Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #1
ThePicketts
Mouseketeer

Disney excursions vs non Disney

I know the corporate line is that if you are with Disney you're safe, but does anyone know of anyone that used a non Disney excursion that was left behind because they were late for the ship.
NO URBAN LEGENDS PLEASE.
ThePicketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 12:00 PM   #2
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Can't speak to anyone being left behind. But last year on a 7 day Western cruise we took the Costa Maya Ruins tour, through Disney. We got to the site & started the tour, made it to the 1st pyramid & it "really" started to pour. We stood under a tree for 15 to 20 minutes with no let up. We all eventually made it back to the gift shop area to get out of the rain & waited there until the bus was ready to take us back to the ship (still raining). On a lark I went to the excursion desk & asked if we could get a refund, they said they would check with the company that ran the excursion. That night we heard from some of our MDR dinner mates, that they tried to get a refund, from their non Disney booked ruins tour & were unsuccessful because their tour had started. That night we got a message form the Excursion desk noting that due to the weather we would get a full refund. Can't speak to whether any other Disney booked folks got a refund or not.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
cgolf
DIS Veteran

Can't speak to being left behind, but we were on the dolphin excursion through Disney in Cozumel, and if we didn't hold up the ship, we were one of the last to get on. The piece of mind knowing that the ship would be there was worth the extra cost you pay for Disney. Had we been on a private tour, I am not convinced we would have made it back on board, it was for sure after the all aboard time when we got back.

cgolf
Fantasy 1/13, 1/14
cgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
algae
Mouseketeer

Maybe not quite what you are asking for...

Once we arrived at the airport at Venice, Italy (not CA ). On our way out of the arrivals area, we overheard a couple at the ticket counter trying to buy tickets to try to meet up with their cruise ship that left without them. Unfortunately for them, they said they left their passports and credit cards on the ship. Not sure how it worked out for them, but it seems that ships can leave without all passengers aboard.

That got us a bit nervous because we arrived in Venice to start our first cruise (!)
algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

I have seen lots of people running to the ships. I have seen a few jump since the gangway had been pulled up.

I know someone who was left in St. Thomas.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

If you do a search, there are a *ton* of videos of people running down the dock, too late to get to the ship that is already sailing. Ships *do* leave without people.

Sayhello
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #7
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Yes cruise ships will leave without you. Check out you tube for clips of people running up the port waving their arms as the ship sails out.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:18 PM   #8
TiggerBouncy
Mouseketeer

We left two behind on my last cruise
TiggerBouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Im_A_Princess
PLATINUM - Woo Hoo!

Location: Maryland ~893.52 miles from my FL home in Port Canaveral

DCL excursions = NOT LEFT BEHIND!!!!

I would never risk it. Even if they are cheaper to do with other companies or on your own. I just don't cut costs in this area.
Seen/heard too many people left behind. Not going to be us!

-Chrissy 116 days onboard DCL and counting...)
Im_A_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #10
DL1957
DIS Veteran

In the port near Rome in 2005 our DCL tour was 35 minutes past all aboard time. The ship was there and when the gang plank went up a taxi arrived with 4 passengers running out. We sailed off.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Copenhagen to Dover June, 2015!
Disneyland - over 100 visits
WDW - Over 10
DVC since 2001
DL1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #11
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_A_Princess View Post

I would never risk it. Even if they are cheaper to do with other companies or on your own. I just don't cut costs in this area.
Actually I think I have read reports of there being occasions when a DCL-booked excursion was left, but in those cases DCL picked up the tab for getting them back to the boat. If you book on your own or are just late, you're picking up the tab to get yourself back onto the boat.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im_A_Princess View Post

Actually, that's inaccurate.

DCL WILL leave people behind. The ship MUST leave at a certain time. DCL however will be responsible for lodging and transfer to the next port. Of course, they'll do whatever they can to hold the ship back and only sail once they have to in order to make the next port.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #13
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post

Actually, that's inaccurate.

DCL WILL leave people behind. The ship MUST leave at a certain time. DCL however will be responsible for lodging and transfer to the next port. Of course, they'll do whatever they can to hold the ship back and only sail once they have to in order to make the next port.
Yup. I've had a few CMs tell me this as well; that they would send a boat to get us. We got on the ship in San Juan at 4:15 & it was scheduled to leave at 4:30pm. We did San Juan on our own. That's exactly what we were told "secretly" LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:25 PM   #14
Jey12
DIS Veteran

Not sure where you'd find an urban legend about it. It's true people have and are left behind. The ships have to leave by a certain time and if you are not back you are not back. If you were out on a DCL excursion DCL is responsible for getting you back on the ship as soon as possible. Same holds true for any cruise line. If you were out on your own you are responsible for catching back up to the ship or getting home. If you want to go an excursion on your own I'd just make sure you leave plenty of time for any unforeseen incidents so you can be back on the ship before it leaves. Often there is enough time to do that if you book an early excursion on your own.
Jey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #15
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Private vendors will do their best to get you back to the ship on time -- their business reputation depends on it. The people who get left behind are often/usually those who are off shopping or visiting a bar by themselves.

When we did a DCL shore excursion in Cabo, DCL intentionally scheduled our return to the ship after the all aboard because of the ship's tenders (ferry boats from ship to shore.) They wanted to give all the "normal" passengers a chance to get back on board, so there would be plenty of room on the tenders for the returning DCL shore excursion people.

another "perk" of the DCL shore excursions -- again if you're tendering, "normal" passengers have to wait in the WD theatre (or other designated area) for their turn getting off the ship via tender. If you have a DCL-sponsored morning shore excursion, your group will be given priority of the tenders.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: