Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Waterproof cameras

I've been planning on using disposable waterproof cameras for our excursions and at CC but after doing the math ($7-9 ea for 27 exp + $10 ea to develop), I wonder if its better just to get a digital waterproof camera.

Amazon has a Kodak Easy share sport c123 for $70 (12mp, 10 ft deep). I don't think I'd want to spend more than that since we don't vacation much.

Any thoughts?

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:47 AM   #2
TwinPrincessMermaids
DIS Veteran

We tried that too last year. I hope you do better than we did. I forgot which one we got, but we paid over $100 for it I think. The sad thing is that it took AMAZING motion shots. You could get pics of all four of my doggies feet off the ground! It was super fast. But for the stingray encounter, the FIRST time it got under water? It had water condensation in it RIGHT AWAY. It went right back after our trip.

This year, we bought these black and clear plastic water cameras for $15 on the ship (not DCL). They actualy turned out to be amazing. AND NOT DISPOSABLE. Surprisingly, you can reload normal film into it, which is what we did. The photos I have posted for my castaway cay fish column are all taken on it. Of course not every photo turns out (because its hard to shoot underwater) but I got some great ones with it.

I bought a box of film and with these 2 waterproof reusable, I'll be good for a while.

Do I wish it was digital? Sure, but after the one we had, I just don't trust it and take my film to Walgreens and get a CD. for $15 and some film, I have definitely gotten my money's worth. In fact, the Walgreens guy was amazed at it because you can open and close back up the waterproof case. He thought it was a pretty cool camera.

It was this camera:
TwinPrincessMermaids is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I got one off of Amazon for under $100 on our cruise...took amazing photos underwater.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #4
Tara619
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
I got one off of Amazon for under $100 on our cruise...took amazing photos underwater.
Do you know the brand?

June 27-July 4, 2015 Disney Fantasy
June 22-29, 2013 Disney Fantasy
June 9-15, 2009 All Star Movies
April 10-17, 2004 Disney Magic
May 30-June 2, 2002 Disney Wonder
Tara619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:04 AM   #5
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

I would certainly go digital, your colour balance is off taking pics underwater and just a little adjustment with basic photo editing software makes a world of difference.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
aenan
Earning My Ears

Last year we took a Kodak Playful on vacation with us. It only gets okay reviews on amazon but I was really impressed! $40 or so was the cost and we have the most amazing underwater pictures from it! We've had other waterproof cameras but was impressed by this one!
aenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
black magic
Earning My Ears

I purchased a Sony waterproof digital camera before our 2011 Dream cruise and it took amazing pictures and video. The only downfall of this camera is interior shots. I would not recomend it for your "full-time" pocket camera. I realize you are leaning toward a more inxpensive camera, but if you spend a lot of time outside and take pictures, this camera is tough and takes great outdoor pictures.
black magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #8
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

We have 2 Olympus cameras that are waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof. Love them and use them all the time, not just for travel.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #9
mom2aidanNpiper
DIS Veteran

We just bought a new digital because our old canon was getting glitchy. We do have a very nice DSLR however we wanted something portable and could withstand the elements. We were also going to Aulani so we wanted an underwater camera as well.

Its out of your price range but we love the one we bought. Its an Olympus tough. It took great indoor and outdoor pics, as well as amazing underwater pool and snorkeling pics.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Olympus+...ough&cp=1&lp=2

You can see all our photos (day 4 & 5 especially have underwater and beach shots) at: http://ouradventuresasafoursome.blogspot.com/?m=0
we used it pretty much as our primary camera, and will from now on. Also, I dropped it and banged it on a rock during a hike and it was fine definitely durable!

DL: 1985, 1988, 1994, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012 (x2),2013 (x2) WDW: 2010 DCL: 2010, 2011, 2012 Aulani : 2013, 2014
mom2aidanNpiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Embraer
Mouseketeer

Try this thread as well
Old 05-08-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
CruznLexi
DIS Veteran

We bought the easy share some time ago nearly 2 years ago to take to HH to use in the pool. Well it has turned into my full time camera. The pictures it takes are great and we have used in pools at Kidani, HH, Vero and the snorkeling area at CC and grand Turk too.
CruznLexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #12
thdarragh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara619 View Post
I've been planning on using disposable waterproof cameras for our excursions and at CC but after doing the math ($7-9 ea for 27 exp + $10 ea to develop), I wonder if its better just to get a digital waterproof camera.

Amazon has a Kodak Easy share sport c123 for $70 (12mp, 10 ft deep). I don't think I'd want to spend more than that since we don't vacation much.

Any thoughts?
If I were you I'd look into the waterproof digital cameras. They cost a bit more but, unlike the disposable film version you mention, are reusable. You also get the advantage of having immediate access to your photos. You can get one similar to the disposable film camera for about $30 (I'd guess) or you can spend a little more and get a nice point and shoot digital camera that can be used underwater. They run anywhere from $70.00 to $200 I'd say. Just "google" digital underwater camera or waterproof digital camera.

I have this one but it also serves as a nice, more portable, everyday
camera that the kids can use. But I am a photo buff and LOVE cameras!

http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/digi...ough-tg-1.html

Good luck.
thdarragh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Debers17
Mouseketeer

I found and bought an underwater housing unit that was specifically made for my point and shoot Sony digital. When I first bought the camera it was about $200 and I found one almost brand new for $15 on ebay! I love my Sony and didn't want to give up the quality of photos for a disposable. If you already have a digital that you like, it's possible there might be a underwater housing unit for it. GL!

Oct. 7, 2012 Dream sailing for
Me DH Brian DS Noah (9) & DD Jenavieve (8)
BEST FAMILY VACATION EVER!!!
Debers17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
NickyDa
Mouseketeer

Panasonic Lumix

Before our last DCL vacation, we purchased a Panasonic Lumix TS4 12.1 TOUGH Waterproof Digital Camera with 4.6x Optical Zoom (Orange) from newegg.com. It's a great size to carry around and we have also used it as a regular point-and-shoot on land.

Here are some pics from this weekend

And a fish in the water at Castaway Cay (very close to shore and a bit cloudy)

Premium Annual Passholders: WDW Regulars! runDisney Fanatics
(absolutely no way to list how many times we have been to WDW)

Wonder (5-night Eastern) 3/20/2015
Magic (7-night Eastern kid-free) 10/26/2014
Fantasy (7-night Western) 5/25/2013
Dream (4-night) 6/20/2012
Dream (3-night) 3/31/2011
NickyDa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #15
racingfandj
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post
We have 2 Olympus cameras that are waterproof, shockproof and freezeproof. Love them and use them all the time, not just for travel.
I second and third the Olympus Tough. My DD dropped mine while ice skating the very first day we had it. We've taken hundreds of pictures land and sea in both pool and ocean and even video. I can't say enough good things about it. My kids like to take it to the pool and play with it during the summer just to be goofy. They'll attach the floating strap and have a blast.

Jill
Disney Magic - November 2013
Disney Magic - January 2014

Anxiously Waiting for
Fantasy - June/July 2014
Fantasy - November 2014
Wonder - May 2015
racingfandj is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: