Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Breaking a cell phone contract?

We want to get out of our contract with Verizon. We have the Family plan with 5 lines. DS needed a phone and we were forced to go to WalMart's SmartTalk prepaid for him. It is working out great and he pays the same for unlimited talk, text and internet for his smart phone as my DD's do for their lines on our Verizon account. So....all of our "contracts" with Verizon will be done by 12/1/13 except for one DD's whose won't be done until 9/14. I do not want to pay the $100 per month just to have the Verizon contract for her if we all go to Smart Talk by then. What would I have to pay to get out of this contract if it is just one line left on it?.....Also, DD #2 contract was up in January. She is still using the phone she got through Verizon 2 yrs ago. I told her when that phone breaks she has to buy one outright and go to prepaid....this is ok right, and won't effect our getting out of the Verizon contract???
eeyoresmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresmom View Post
We want to get out of our contract with Verizon. We have the Family plan with 5 lines. DS needed a phone and we were forced to go to WalMart's SmartTalk prepaid for him. It is working out great and he pays the same for unlimited talk, text and internet for his smart phone as my DD's do for their lines on our Verizon account. So....all of our "contracts" with Verizon will be done by 12/1/13 except for one DD's whose won't be done until 9/14. I do not want to pay the $100 per month just to have the Verizon contract for her if we all go to Smart Talk by then. What would I have to pay to get out of this contract if it is just one line left on it?.....Also, DD #2 contract was up in January. She is still using the phone she got through Verizon 2 yrs ago. I told her when that phone breaks she has to buy one outright and go to prepaid....this is ok right, and won't effect our getting out of the Verizon contract???
All without a contract can leave without any fees. Your other daughter would have to pay an early termination fee to cancel prior to 9/14. It's usually about $350 or more. Do you each pay $100 for service on a family plan? We have Sprint and pay $180 for 3 smart phones, all unlimited except landlines which we share 1500 mins.
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresmom View Post
Do you have your contract? It will say on the contract what the penalty is for breaking it.

Before you run out and get phones find out how much it is going to cost you. It can range anywhere from 200-350 & up per line to cancel.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Swank
Lurker for Life

I think for non-smartphones the fee is less. Call verizon and you can ask them how much it will cost for each phone.
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:46 AM   #5
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Thank you. We pay around $100 per month to have the contract. DH and I have regular, "dumb" phones, so our lines are $9.99 plus taxes and fees. The girls have smart phones and pay around $45 per month. My cell phone bill has been running around $242 per month. I guess I will have to call Verizon, but I wanted to get some advice first. For $225 per month ( including the 3 girls lines), DH and I can get our own smart phones with unlimited everything.
Old 05-03-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swank View Post
I think for non-smartphones the fee is less. Call verizon and you can ask them how much it will cost for each phone.
Ok, now this may be confusing, but.....the last line that expires in 9/14 is DH's number ( regular phone), but DD used the upgrade that was available on HIS number ( Verizon allows you to use others upgrades) to buy her smartphone (iphone). Does anyone know if that contract is considered DD's or DH's?
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyoresmom

Ok, now this may be confusing, but.....the last line that expires in 9/14 is DH's number ( regular phone), but DD used the upgrade that was available on HIS number ( Verizon allows you to use others upgrades) to buy her smartphone (iphone). Does anyone know if that contract is considered DD's or DH's?
It would be his line with the contract.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Old 05-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #8
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Thank you, can't wait to get out of this!
Old 05-03-2013, 11:26 AM   #9
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?

you may need to repurchase your phones if you go from Verizon --> straight talk. Currently, all they have are T-mobile compatible sim cards so make sure you check your frequencies available in your area or you might be stuck on 2G instead of 3G(mainly iPhones or phones with 1900mhz 3G only).

You can also probably look into PagePlus. Its nearly the same as Straight Talk(MVNO provider) but it uses Verizon's network so all your current phones on Verizon can be used.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the tip.
Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
I Love Pluto
DIS Veteran
I guess that makes me a kiddie song expert.

We enjoy our Verizon phones & all of the services we enjoy with them.
Their contract was more than HALF of what AT&T charged for the same services.

Not to belittle the OP - but Verizon is a decent company with a great reputation & some good phones with awesome service!

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion!
Old 05-03-2013, 03:35 PM   #12
gunka
DIS Veteran

If your the negotiating type, early termination fee's can be negotiated. Just negotiate the lines under contract first. Don't tell them you will be getting rid of all lines...
Old 05-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
eeyoresmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Pluto View Post
We enjoy our Verizon phones & all of the services we enjoy with them.
Their contract was more than HALF of what AT&T charged for the same services.

Not to belittle the OP - but Verizon is a decent company with a great reputation & some good phones with awesome service!

Thank you for allowing me to voice my opinion!
I didn't say anything negative about the company, just that I can't wait to stop paying $100 per month just for the "contract".

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: