Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 09:10 AM   #16
Sgt Mickey
I will always remember where I was that day
I am defiantly going to attempt as many as I can
I thought I had never up there but I think I erased it and my brain went somewhere else

I turned 40 in July. The weird thing is I am okay being 40 but I don't like to tell people I am ...so is the underlying message I am not really okay with being 40 Dr Phil???

I shop and work at Banana Republic. I don't think I dress to young or I am not at chicos yet either (not sure what chicos is)
Sgt Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #17
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

44 here. The 40s haven't bothered me too much. I have noticed a few things the last year or so. I distinctly remember when I noticed my first gray hair in 2007 on the way to Disney lol.

But I don't feel my age and often have to stop and count up my age! And no my mind isn't going lol.

I have been updating my wardrobe with more classic pieces that will last a few years, as I did feel my clothes were a bit young.

I had this convo with my mom and Gran ny a few years ago and neither felt their age. My grandmother is 93, lives by herself and has just recently been frustrated by her body wanting to give out on her. She has degenerated discs in her spine and that has caused mobility issues but she refuses to use a cane or walker!

Age is only a number.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Mickey View Post
I turned 40 in July. The weird thing is I am okay being 40 but I don't like to tell people I am ...so is the underlying message I am not really okay with being 40 Dr Phil???

I shop and work at Banana Republic. I don't think I dress to young or I am not at chicos yet either (not sure what chicos is)
Chico's is a popular chain store that supposedly makes clothes for "older" women. Actually I think they make clothes for "real" women.

Every pair of jeans in the gap is skinny leg and low rise. Sorry I'm a "sista" with junk in her trunk. I was that way at 17, 27, 37 etc etc. Lowrise, which in my day were called "hip huggers" make me look like some thing squeezed into susage casings. I go in there all the time because I do like the colored jeans and walk out every time because it's all made for a 17 year old body.

Banana Republic fits me better but basically you guys make clothes in 3 colors. Black, grey and kahaki. Actually I was shocked when I was in there a few days back and saw some colorful dresses. I go to BR when I need the basic black pencil skirt for work or a white shirt.

See that's the great thing about being over 40, you don't care where your fashion comes from as long as it looks good and fits your body.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I'm 51 now.
I can remember complaining to my doctor when I turned 40.

He looked me right in the eye and said "Count your blessings. A lot of people never make it to 40".

So now instead of worrying about the rest of society thinking I am over the hill, I count my blessings that in addition to making it 40, I've now made it past 50!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~

Last edited by Disney Doll; 05-03-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: fixing typos
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
nd5056
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post

I don't feel 40, I don't look 40...
Are you sure?

Just think of yourself as of wine, the older - the better
nd5056 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:08 AM   #21
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

DH turns 40 this year and I'm on the south-side of my 30's...okay fine. I'm turning 37...whatever! I don't feel old. Except I creak in places I didn't used to. And I forget things ALL THE TIME. I am constantly asking people to repeat themselves because they're mumbling (i.e I can't hear them). But it will be a cold day in hell before I step foot in a Chico's, Coldwater Creek, Ann Taylor or even a JC Penny. Don't get me wrong...I'm not shopping in Forever 21 or anything.

Oh, and I found a gray hair last month. Not happy about that. Okay FINE...maybe it was more than 1.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #22
StephMK
DIS Veteran

I never thought I'd be one who resisted getting older but I'm about to turn 43 this month and not really enjoying it! There are aspects that I like but I have trouble embracing my age. It doesn't help that I never know where to shop. I tend to stick to more classic pieces for that reason with some trends thrown in. I don't want to look too young or too old!

The best part I have found is that my kids are old enough to stay home alone so DH & I can go out more often by ourselves.

My oldest is 19 and I get told all the time that people can't believe I have a kid that old. So mentally, I still pretend I'm in my late 30s.

I do agree with the others that say it's just a number. I have a friend who's in her late 50s but looks & acts closer to my age. I know another woman about the same age who dresses like a "grandma" and seems so much older than my friend. Both nice women but totally different styles and mindsets.

I plan to be one of the younger acting "older" women!
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 AM   #23
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

I remember turning 30. After years of infertility, I had a 2 week old baby in my sleep deprived arms.

I turned 50 this week, so tried for the life of me to remember what it was like to turn 40. I don't even remember it. (I guess that's not a good sign!)

I had a little more trouble with the 50 landmark, but I'm hoping to be over it soon. It doesn't help that 2 people on our block died in the past week, then Tuesday night my BIL died.

I think most of these transitions just have a lot to do with where you are in life and with your family. Because it took so long to get our family started, we are still at a very high need time with our kids, complete with our middle one gearing up to be the first to leave home for college soon. (I think that part will be harder than the birthday.) When my mom and dad turned 50, they were on the down side of life's responsibilities. The kids were all gone or about to go. I'm still running kids to piano, play practice, softball practice, etc.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:21 AM   #24
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

I turned 40 last month!

It really doesn't bother me at all. When I was in my 20's and the first half of my 30's, I was so hung up on looking perfect. I looked amazing, but never thought it.

Now I know I look just fine, and I don't care so much. I don't spend forever worrying about superficial things. I can finally concentrate on things that will have a real, positive impact, like my family and my career, instead of caring about dumb things like grey hairs. I do not think that 50 years from now, people are going to remember the grey hairs I had when I was 40... but there are other things about me that they WILL remember... and that's what I'm concentrating on.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #25
scoutie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Apparently women are no longer attractive, should pretty much cut off their hair, buy mom jeans and be done with it when they are 40? You read as much on this board
That's interesting, because I don't feel that sentiment is expressed at all, lol!

I'll be forty in July. I still get ID'd, I'm still a size four, I still take good care of myself, and I have more money to keep myself up now than I did when I was in my 20s (Keratin treatments for my hair, good quality highlights, a quality gym, better clothes, etc.) I'm not as insecure as I was in my early 20s, I have a stable relationship, great friends, a beautiful familyi and a rewarding careers. I've accomplished what I had hoped to accomplish by forty.

I agree with some of the others who say that age is just a number. I see many people decades younger than myself who are in worse shape, have miserable attitudes, etc.
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #26
Lisaren
Mouseketeer

I turn 45 this month. 40 was my absolute best adult birthday ever. That was the year I figured out who I was, what I wanted, and finally accepted myself and my life. (I had a very early and long mid-life crisis - it ended at 40) Since then every birthday has not gotten better, but it is just as good. As far as cut hair, mom jeans, etc. That is your own decision. I have dyed my hair purple in the last year. I loved it. I have a new job now and can not go back to the purple, so I am dying it burgundy this weekend. I have always dressed conservatively and that has not changed much with my age. I just try to find clothes that flatter my figure and go from there.

Last edited by Lisaren; 05-03-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
Lisaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:57 AM   #27
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

I'm 45, and no stunner but I feel okay about my looks and myself. I wish I could go back to my teenage years with the attitude I have now and tell some people off. I dress how I want, listen to what music I want, and since I don't have kids...love 'em but never wanted one...I can pretty much do as I please.

I have a sense of self that I just didn't have in my 20s. I would trade in the morning aches and pains and the silver hairs and the pre-menopausal stuff in a heartbeat, but I wouldn't trade my life experience for the world.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #28
U2_rocks!
The DISer formerly known as U2_rocks - member since Oct 2005
I wasn't a "bad girl", but I wasn't little miss perfect either!

I turn 45 next month and socially I don't feel it. I guess my "gang" are all young at heart. We don't dress like 20 year olds, but we do keep up with trends to some extent. I have never been one to spend a lot of money on clothes, so I tend to keep my shoes and pants classic and the most flattering for my body (which, incientally, is slightly low rise but not too much) and buy cheap up-to-date tops and accessories. It keeps me a little bit current without looking ridiculous. I also pick and choose carefully - whatever I buy must flatter me and not be excessively bright or crazy-patterned. I think of the middle years as a good time to blend classic and trendy so that you wear what looks good on you but you keep it current too.

Physically, I have a few grey hairs that I hide, my eyesight has worsened and I am a bit stiff in the morning. But my vitals are great and I am on no medications or special regimens. I do still eat like I am 20 sometimes, which I have to stop (or at least cut down). I have gained too much weight in recent years, thanks to a slowing metabolism and not changing habits to suit. This is one of the hardest things about turning 40 IMO.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:24 AM   #29
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

I hope the responses keep on coming because DW and I will be 40 next month. I know we both feel like kids but the reflection in the mirror gives subtle hints to the contrary. We're keeping young by partaking in 5Ks, half and full marathons and I'm even now into triathlons.

Just remember, it's not the exterior looking back at you in the mirror but what's below the surface that matters.

OH, BTW, it's not 40yo rather 40 years of marriage and we are really enjoy being 62 with 63 approaching very quickly. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Birthday and keep on grabbing for the rings as you go around the carousel of life.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #30
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by John VN View Post
I hope the responses keep on coming because DW and I will be 40 next month. I know we both feel like kids but the reflection in the mirror gives subtle hints to the contrary. We're keeping young by partaking in 5Ks, half and full marathons and I'm even now into triathlons.

Just remember, it's not the exterior looking back at you in the mirror but what's below the surface that matters.

OH, BTW, it's not 40yo rather 40 years of marriage and we are really enjoy being 62 with 63 approaching very quickly. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Happy Birthday and keep on grabbing for the rings as you go around the carousel of life.
Awwww!

Happy anniversary!
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: