it, they will bring you something else. Its all included.

I was just thinking the same thing! A cruise is a great opportunity to try new meals.
HealthyDisneyGuide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
WeLoveDisneyAlways
DIS Veteran

I'm also a plain Jane when it comes to dining and I was pleasantly surprised by the meals. I did make changes like the shrimp pasta I asked for a chicken breast instead of shrimp no problem. I didn't find any apps I liked other then the cheddar potato soup so good! I'm glad I branched out and tried a few items I didn't think I'd like. If you don't find anything to your liking you can order room service or go to cabanas etc there are so many options you won't go hungry
Coronado Springs Resort Disney World - March 2003; Atlantis Bahamas - Sept 2004; Bellagio Las Vegas - Jan 2007; Sandals Montego Bay Jamaica - Jan 2008; Pop Century Disney World - Sept 2008; Pop Century, Disney World - Jan 2009; Atlantis Bahamas - Jan 2010; All Star Movies Disney World - May 2010; Caribbean Beach Resort Disney World - Jan 2011; Bay Lake Towers Disney World, Disney Dream Cruise, Coronado Springs Disney World - Jan 2012 ; Art of Animation Resort Disney World Jan 2013 ; Coronado Springs - Disney World, Disney Dream, Animal Kingdom Lodge - Disney World Jan 2014
WeLoveDisneyAlways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:37 AM   #14
MrsBoyer428
Mouseketeer

You'll be fine. There are lots of options for a "no frills" kind of eater. Halfway through the cruise, I got tired of the fancy stuff and stuck with chicken for dinner and Mickey bars for dessert. Your servers will work like crazy to make sure you'll happy with your food as fancy or "no frills" as you'd like to go. And if you WANT to step outside the box as well as get something normal, they'll let you do both.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:51 AM   #15
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeLoveDisneyAlways View Post
I'm also a plain Jane when it comes to dining and I was pleasantly surprised by the meals. I did make changes like the shrimp pasta I asked for a chicken breast instead of shrimp no problem. I didn't find any apps I liked other then the cheddar potato soup so good! I'm glad I branched out and tried a few items I didn't think I'd like. If you don't find anything to your liking you can order room service or go to cabanas etc there are so many options you won't go hungry
Cabanas has the same meals (dinner) the dining room has. From what I've heard, they take a few selections from each MDR. So, you won't find anything different there.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic Eastern 2004 DCL Magic Western 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014

Last edited by Zandy595; 05-05-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: