Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
Cptjackandcrew
Mouseketeer

DSLR Camera Recommendation

We're planning to purchase a DSLR camera for our upcoming cruise. We've only had point and shoots. Any recommendations for a novice? Thank you.

Cptjackandcrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Keggy
So this is a first for us
Thank you everyone for the great welcome!

We have Nikon 5100. It came with two lenses. It was fairly easy to learn how to use and over the years I've been able to learn more.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

The Canon Rebel is a nice entry level DSLR, easy to use. I still have mine and have upgraded the lens and I think that's probably all I will ever need.

Now while it's "easy" to use it does have a ton of features. I bought the "Canon T3 For Dummies" book and it has been a great help in finding all the features
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Nikon D5100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keggy View Post

We have Nikon 5100. It came with two lenses. It was fairly easy to learn how to use and over the years I've been able to learn more.
I too have the Nikon D5100. It's a nice entry-level DSLR with plenty of features.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

I will 2nd the Canon Rebel T3. I bought mine on Amazon for $499 - it came with a 2nd long range lens free (as a promo). I've never regreted the investment. You want to get at least a 12 or 14 mp as well as a 32 GB SD card. I have one and it holds 3,000 plus photos.

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Rebel-T3.../dp/B004J3Y9U6

I bought it a week before my CA Route 1 road trip (*which I highly recommend) and I had no issues with it at all. It also functions as a video camera but I didn't use that feature.

I've found it very easy to use. In the beginning you can keep it on the automatic focus feature until you learn more about it.

I've taken some truly amazing photos that I never thought I was capable of.

I cannot wait to use mine on our cruise!

Read reviews online. Go to Youtube and watch reviews. Figure out what you want to do with it and make your decision.

Cannon - Nikon -- you can't go wrong with either.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Disney Canadian
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptjackandcrew View Post
We're planning to purchase a DSLR camera for our upcoming cruise. We've only had point and shoots. Any recommendations for a novice? Thank you.
I have a Nikon but Canon is just as good photo quality wise and technically. I would recommend buying in store (or at least handling a few before purchasing). It's all about the feel, Nikon was lighter and just felt better in my hands.

I would also recommend some beginner/orientation sessions to learn the basics of your camera. We have some camera stores here in Canada that offer these courses for approximately $80 (just a few hours each). I think it is an excellent value and I'm sure you would be able to find something equivalent in the US.
January 2013: Port Orleans - French Quarter
Sept/Oct 2013: AOA-Little Mermaid/Western Caribbean Cruise - Fantasy
February 2014: Pop Century/4 Night to the Bahamas on the Reimagined Magic!

November 2014: Caribbean Beach for DD's 5th Birthday
October 2015: Eastern Caribbean - Fantasy

Disney Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
london75
DIS Veteran

I can highly recommend the Sony SLTs, they use a permanent translucent mirror so are slightly different to an DSLR, technically a DSLT but the effect is phenomenally fast focussing between shots to the point where it can perform continuous focus in video which was the main reason I bought it. The results are stunning on the A77 I have but the new A58 is brilliant, affordable, can use older Minolta lenses which are readily available on eBay and very easy to use.
london75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
Disney Canadian
Mouseketeer

My 2 favourite lenses? Macro and Telephoto! I would definitely recommend both of these and an off camera flash. Oh! and a tripod - I must for a lot of situations but especially for low lighting/night time.

Learn how to use it (it's fun!)...don't use the auto features...if you're going to do that just bring a point and shoot.
January 2013: Port Orleans - French Quarter
Sept/Oct 2013: AOA-Little Mermaid/Western Caribbean Cruise - Fantasy
February 2014: Pop Century/4 Night to the Bahamas on the Reimagined Magic!

November 2014: Caribbean Beach for DD's 5th Birthday
October 2015: Eastern Caribbean - Fantasy

Disney Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
jfahome
DIS Veteran

As you can see, you're going to get people who love Canon's and people who love Nikon's. I've only had experience with the Canon's and love them (again, people feel exactly the same for Nikon). I'd suggest going to a camera shop and test them out and see how the features work and see what you are most comfortable with. They both have great cameras.

1st DCL - May 2009, 7 night Magic Western
2nd DCL - Jan 30,2010 7 night Magic Eastern
3rd DCL - Sept 8, 2011 - 3 night Disney Dream
4th DCL - May 5, 2012 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
5th DCL - Aug 11, 2012 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
6th DCL - Apr 20, 2013 - 7 night Eastern Disney Fantasy
7th DCL - Jan 10, 2014 - 3 night Bahamas Disney Magic
8th DCL - May 15, 2015 - 15 night Eastbound Transatlantic Disney Magic
jfahome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:45 PM   #10
Dizpinfriend
Sarcasm, just another free service I offer..

I'm jumping on the bandwagon looking for suggestions as well... I am wanting a DSLR also - I am really happy with my point and shoot, but find myself intrigued by playing around with settings. I borrowed my friends Nikon D5100 and I did like the weight of it, as well as the pictures it took - I am leaning towards that model - the D5200 recently came out, so there are deals to be found on the 5100...

Why do you have to "put your two cents in".. but it's only a
"penny for your thoughts"? Where's that extra penny going?
Dizpinfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #11
cisobe
Mouseketeer

If you are moving from a Point and Shoot to a DSLR, you may also want to take a look at micro four/thirds or mirrorless cameras. They are similar to typical DSLRs but do not have the mirror box, therefore they are a bit smaller.

Sony and Panasonic are the two primary companies that make them (however Canon just released their own version recently). It's a half step between a full DSLR and a Point and Shoot. You get the improved image quality from a larger sensor, but have a reduced size which makes them a little easier to use. My friend has a Sony NEX5 and its a pretty neat little camera that handles pretty well.

I've been using DSLRs for 8+ years, and friends typically ask me about cameras, and what DSLR they should get. What I've noticed is 50% of the people think that if they buy a DSLR, their images will instantly get better because they spent more on their camera which is not true. this 50% also find that it's not worth lugging their big camera around, and end up not really using it as much as they thought they would have... These people probably would have been a little better off if they bought a smaller mirrorless/micro fourthirds camera. The other half of the people get into cameras, and don't mind carrying around a camera bag everywhere they go (i fall into this category, and typically lug my 5D3, flash, and typical 2-3 lenses with me on vacation all th time).

Anyways, as other's have suggested, go down to best buy and handle the cameras... bring a SD card with you, sometimes you can stick them in and take a few pictures and see how the pictures come out. try to autofocus on things, test how long it takes between pressing the shutter release and how long it takes to take the picture... ask if you can try putting on the other lenses (most entry level kits will come with a 18-55 and a 55-200 or 70-300 lens). see how big the camera is, etc.

Good luck!
cisobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Canon Rebel T3...love mine
Old 05-03-2013, 06:11 PM   #13
santam01
Earning My Ears

Both are great, just shop around and fine the best deal. Sometimes there are deals were u get better lens then other (lens also have a lot todo with a camera) But make sure you get a feel for them... My sister got a D5100 and didn't like it cause she has small hands, so she had a harder time holding it but I love mine.
santam01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 PM   #14
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

If you are an Amazon Prime member you get free shipping they often have very good deals. SO my recommendation is to do what I did. Go to a local store, I went to Best Buy, and look at the camera, handle it etc. THEN I went home and ordered it online taking advantage of the savings. I just don't use the sales person that way I don't feel like I'm wasting anyones time.

I'm always looking for a deal that will allow me to get back to DISNEY!

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #15
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

I'd stay away from the non 'i' models of Canon. So look for the 3Ti for example.

For Nikon, a D5100 or even a D3100 (or D3200).

In any case, get two lenses - an 18-55 for general use and a 55-105 for zoom
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: