DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
nd43
Disney Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 182

Buying a brand new resort- BLT experience

For those that purchased BLT at the very beginning, I was wondering what type of deals Disney was offering out of the gate?

As we wait on the BWV waiting list I realized there is a decent chance VGF will be announced and I was curious how good the opening deals might be. I realize they are setting it up to be very expensive but do they try and make a push early just to get some momentum out of the gate? Any chance it could "drop" to something like $150? I know, crazy to think of that as a price drop but I was thinking that would be "best case" if they had aggressive early deals?

They also appear to be setting up the point chart to be even higher then BLT which could make the whole thing crazy expensive as well.

Just looking for opening deal experience as we sit and wait!

I am not sure it would take us off the BWV plan but you never know!
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 PM   #2
myxdvz
DVC - BLT
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 651

When we bought, the incentives were some cash discount, i think it was $6 or was it $12/pt? But the one I really wanted and what sold me was a free cruise for a family of 4 on the new ship, the Disney Dream.

If they provide another cruise incentive (Fantasy maybe), I might actually bite again. Heh.
__________________
Kids: W(2), X (9), Y(7), Z(5)
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-11-2013, 01:56 AM   #3
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,570

If I remember correctly the price is higher initially to take advantage of the excited buyers and the people who want to be founders.

Then they offer different deals as they warn of a price increase.

Depending on their expected sales, how they are meeting their quota and other factors they will play the deal/price increase game until they are sold out.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 AM   #4
bakerworld
DIS Veteran
 
bakerworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 722

Best deal was AKL in 2008: 160 pts at $106, DVC gifted $5000 towards purchase, no MF until May '09 which were prorated until Kidani opened and 160 pts at SSR to use 'free'. Use Disney card to put $500 'down' and the visa card gave you $500 in cash back. Nice deal.

BLT was good in '09 - 100 pts at $108 = received double pts plus 3N cruise.
__________________


AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
rlovew
Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 13,317
DISboards Moderator

We bought BLT before opening but after the initial offering. When we bought I think the cruise incentive was available but we went for the discount on the points and got them for $92 a point. Our points were not usable until the resort opened but that was only a few months away at that point. They also got us a reservation at Thanksgiving using the points at BLT as part of our buying in.
__________________
Me and DH
rlovew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
nd43
Disney Fan
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 182

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
If I remember correctly the price is higher initially to take advantage of the excited buyers and the people who want to be founders.

Then they offer different deals as they warn of a price increase.

Depending on their expected sales, how they are meeting their quota and other factors they will play the deal/price increase game until they are sold out.

Bill
Hi bill, that is what I was curious about. If the first deals were not the best (because they sold to people eagerly waiting for the resort) and if it was the second phase deals that were better. I was not sure if Disney had that pattern or not. Given we are waiting for our first purchase on the waiting list, if VGF opens up, we will only probably see the very first deals before having to make our decision about BWV. Of course, the point chart could also be so crazy that the price per point might not much matter because to stay a week will take so many points. Even if they had a decent point offer the idea of having a home resort you could not book for a week because the point cost was so high would appear to be a bad idea!

All that being said, the idea of buying in early in a fresh resort does have some appeal, given we are going direct, it will be the price everyone had to pay to start anyway at VGF. The people that purchased early at BLT have appeared to fair pretty well given the later price increases and current resale market.
nd43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:41 AM   #7
oneprincessjo
Mouseketeer
 
oneprincessjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 411

When we bought into BLT we bought 100 points at $120 per point and DVC gave us a 10% downpayment as an incentive. Earlier this year we added an additional 50 point BLT contract directly through DVC and paid $165 per point. Yikes! But still worth it to us.
__________________



February 25th - March 1st 2008: Wilderness Lodge - Honeymoon and First EVER Disney World Trip!!!
November 28th - December 3rd 2010: Wilderness Lodge
February 26th - March 1st 2012: Bay Lake Tower
November 24th 2012: Old Key West
November 25th - 29th 2012: Bay Lake Tower
January 23rd 2014: Beach Club Villas
January 24th - 31st 2014: Bay Lake Tower
oneprincessjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us
 
bobbiwoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Washington Township OH and Cape May NJ
Posts: 61,019

Thanks for this thread.

We were not interested in BLT when it came out. However, we have stayed there and decided that it would be a better fit for us than the DVC at the GF due to cost and the reality that people would be buying week long shares. We did not want to be up against those people for December weeks which we think would be very popular ones to buy.

So, we have bought 100 BLT points @ $96 very recently. We have enough other points to use for items like DCL cruises and other things that these points can't buy.

For those of you who were early BLT buyers, Congratulations!

Bobbi
__________________
bobbiwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #9
disneynutz


Earning My Ears One At A Time
 
disneynutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 18,570

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Hi bill, that is what I was curious about. If the first deals were not the best (because they sold to people eagerly waiting for the resort) and if it was the second phase deals that were better. I was not sure if Disney had that pattern or not. Given we are waiting for our first purchase on the waiting list, if VGF opens up, we will only probably see the very first deals before having to make our decision about BWV. Of course, the point chart could also be so crazy that the price per point might not much matter because to stay a week will take so many points. Even if they had a decent point offer the idea of having a home resort you could not book for a week because the point cost was so high would appear to be a bad idea!

All that being said, the idea of buying in early in a fresh resort does have some appeal, given we are going direct, it will be the price everyone had to pay to start anyway at VGF. The people that purchased early at BLT have appeared to fair pretty well given the later price increases and current resale market.
DVD is under new management and from what I have been told new guy doesn't know anything about DVD/DVC. He might stick with past sales tactics or he might want to make his mark and come up with something new.

My guess is that he will be under massive pressure to perform with VGF coming on line. The construction IMO is moving slower than normal and I bet we don't see completion until 2014.

The recent price increases are a step towards setting the VGF price. If sales are slow, there may be some better deals after the initial offer. With DCL having trouble filling cabins, I expect to see some "free" cruise offers latter on.

Bill
__________________

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #10
disfanforlife
DIS Veteran
 
disfanforlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,826

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
Best deal was AKL in 2008: 160 pts at $106, DVC gifted $5000 towards purchase, no MF until May '09 which were prorated until Kidani opened and 160 pts at SSR to use 'free'. Use Disney card to put $500 'down' and the visa card gave you $500 in cash back. Nice deal.

BLT was good in '09 - 100 pts at $108 = received double pts plus 3N cruise.
We bought AKL in 2008 but didn't get that deal. Timing is everything, right? We paid $96/point. No MF until 09 and we did get the SSR developer points as well as our 2008 points (no MF on them) which we banked.
__________________
MeDH DD(20) DD(19) DS(14)
disfanforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
csharpwv
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,335

We own at 4 home resorts and have never paid more than $98 per point.

At BLT we received $$$ off per point AND a 7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Magic.

However, in no way was BLT our best deal - $41.85 at HHI

That was with a year of points banked... and a year of points available, It was a resale purchase before all of the resale changes went into effect. Disney was selling HHI for $85 per point, and they didn't have our use year and told us to buy resale.

I've given thought to VGF, and I will be a little surprised if it goes on the market for less than $180 p/p - I know that sounds extremely high, but they will have some type of promo on it - and will take it back down to $160 p/p or so. OR They may start sales at $200 per point, and drop dues below that of BLT.

The thought of higher point cost, and lower point value to book a room would never work out - then people (like us) that bought points for incredibly low prices.... would have access to a resort that is far more expensive. So that's not going to happen... unless they introduce a new class of resorts with additional benefits and such - and offer an upgrade to BLT members. I can see that happening - they would love to get more out of current owners since that resort didn't sell at near the prices that they hoped it would.

Anyway... all speculation!
__________________
DVC Member since 2008
Home Resorts
-Animal Kingdom Villas
-Bay Lake Tower
-Saratoga Springs
-Hilton Head Island
csharpwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #12
DougEMG
DIS Veteran
 
DougEMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,753

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
Of course, the point chart could also be so crazy that the price per point might not much matter because to stay a week will take so many points. Even if they had a decent point offer the idea of having a home resort you could not book for a week because the point cost was so high would appear to be a bad idea!
Here's a funny thought...what if VGF owners start booking at lower point cost per night resorts to make their extremely expensive direct points go further, this could open up the resort at the 7 month mark to people with a large amount of points that they got fairly cheap at resale.

Not that I think this will happen; it's never happened anywhere else (has it?); but it would be funny.
__________________
DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:04 PM   #13
ELMC
DIS Veteran
 
ELMC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 1,981

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougEMG

Here's a funny thought...what if VGF owners start booking at lower point cost per night resorts to make their extremely expensive direct points go further, this could open up the resort at the 7 month mark to people with a large amount of points that they got fairly cheap at resale.

Not that I think this will happen; it's never happened anywhere else (has it?); but it would be funny.
One thing that could happen is that owners simply drop the ball. We've seen on here many times people saying that they book 4-6 months out. If VGF owners try that, they might be gravely disappointed that all the availability has been taken by resale SSR owners at 8am on the 7 month window.
__________________
ELMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #14
DougEMG
DIS Veteran
 
DougEMG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Victoria, BC, Canada
Posts: 1,753

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
One thing that could happen is that owners simply drop the ball. We've seen on here many times people saying that they book 4-6 months out. If VGF owners try that, they might be gravely disappointed that all the availability has been taken by resale SSR owners at 8am on the 7 month window.
I'll probably try VGF once, assuming I can tear myself away from BWV, although I said that about BLT and haven't got around to trying to stay their yet.
__________________
DougEMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
agame2323
DIS Veteran
 
agame2323's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 875

Quote:
Originally Posted by nd43 View Post
For those that purchased BLT at the very beginning, I was wondering what type of deals Disney was offering out of the gate?

As we wait on the BWV waiting list I realized there is a decent chance VGF will be announced and I was curious how good the opening deals might be. I realize they are setting it up to be very expensive but do they try and make a push early just to get some momentum out of the gate? Any chance it could "drop" to something like $150? I know, crazy to think of that as a price drop but I was thinking that would be "best case" if they had aggressive early deals?

They also appear to be setting up the point chart to be even higher then BLT which could make the whole thing crazy expensive as well.

Just looking for opening deal experience as we sit and wait!

I am not sure it would take us off the BWV plan but you never know!
What is VGF?
agame2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.