Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Should we do early dinner or late?

First time on DCL in October and I have no idea what to do. Should we book late dinner or early?

We have 3 children-8 years old, almost 4 yr old, and a then 18 month old...our 18 month old will be staying with us the whole time but my other two, boys, would love the kids clubs. I've heard that the late dinners will take the kids with them for some of the dinner time??? However, my youngest is not a chill toddler. She thinks she runs the show so I'm not sure how long she will stay put for dinner.

Pros and cons of early and late dinner times- Go!
feelthenspeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:52 PM   #2
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

With that age of kids I do not think it matters as much. Lots depends on how late your kids stay up. When they get older they will want early dinner so they can eat and then run off to join their friends.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
cpc430
Mouseketeer

We chose late dinner. Our kids are 9 and 7. The biggest reason though is we are coming from California and are on PST. I know we'll eventually adjust to the time change but eating dinner at 8:30 or 5:30 our time seemed good.

And we'll be able to enjoy a full day in the port without having to worry about coming back early to get ready for dinner.
cpc430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

You bring up an excellent point. I didn't even think about having to come in from our port to get ready. We typically eat dinner early at home but I thonk we could handle eating later.

?-what if the kids get hungry before late dinner...are buffet still open at 5 or 6??
Old 05-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
tajz90
Mama D

Honestly, book early. There's always a waitlist. You can change to late if you change your mind before.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I booked early but am going to change to late. My DS will be 12 and we love our sunshine. I hear the polls empty out about 4:00 with people going to get ready for the first seating. I don't want to feel rushed during the day.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
You bring up an excellent point. I didn't even think about having to come in from our port to get ready. We typically eat dinner early at home but I thonk we could handle eating later.

?-what if the kids get hungry before late dinner...are buffet still open at 5 or 6??
The buffet changes to sit down dining in the evening and there are options on the pool deck also (pizza, chicken tenders, wraps, burgers, etc.) and room service.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:39 PM   #8
posey74
Earning My Ears

My kids were 6 and 3 on our first cruise and we had early seating. I thought there was no way they'd last until 8pm (and honestly no way I'd last either...I like to eat early!) but once there I realized we could have easily done second seating and it maybe would have been better. You're on vacation, everything moves at a slower and later pace naturally so pushing back dinner time becomes normal. It was a pain to have to stop everything at 5:00 or so to go get dressed...and often none of us were really that hungry. We are going on our second cruise in October when my kids will be 7 and 5 and main seating was already gone when we booked so I'm happy to take second seating this time.
posey74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #9
cheribelle
Mouseketeer

My kids are 12, 9 and 4 and I chose the early dining. We are only doing the 4 night cruise so I figure I have to get them dressed early no matter what. If we did the late dining, we would see the shows at 6. I would rather see the shows after dinner, then have the night free. I am sure my kids would have to have a large snack during the show to hold them till late dining. And then they probably would not want dinner.
However, if we plan anything longer than a 4 night, I probably would do late dining. With more ports to explore, I might just say the heck with the shows some nights!
But since this is our first cruise and only a 4 night, I know I want to see most of them.
cheribelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #10
feelthenspeak
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheribelle
My kids are 12, 9 and 4 and I chose the early dining. We are only doing the 4 night cruise so I figure I have to get them dressed early no matter what. If we did the late dining, we would see the shows at 6. I would rather see the shows after dinner, then have the night free. I am sure my kids would have to have a large snack during the show to hold them till late dining. And then they probably would not want dinner.
However, if we plan anything longer than a 4 night, I probably would do late dining. With more ports to explore, I might just say the heck with the shows some nights!
But since this is our first cruise and only a 4 night, I know I want to see most of them.
So what times are the shows generally?
Old 05-23-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
starlightprincess
Earning My Ears

We are travelling with two 5 year olds who usually have dinner about 4pm and then a snack before bed so I though it was best to keep them in a routine. Plus I liked the idea of going to the show after dinner. x
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelthenspeak View Post
So what times are the shows generally?
6:15 and 8:30.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
KWithers
Mouseketeer

We normally eat dinner at home early, about 4:30-5, but we opted for late seating on the cruise. We went to the early show at 6:15 and there were always seats available, even when we were late. The kids club folks will arrive at the dining rooms at 9:15 if the kids want to go play. Or, you could always take them up yourself if they're done prior to that. They also feed the kids in the clubs, but at a different time. Check the navigator.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #14
KashasMom
DIS Veteran

I agree with booking early. See how it goes for a day or two. If you want to change to late, you can easily do that. But you will not be able to change from late to early (or almost always will not be able to...).
1972 Home Lines Homeric (Bahamas), 1977 Cunard Princess (Bermuda), 1986 Carnival Holiday (Eastern Caribbean), 1987 Carnival Jubilee (Eastern Caribbean), 1988 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Oceanic (Bahamas), 1991 Premier/Big Red Boat Starship Atlantic (Bahamas), 1991 Costa Riviera (Western Caribbean), 1993 Carnival Fantasy (Southern Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Western Caribbean), 1997 Celebrity Century (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Grandeur of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean), 1998 Disney Magic Inaugural Celebration (Bahamas), 2000 Carnival Destiny (Canada), 2001 Celebrity Infinity (Alaska - Inside Passage), 2003 Royal Princess (South America), 2008 RCI Serenade of the Seas (repo -SF to Vancouver via Alaska - Inside Passage), 2010 Caribbean Princess (Southern Caribbean), 2010 Caribbean Princess (b-b Southern Caribbean), 2012 Disney Magic (NY-Bahamas), 2012 Brand-New Carnival Breeze (Eastern Carib), 2012 NCL Epic (Eastern Carib), 2013 Brand-Spanking-New NCL Breakaway *Family Reunion Cruise* (Bermuda), 2013 Disney Fantasy (Western Caribbean)

------

Upcoming Cruise: Disney Fantasy - February 2015
Upcoming Cruise: Disney Wonder - February 2016
KashasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #15
shrinkingmoody
Earning My Ears

We had late on our may Dream cruise - wait listed - and got the change to early for our three year old. On a 4 night it worked out well and we never felt rushed. We only attempted one show and my little guy fell asleep during it so late dining would not have been a food fit for us. I like the suggestion if keeping early and switching on board if it doesn't work out. It's really about what will work best for your family dynamic.

shrinkingmoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: