Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #1
mbw12
DVC member
Has the hots for Dean Cain

Human Resources/hiring question

Question: I started a new job 3 weeks ago...and I already can tell it is definitely not for me. I am continuing to send out resumes...at what point should I include this job on the resume? if a person in charge of hiring only sees 1 month at the job currently, are they less likely to call for an interview?

All comments or advice is welcome!!! thanks!
mbw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
rgf207
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw12 View Post
Question: I started a new job 3 weeks ago...and I already can tell it is definitely not for me. I am continuing to send out resumes...at what point should I include this job on the resume? if a person in charge of hiring only sees 1 month at the job currently, are they less likely to call for an interview?

All comments or advice is welcome!!! thanks!
If it's your most recent job you should include it. If not, there will be a gap in your employment and they might ask you in the interview. You don't want to lie on your resume

2002 - Off Site;2004 - Off Site;March 2005 - AKL;Sept 2005 - PoP, POR, ASMo;May 2006 - POR;June 2007 - BCV;June 2008 - SSR; March 2009 - SSR; August 2009 - SSR, AKV; Feb 2010 - VWL; Jun 2010 - BCV; Feb 2011 - AKV; June 2012 - BLT
rgf207 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
soccerdad72
DIS Veteran

While there's no hard and fast rule on this, I think in general, it's wise to leave off jobs that you're only in for a month or two.

The exceptions would be temporary or contract work, especially if it's something that you can show that you accomplished good things during that short period of time.
soccerdad72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:37 PM   #4
anniemae
Either she is eating a delicious meal, or she keeled over in starvation

That's a hard one, if you leave it off then you are lying and what will you say if a potential interviewer asks what you are doing now? I think it will put you in a strange place, you would have to either lie and say you are not currently working, or say you are working and try to be vague, but if they push for details you may come off looking bad and like you are hiding something.

If you put it on, you would just have to say it is not a good fit. I think I would go this route.
anniemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
ceemys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anniemae View Post
If you put it on, you would just have to say it is not a good fit. I think I would go this route.
This was my first thought.

ceemys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
StephMK
DIS Veteran

What does the rest of your history look like? Did you leave a job for this one? First job, returning to the workforce, out of work for a period of time?

If there is another reason that the employment gap can be explained, I would leave it off. Is there any chance it will get better or lead to something you like better?
Old 04-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
RitaE
DIS Veteran

At this point in time I'd leave it off of the resume. Nobody is going to blink over an unemployed gap of a couple of months.

If it comes up in the job interview then you can explain in person why the job isn't a good fit for you.

If it takes 6 months or so of interviewing, then you can start to consider adding it on.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #8
FLCyndi
Mouseketeer

Leave it off.
FLCyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:44 PM   #9
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

HR person here. Put it on. Explain that it isn't a good fit.

If I find an employee has left a job off the application, we would term based on that. Our feeling is that you have lied on the application so what else would you lie on.

I do question applicants as to what they were doing between jobs. I find some interesting answers that way.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arielle22 View Post
HR person here. Put it on. Explain that it isn't a good fit.

If I find an employee has left a job off the application, we would term based on that. Our feeling is that you have lied on the application so what else would you lie on.

I do question applicants as to what they were doing between jobs. I find some interesting answers that way.
Really? I leave off irrelevant jobs, especially on a resume, which I would tailor for the job I'm applying for. For example, if I'm applying to work in a medical location, I would highlight my clinical experience. For a school job, I'd highlight my educational experience. I always leave off irrelevant jobs in order to keep my resume at 2 pages.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:38 PM   #11
mbw12
DVC member
Has the hots for Dean Cain

OP here....and to answer a few of the questions: yes, I did leave a job or this one. My past work experience consists of being at one company for twelve years, another company for 4 years, a return to the first company for a period of 10 months, then a layoff, then a part-time job for a year to hold me over until I landed this job which just isnt going to work out for me (but I cant leave unless I have something else financially.)

Some people are telling me to include it, others are saying to leave it off unless I am there for 6 months or so. I would never lie about dates or anything like that.Right now the resumes I am sending out dont include...but it makes me look like I dont have a job because of the dates that I left the other (3 weeks ago)....it is such a mess...LOL
mbw12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
SMD
DIS Veteran

A resume isn't an application. If you are asked to fill out an application, include it, but otherwise, I'd leave it off. Unless something in the job listing makes you think it needs to be there. Also, if the listing asks for a cover letter with a specific question where you can fit it in, I might mention it there as well.
SMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:41 PM   #13
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

I'm not an HR person but I think honesty is the way to go.

If you get a call for a job interview and they ask, you can just explain that you knew right away that your current job wasn't a good fit for you. It's not like th erest of your job history is terrible in terms of only staying at jobs for a short period of time.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #14
gunner2010
Mouseketeer

As a hotel GM that does a ton of interviews, if I saw your current job was only 3 weeks old and looking for another you would be an instant TBNT (thanks but no thanks)

Leave it off... 3 week gap is nothing really.
gunner2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
auntmeme7577
Mouseketeer

As a District Manager I would suggest you leave it off the resume, but include in on the application. We run background checks on every new hire and you don't want to look like you are hiding something. Don't stress over it. It happens to a lot of people.
Good Luck

Me DH : 6 Furbabies Hunter Daisy Dusty WoodyMonkeyboyPrincess Pretty
auntmeme7577 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: