Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-06-2013, 10:35 PM   #91
bwang123
Posts: 1,457,177,981
 
bwang123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook

It is based on the official terms and conditions released by disney and information from the head of disney parks and the V.P. in charge of MyMagic+. That is a pretty good start.

Check out some of the official information.
this thing is in a total infancy state and is not even released on any capacity except rfid tickets. how can you have an "official" thread when the testing is not even complete? when close to 100% of customers are using the product it makes more sense otherwise you just confuse and raise more questions.

you can quote the terms and services all day but who can definitively say those are what it will end up like? did they just write those to cover themselves during testing to figure out what they have?
__________________
OCT '15 | MAY '15 BLT | OCT '13 VWL (MNSSHP) | MAY '13 BWV | DEC '12 SSR/AKV | MAR '12 ASM/ASSp/BLT | MAR '11 POFQ/CBR | MAY '08 CS | '95 DL Offsite | '93 & '94 DW Offiste

bwang123 is offline  
Old 05-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #92
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!
 
monorailrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
The DVC magazine Disney Files had a full story on mymagic+ as if it was all ready to go. I think that is a clear sign that they intended this to be launched before April. Everything said early on by the execs that there would be testing happening fairly soon when they blew this story up on January 9. 1/3 of the year later and not a word has come from those same execs.

Completely understandable though. The app and websites and park wifi are virtually unusable at this point.
Ah, gotcha! Thanks Mr. bcrook!
__________________
monorailrabbit is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #93
andyman8
DIS Veteran

 
andyman8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,951

Just to summarize what I think WDW is doing with this whole FP+/MyMagic+ thing.

It seems like online check-in will be moved to 60 days in advance. At that point, resort guests will get to check-in (like they've been doing since it started), make any room requests, and now make FP+ selections. It seems like guests will have a maximum of three per day (though that does seem very low) that can only be used at one of the four theme parks. This information, along with park tickets, dining plan, PhotoPass pictures, and a charge card will be stored on a guest's MagicBand.

Days guests, at some point in this process, will also get to make FP+ reservations. They will use RFID-enabled tickets to enter the park, while Disney Resort Hotel guests will use their MagicBands to enter the park at RFID turnstiles.

These selections can be for rides, shows, parades, fireworks, or character greetings. Each one would take up one FP+ entitlement. Standard FASTPASS with not be available.

Anytime up until arrival or even upon arrival at one of theme parks, guests can change their FP+ selections with in-park kiosks or the My Disney Experience app on any smartphone or iPod Touch (or similar device with WiFi connectivity). Guests will have one hour return windows to use their FP+ for a specific attractions, which if missed, cannot be replaced by another attraction. While experiencing these attractions, guests using MyMagic+ will be congratulated regarding specific celebrations (like birthdays and anniversaries) by different elements in rides. For example, Mike from Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor could wish little Jimmy from Miami a happy tenth birthday without his mom or dad ever speaking to a CM or even having him wear a button.

Now, there are several problems with this system.

First of all, I'm left to assume that you cannot change or cancel your reservation after you've checked-in online 60 days in advance but what if Uncle Lou suddenly dies and you have to cancel even if you've purchased trip insurance? One is left to assume you won't get your money back if you've checked-in.

Next, if guests can only use it at one park per day, that would discourage park hopping, thus encouraging guests to spend LESS money.

Finally, without FASTPASS available, how can somebody not plan their trip? What about locals or those who plan their mini-trips one week in advance? Will there still be much desirable FP+ availability.

Ideally, Disney should offer 70% FP+ reservations 10 days in advance when any Disney Resort Hotel guest checks-in online. The service should offer at least 2 major and 2 minor attraction FP+ reservations. 30% of these reservations should be made available on the actual day. Standard FP should still be available. This service should also only be available for Disney Resort Guests only. I have nothing against offsite guests (I've been one many times) but at least at the beginning, they need to work with small numbers. Also, you don't have much room for regular FP when you're offering FP+ to everyone in the park. Also, it should be able to accommodate park hopping.

These are just my thoughts. Now basically all of this is speculation, so we'll have to wait and see.
__________________
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)


Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #94
Suellen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Celebration, Florida
Posts: 5,232

I actually know a CM on the fastpass plus development team...

I haven't picked her brain too much because I don't want to be too annoying to her.

I can tell you that the QS uses of FP+ will NOT use one of your FP options for the day. I didn't specifically ask about the parades and such.


ETA: We did specifically ask about the paper FP's and they WILL be phased out. There WILL be kiosks in the park to book FP+ for the CURRENT day.


I also saw some FP+ team members out and about in Epcot today. They appeared to have lanyards filled with FP+ cards. Not sure if they have been around for a while or not.. I just happened to notice them today.
__________________

Last edited by Suellen; 05-07-2013 at 04:27 PM.
Suellen is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #95
lmm72
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Michigan
Posts: 12

What is QS?
lmm72 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:45 PM   #96
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 25,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmm72 View Post
What is QS?
Quick service, also known as counter service.
__________________
WDW: 45 visits (4 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 12 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #97
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!
 
monorailrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
Just to summarize what I think WDW is doing with this whole FP+/MyMagic+ thing.

It seems like online check-in will be moved to 60 days in advance. At that point, resort guests will get to check-in (like they've been doing since it started), make any room requests, and now make FP+ selections. It seems like guests will have a maximum of three per day (though that does seem very low) that can only be used at one of the four theme parks. This information, along with park tickets, dining plan, PhotoPass pictures, and a charge card will be stored on a guest's MagicBand.

Days guests, at some point in this process, will also get to make FP+ reservations. They will use RFID-enabled tickets to enter the park, while Disney Resort Hotel guests will use their MagicBands to enter the park at RFID turnstiles.

These selections can be for rides, shows, parades, fireworks, or character greetings. Each one would take up one FP+ entitlement. Standard FASTPASS with not be available.

Anytime up until arrival or even upon arrival at one of theme parks, guests can change their FP+ selections with in-park kiosks or the My Disney Experience app on any smartphone or iPod Touch (or similar device with WiFi connectivity). Guests will have one hour return windows to use their FP+ for a specific attractions, which if missed, cannot be replaced by another attraction. While experiencing these attractions, guests using MyMagic+ will be congratulated regarding specific celebrations (like birthdays and anniversaries) by different elements in rides. For example, Mike from Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor could wish little Jimmy from Miami a happy tenth birthday without his mom or dad ever speaking to a CM or even having him wear a button.

Now, there are several problems with this system.

First of all, I'm left to assume that you cannot change or cancel your reservation after you've checked-in online 60 days in advance but what if Uncle Lou suddenly dies and you have to cancel even if you've purchased trip insurance? One is left to assume you won't get your money back if you've checked-in.

Next, if guests can only use it at one park per day, that would discourage park hopping, thus encouraging guests to spend LESS money.

Finally, without FASTPASS available, how can somebody not plan their trip? What about locals or those who plan their mini-trips one week in advance? Will there still be much desirable FP+ availability.

Ideally, Disney should offer 70% FP+ reservations 10 days in advance when any Disney Resort Hotel guest checks-in online. The service should offer at least 2 major and 2 minor attraction FP+ reservations. 30% of these reservations should be made available on the actual day. Standard FP should still be available. This service should also only be available for Disney Resort Guests only. I have nothing against offsite guests (I've been one many times) but at least at the beginning, they need to work with small numbers. Also, you don't have much room for regular FP when you're offering FP+ to everyone in the park. Also, it should be able to accommodate park hopping.

These are just my thoughts. Now basically all of this is speculation, so we'll have to wait and see.
Very good points! I totally agree with all of this! I would also like to add to the issues that it states you will be able to move your times around... not sure how easy this will be if everyone is planning days, weeks, months in advance. Also, there are supposidly going to be "surpise FP" awarded to you, what if you don't have/choose not to carry your smartphone? Do you just not get any "magical surprises?"
__________________
monorailrabbit is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #98
CuteAsMinnie
DIS Veteran
 
CuteAsMinnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,702

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit View Post
Very good points! I totally agree with all of this! I would also like to add to the issues that it states you will be able to move your times around... not sure how easy this will be if everyone is planning days, weeks, months in advance. Also, there are supposidly going to be "surpise FP" awarded to you, what if you don't have/choose not to carry your smartphone? Do you just not get any "magical surprises?"
Pretty much looks that way. Unless..... Cindy sees you sitting on the curb looking all forlorn cuz you don't have a smart phone and says, "hi there, monorailrabbit. (she'll know your name cuz you WILL be wearing a snazzy magicband) You're looking a little blue.... Here is some magic for you.... A golden fastpass++ for you!"

__________________
CBR - 1989 (first trip)
CBR - 1995
Wilderness Lodge - 1998, 2001, 2005, 2007
Wilderness Lodge Old Faithful Club - 2010, 2013, 2015
We'll be home soon...

CuteAsMinnie is offline  
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 PM   #99
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!
 
monorailrabbit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln, NE
Posts: 581

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
Pretty much looks that way. Unless..... Cindy sees you sitting on the curb looking all forlorn cuz you don't have a smart phone and says, "hi there, monorailrabbit. (she'll know your name cuz you WILL be wearing a snazzy magicband) You're looking a little blue.... Here is some magic for you.... A golden fastpass++ for you!"

Ha! Love it! This better happen!
__________________
monorailrabbit is offline  
Old 05-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #100
bcrook
DIS Veteran

 
bcrook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 4,013

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
Pretty much looks that way. Unless..... Cindy sees you sitting on the curb looking all forlorn cuz you don't have a smart phone and says, "hi there, monorailrabbit. (she'll know your name cuz you WILL be wearing a snazzy magicband) You're looking a little blue.... Here is some magic for you.... A golden fastpass++ for you!"

It would be a little creepy if CMs had receptors and could walk around, read your name, and talk to you. I know it is not planned, but still...weird.
__________________
-Barry
  • FP+ original discussions "What we know, what we want to know" can be found at this site.
  • Best WDW insider fact or story thread.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline  
Old 05-09-2013, 01:39 PM   #101
jar
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 183

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post

Next, if guests can only use it at one park per day, that would discourage park hopping, thus encouraging guests to spend LESS money.
I posted this comment earlier in this thread, but I really don't understand the comment that it will discourage park hopping if guests can use it at one park per day. To me, FP+ will make park hopping much better because I can get 3 fast passes at my afternoon/evening park in advance (and forego fast passes for my morning park when lines are shorter) rather than show up in park 2 and have all of the good fastpasses gone or for many hours in the future. Right now, I can't go to DHS in the afternoon and expect to ride TSM. Same for Epcot and Soarin. If I show up at MK in the mid-afternoon, it will be many hours before I can use my FP on BTMRR, SM or PP. But with FP+, all of the sudden, I can do something else in the morning and have fastpasses in hand for my afternoons. That is a huge improvement. In fact, for my June trip, I had been looking forward to FP+ and being able to split a day between AK (am) and DHS (pm), but now have to re-think that because TSM is the main thing we want to ride at DHS and we wouldn't be able to do that (too bad there's no way to exchange fastpasses - like get an EE FP in the morning for an afternoon return and trade it in for TSM when we switch parks!).
jar is offline  
Old 05-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #102
andyman8
DIS Veteran

 
andyman8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,951

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
I posted this comment earlier in this thread, but I really don't understand the comment that it will discourage park hopping if guests can use it at one park per day. To me, FP+ will make park hopping much better because I can get 3 fast passes at my afternoon/evening park in advance (and forego fast passes for my morning park when lines are shorter) rather than show up in park 2 and have all of the good fastpasses gone or for many hours in the future. Right now, I can't go to DHS in the afternoon and expect to ride TSM. Same for Epcot and Soarin. If I show up at MK in the mid-afternoon, it will be many hours before I can use my FP on BTMRR, SM or PP. But with FP+, all of the sudden, I can do something else in the morning and have fastpasses in hand for my afternoons. That is a huge improvement. In fact, for my June trip, I had been looking forward to FP+ and being able to split a day between AK (am) and DHS (pm), but now have to re-think that because TSM is the main thing we want to ride at DHS and we wouldn't be able to do that (too bad there's no way to exchange fastpasses - like get an EE FP in the morning for an afternoon return and trade it in for TSM when we switch parks!).
Generally, though, the majority of WDW guests do not do rope drop and arrive at park one around 11am and hop over to park two around 5 or 6pm.
__________________
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)


Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline  
Old 05-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #103
jar
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 183

FP+ is good for an 11am arrival too. You don't have to stress about rope drops anymore.
jar is offline  
Old 05-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #104
andyman8
DIS Veteran

 
andyman8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2,951

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar View Post
FP+ is good for an 11am arrival too. You don't have to stress about rope drops anymore.
But think for a moment about the alternative. Assuming you get three FP+s, you get to choose 3 attractions (let's assume there's no restrictions; three of your choice) but there's no standard FP. If you stay in the same park (so no PH) until 7pm, you've spent 8 hrs in the park. Let's assume your able to get one FP every two hours, so one at 11am, one at 1pm, one at 3pm, and one at 5pm. Right there, you've just gotten four and that's only with 8 hours in the park. You are getting more FP line access with the current system than the new one.
__________________
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)


Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline  
Old 05-09-2013, 02:45 PM   #105
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran
 
mom2rtk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 29,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyman8 View Post
But think for a moment about the alternative. Assuming you get three FP+s, you get to choose 3 attractions (let's assume there's no restrictions; three of your choice) but there's no standard FP. If you stay in the same park (so no PH) until 7pm, you've spent 8 hrs in the park. Let's assume your able to get one FP every two hours, so one at 11am, one at 1pm, one at 3pm, and one at 5pm. Right there, you've just gotten four and that's only with 8 hours in the park. You are getting more FP line access with the current system than the new one.
.......and under the current system 2 hours is a worst case scenario. Often you can get them sooner than that.
mom2rtk is online now  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: