Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
Disney Burns
Earning My Ears

Discovery Cove

Hey Guys,

We are looking to go to discovery cove for the first time this year. Is their a recommended day of the week to go? Does anyone have any tips as its our first trip??

Thanks Jenn
Disney Burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Mrs Doubtfire
DIS Veteran

DC has a limit on the number of people who an go in each day, so it shouldn't matter which day you pick.

Most people say to get there early, I think we got there about 8.30am, but some go before that.

We had a really good day and may go back this year but not do the dolphin swim
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #3
BethEJo
I left the house at 5.45am - that's unheard of for a student
WDW CM 19/06/11 - 02/09/11

We went for the first time two days ago - it was chilly and grey but still easily one of the best days of our lives
We were there for 7:30 as that is when check in opens, but it seems that things dont actually get up and running until 8:30. Breakfast was available then though!

We were given the first dolphin swim of the day (8:30), and whilst it is only 35-40 mins long, I cannot recommend it enough! I won't be doing the dolphin swim again for a long time, but will definitely do it again at some point in the future.
Despite the horrendous weather, we still did enjoy watching other people's dolphins encounters whilst wrapped in a million towels and sipping bud light! Also loved the warm water areas through the avery and also the snorkelling with the fish and stingrays! DC is definitely going to be a place that I return to every time I come back to FL!!!!!!
BethEJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:16 AM   #4
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

We went on a Saturday, knowing we probably wouldn't want to be in one of the regular parks on a Saturday. No other reasoning for it but, since there are limited numbers allowed in each day, you know it's never going to be really crowded.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Discovery Cove is one of the best experiences we've ever had. I personally, didn't want to go, I only agreed because my DW and DD wanted to go, but I absolutely loved it and I'm the one now trying to bug them into going again this year!

No tips are needed really, the only thing I would say is arrive early to make sure you get as much time there as possible. Take full advantage of the free snacks and drinks, although don't indulge too much in free wine and beer in the heat! Food is great, everything about it is awesome. Our dolphin swim was SUPER cold but we went in February and had an early swim time.

It's a brilliant, relaxing day and because the number of visitors is limited it really doesn't get overcrowded. For an extra something special, get yourself a private cabana.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 04:13 AM   #6
ClaireW
Mouseketeer

I'd second the idea of getting there early - we arrived as it was opening and were able to get my mom a morning dolphin swim time. We were there in August and the mid-morning slot worked well because we had time to get set up in a spot with loungers in the shade, our DDs watched Nana without having to suffer the worst of the midday sun, and we had the rest of the day to relax, explore and have a leisurely lunch.
It never felt crowded and the hospitality was great - we left with two tired little ones mid-afternoon but if we did it again when they're older I'd definitely stay longer and make the most of the free food and drink!
Overall it was a lovely day and whilst we only went for mom's 'once in a lifetime' dolphin swim, I think we'll all be back again one day!
ClaireW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 05:48 AM   #7
GirlDreamer
DIS Veteran

Has anyone been there in november? Is it warm enough to swim and sunbathe?

WDW CM: Feb. 2006 - March 2007 and Aug. 2008 - May 2009 Previous trips: Feb. 2007 (Saratoga Springs), Sept. 2007 (Off-site), Sept. 2010 (POP), Sept. 2012 (POFQ) Next trip: Disneymoon Nov 13th - Dec 4th 2014
GirlDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlDreamer View Post
Has anyone been there in november? Is it warm enough to swim and sunbathe?
I have been on Christmas Day! At that time of your you are basically taking the luck the weather throws at you. We wore coats and gloves during that break but got highs of 70 degrees on Christmas Day meaning DC was fine with a full wet suit on. The weather is wildly fluctuating though, certainly in December.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: