DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
twinsouvenirs
Mother of Dragons :)

Advice needed--buying in w/three separate contracts

We are considering membership; we just had twin girls (9 mo now) and may have more. We want to buy in if it makes sense, and we want to do so in a way that we could basically count on one week in the resort of our choice during the week of our choice. We are also vacation-commitment phobic so even though we might never use the exchange points we just might.

So my latest brainstorm is to buy a total of 250-300 points but buy in three portions; the first and most expensive 91 direct pts at VGF, 80 resale pts at SS because of the value, and 80 or so resale at BWK since Epcot World Showcase is our fave.

That way we have generally enough for a week in a 1 BR, and more if we get creative, and can use bank/borrow at one of 2 of our favorite resorts to get the 11 mo booking window for peak seasons if desired.

What do you guys think? Advice? Why is this a terrible idea?
twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsouvenirs View Post
We are considering membership; we just had twin girls (9 mo now) and may have more. We want to buy in if it makes sense, and we want to do so in a way that we could basically count on one week in the resort of our choice during the week of our choice. We are also vacation-commitment phobic so even though we might never use the exchange points we just might.

So my latest brainstorm is to buy a total of 250-300 points but buy in three portions; the first and most expensive 91 direct pts at VGF, 80 resale pts at SS because of the value, and 80 or so resale at BWK since Epcot World Showcase is our fave.

That way we have generally enough for a week in a 1 BR, and more if we get creative, and can use bank/borrow at one of 2 of our favorite resorts to get the 11 mo booking window for peak seasons if desired.

What do you guys think? Advice? Why is this a terrible idea?
You are never going to have enough points for an a week's stay except every three years (by banking and borrowing) for each resort (and that depends on what resort your are talking about). And except for every three years, you are never going to be able to use the 11 month window to make your reservation unless you do split stays each year at those specific resorts.

If you are breaking up your contracts, are you doing so that your children and future children can inherit them? Who is going to get the less desirable resort(s)?

I think you are creating a lot of work for yourself and it is a lot to manage by having three different contracts with low point values. And if you are new to DVC and don't know if you will really use your contracts, I think you are spending a lot of money needlessly.

I think you are better off purchasing at one resort and if you must, go ahead and by three contracts of lesser points, just make sure they are all in the same use year/ resort. Once you are comfortable with using those points, then go ahead and purchase more somewhere else. Just my opinion of course........
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-22-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Point requirements can and have changed so make sure that you buy enough at each resort.

Buy after staying there or at least after knowing enough about the resort and DVC so you know for sure that you will be happy there.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #4
twinsouvenirs

We would not will them to the kids, we'd resell most likely if we did not outlive them. We're not sure if we'll get more than 20/30 yrs use out of the full amount.

The way we were figuring it is that we could book this way at the 11 mo window once every 3 years for GFV, and once every 3 years for BWK. The SS points could be used for the vacations in between at wherever we'd like to book that's open at 7 mo.

It also serves as a hedge against them making changes to the resale points unfavorably (we'd have a pool of direct points)
twinsouvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
Kidanifan08
DIS Veteran

91 points is an interesting number for VGF. I have not looked closely at the points chart, but does that number correlate to some specific number of points during a certain season? If so, I would caution you that point re-allocations can (and will) mess things up for you if you buy exactly the number of points you need based on today's point chart. When we bought in 2008, we got enough points for a 1BR for 7 nights during Magic season. Within two years, the points requirement for that same week went up by 4 points. This has not been a problem for us, as we have added on additional points, but you may want to consider building in a 5-10% buffer in case there is a re-allocation.
POP 2004, POR Oct '08, SSR Jan '09 (first DVC trip!), AKV-K June '09, ASM Oct '09, CBR Jan '10, AKV-K Dec '10, CSR Feb '11, OKW Aug '11, Kidani/BLT Oct '11, BWV/GF Mar '12, Jambo-CL/BLT May/June '12, Kidani Dec '12, BWV Apr '13, BLT/Kidani July '13, Jambo-CL Apr '14, BCV/Kidani July '14, BWV/GF Oct '14, Jambo Dec '14, Jambo-CL July '15

Kidanifan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM   #6
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

I though new direct purchase minimum for VGF was 100 points. If the other points are resale you cannot combine them with your direct sale points to use for cruises, etc...

It would be wise to make sure they are all the same use year.

Contracts under 100 are fewer to get and BWV have been snapped up as soon as they are listed...

Read and ask questions before you make such a large commitment/purchase
Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
twinsouvenirs

I think our guide got permission to sell the 91--but i am wondering if we should just take the plunge and 100.

I promise, I am doing so much research that I will need to go into some kind of rehab after this
Old 06-24-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
twinsouvenirs

the 91 is half of the cost of a studio in peak times, to allow bank/borrow
Old 06-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
DreamChasers
Mouseketeer

In order to stream line your booking you would want to make sure your use years match up, so they can merge your contracts. When you buy a resale you get whatever use year the contract originally had. When you buy direct they can match your new use year to your existing contracts. For this reason I would suggest you buy at least the BWV resale first. It is a smaller resort and harder to find a resale contract that matches a specific use year. SS have a lot of resale contracts at any time and it may not be as difficult to find a specific use year.

DreamChasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:11 PM   #10
lovin'fl
DIS Veteran

I think you have a good plan (and yes, you should just do the 100 at VGF). I own 200 OKW, 125 HH and 100 AKV and wish the 200 OKW was just 100 and then another 100 at BWV or BCV. I'd say doing the 100-80-80 is a good start, but you'll likely add on in the future. When we got started our 3 kids were young (we have twin girls and a DS that's just 2 years older than the twins) and we could do a 1BR for a few years...now we need a 2BR (3 teens in a 1BR ). I also suggest trying to get the same UY as it is just easier to manage (1 member number and everything will all show up on member website in 1 window...no booking linked 2 piece stays). If you were going to buy 100+ points at each resort than it wouldn't matter as much, but it is just more streamlined to have 1 member number if you may end up using points from 2 or 3 resorts for 1 trip. Good luck in your hunt for points. I am envious of your VGF purchase. Oh, and congrats on the twins...it's going to be a wild ride.
lovin'fl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 04:06 AM   #11
twinsouvenirs

Thank you so much for the advice/affirmation! Ours are girls It's suddenly getting crazier as they become more mobile! I JUST pointed out to DH that if we have any more we'll probably be wanting a 2br--we were tempted for a fleeting moment by a 500pt resale
Old 06-29-2013, 05:22 AM   #12
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We have three kids and do the 2 bedrooms and will have three home resorts this year. We will probably add on 100 at VGF as well and are heading towards 500 points so to me your plan sounds like what you might well need for the future. We originally wanted to go nice every three years but are rapidly pushing towards every other year

Last edited by Minniesgal; 06-29-2013 at 08:36 AM.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:21 AM   #13
twinsouvenirs

I am thinking we'll want to go every year (even if it isn't always to WDW proper--we do lots of HHI trips as it is now. ok--We can start w/270-350 for the yearly 1 br but we just may have to add on when we want a 2!
Old 06-29-2013, 09:32 AM   #14
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsouvenirs View Post
Thank you so much for the advice/affirmation! Ours are girls It's suddenly getting crazier as they become more mobile! I JUST pointed out to DH that if we have any more we'll probably be wanting a 2br--we were tempted for a fleeting moment by a 500pt resale
Yeah, that listing email blast last night made my laugh out loud. I can't imagine anyone buying a contract that big because the pool of people willing to buy a contract that size is very, VERY small. You'd have to get a ridiculous deal to make that size contract worth it and $82pp isn't a very good deal at all. Even if you want that many points at BWV eventually, I'd build it through a few small contracts so you can right-size if necessary down the line and they will hold their value a bit better than a gigantic contract.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Last edited by Missyrose; 06-29-2013 at 09:37 AM.
Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: