Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #1
Bluestars
Smile and let the world wonder what you have been up to
I know I am strange, but you asked

Beach Excursion - Bad weather

We are sailing on the 25th of this month. We have two excursions booked. If it is raining hard, will we be able to get our money back on a beach excursion we booked through Disney or we will just lose our money?

Thanks.
Bluestars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
lucky1
Face Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestars View Post
We are sailing on the 25th of this month. We have two excursions booked. If it is raining hard, will we be able to get our money back on a beach excursion we booked through Disney or we will just lose our money?

Thanks.

Only if you cancel it 3 days before or if they cancel it due to unsafe weather. We had an excursion at Boatswain in Grand Cayman about 3 years ago. It was raining so hard, the tenders were delayed an hour, but still they did not cancel. When they got us to the tender they handed us each ponchos and sent us with a DCL CM. It was not an enjoyable excursion due to all the rain and unable to swim, snorkel there, so we just looked at the turtles and then headed back early. In my opinion DCL should have cancelled, but it wasn't considered unsafe.
lucky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-23-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
Bluestars

Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. I guess that's the disadvantage of booking excursions early.

I have another question. We are a party of 5 and have a snorkel excursion and a beach excursion. The beach excursion includes lunch. Is it typical to tip based on the cost of the excursion?

Does anyone have recommendations on tipping amounts per person?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:59 AM   #4
dizzi
DIS Veteran

I guess it is one of those things, that it just depends how DCL is feeling that day.

Was on a All Girl cruise with my DDs and had similar experience. We were in .Nassau. Long story short. We got our money back for all 4 of us. It was offered up to everyone only afew took the offer. I heard many saying they wished thy had taken the offer when back.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestars View Post
Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. I guess that's the disadvantage of booking excursions early.

I have another question. We are a party of 5 and have a snorkel excursion and a beach excursion. The beach excursion includes lunch. Is it typical to tip based on the cost of the excursion?

Does anyone have recommendations on tipping amounts per person?
Is this Blue Lagoon?
TwinPrincessMermaids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #6
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Sorry to hijack your thread but I have a similar question. Lets say im at St.Maarten and didnt book any excursions...I just wanna lay on a beach and perhaps swim. Is there a charge to use their beach? Can i pay someone on the spot? Or do i have to book in advance?
NoSoup4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Question would be 'which beach'. We walked to a public one that was right there by the cruise ships. Usually you have to pay a couple bucks for a lounge chair or umbrella, not for the beach though. However, it is like going to New Port beach on the 4th of July...
Old 05-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids View Post
Question would be 'which beach'. We walked to a public one that was right there by the cruise ships. Usually you have to pay a couple bucks for a lounge chair or umbrella, not for the beach though. However, it is like going to New Port beach on the 4th of July...
Thats great. thank you! Glad to hear they only charge for lounge chair...which i dont mind paying for.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:45 PM   #9
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

We were booked for the Cozumel beach break through DCL a couple years ago and the harbor was closed to small boats so just about all of the excursions were cancelled. We were never charged.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #10
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4U View Post
Thats great. thank you! Glad to hear they only charge for lounge chair...which i dont mind paying for.
That WILL be a cash day, so plan carefully and accordingly. Cash for the chair, cash for the umbrella, probably cash for drinks but you can use credit too at the restaurants across the street. One we went to had really great nachos and a nice fat cat named Andy.

Say hi to Andy for me!
Old 05-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
That WILL be a cash day, so plan carefully and accordingly. Cash for the chair, cash for the umbrella, probably cash for drinks but you can use credit too at the restaurants across the street. One we went to had really great nachos and a nice fat cat named Andy.

Say hi to Andy for me!
Thanks for the tip. lots of cash. got it! Good to know all these things. I was stressing about the beach. I saw one excursion that cost quite a bit of money, all it involves is a ride to a private beach and snorkelling! thats just crazy! why would i pay when i can get a beach for free? Lol. To each their own i guess.
Old 05-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
Bluestars

Quote:
Is this Blue Lagoon?
Hi TwinPrincess. No, I never used that screen name. I like it though.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on tipping for the excursions? Do people usually just pick an amount per person like $10 or do they do 15 or 20% of the purchase price?
Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluestars

Hi TwinPrincess. No, I never used that screen name. I like it though.

So, does anyone have any recommendations on tipping for the excursions? Do people usually just pick an amount per person like $10 or do they do 15 or 20% of the purchase price?
Oh um Blue Lagoon is not a screen name. But that tells me its not the name of your beach day excursion either...(that's where ours was )
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 05-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSoup4U

Thanks for the tip. lots of cash. got it! Good to know all these things. I was stressing about the beach. I saw one excursion that cost quite a bit of money, all it involves is a ride to a private beach and snorkelling! thats just crazy! why would i pay when i can get a beach for free? Lol. To each their own i guess.
Well now...there IS a reason we pay for beach excursions. I would say forget the concept of seeing hardly ANY fish on a public beach. If you want to snorkel, you have to go to the fish. But if you want to take a dip, sit in the lounge, be with a million other people, than the public beach is for you... Too bad u aren't going to castaway where that entire day and snorkeling and great beaches are included?

In all honesty, if all I had done at St Maarten was public beach, I would be quite content not to go back.. That is why we pay for nice excursions that take us a away from the hustle and bustle of the port... But my friends always found the nearest public beach, grab a bucket, take a dip and play some volley ball and relax on the beach. Its will NOT be like your excursion. If you want snorkeling, I would not choose a public beach for free...
~05/14 DCL Magic Castaway Cay, WDW & SeaWorld Anniversary Mermaid trip ~ 04/13 DCL Dream & WDW ~ 02/13 CCL Dream V.I.s & WDW ~ 02/12 CCL Conquest Jamaica & Grand Cayman ~ 02/11 CCL Triumph Roatan ~ 09/08 Saratoga Springs WDW ~ 01/07 CCL Holiday Costa Maya~ 11/05 WDW ~ 10/04 Hurricane Ivan Getaway at WDW ~ 12/02 RCCL Legend OTS Hawaii ~ 01/02 WDW, Universal, SeaWorld ~ 6/00 Renais. CL Barcelona - Portugal ~ 99 RCCL Grandeur OTS East Carib.~ 93 RCCL Sovereign OTS East Carib. ~ Many previous family WDW trips~
Old 05-23-2013, 04:19 PM   #15
NoSoup4U
I am Art Vandelay

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinPrincessMermaids

Well now...there IS a reason we pay for beach excursions. I would say forget the concept of seeing hardly ANY fish on a public beach. If you want to snorkel, you have to go to the fish. But if you want to take a dip, sit in the lounge, be with a million other people, than the public beach is for you... Too bad u aren't going to castaway where that entire day and snorkeling and great beaches are included?

In all honesty, if all I had done at St Maarten was public beach, I would be quite content not to go back.. That is why we pay for nice excursions that take us a away from the hustle and bustle of the port... But my friends always found the nearest public beach, grab a bucket, take a dip and play some volley ball and relax on the beach. Its will NOT be like your excursion. If you want snorkeling, I would not choose a public beach for free...
I dont think we will snorkel at st.maarten. we will probably only swim and shop. So I figure in our case the public beach is fine.

We will snorkel at castaway for sure thou.

Any "do not miss" excursion recommendations for st.maarten thou?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: