Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
meliss8599
DIS Veteran

Ideas for a special gift?

One of my former students is having to move to India due to economic reasons. Because she is very close in age and in personality to my daughter I've always had a soft spot for her and took her under my wing. Her mother was greatly appreciative she had someone at school that she could confide in about things going on at home and I was happy to be there for her. She is such a sweet and mature girl and she is a student I will never forget. I am SO incredibly sad she's leaving.

I'd really like to get her a "going away" present or gift bag or something before she leaves. Any ideas? She's in 6th grade and very mature for her age. I was thinking of things she could read on the plane (preteen magazines or a young adult novel) and maybe one of those neck pillows. But that seems so impersonal. I know the DIS will come through with some thoughtful and creative ideas for me.
meliss8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
*JoGo*
DIS Veteran

I would get some nice stationary and pens for her. Let her know you hope she will write you. That may help her transition, and still have you to "talk" to.

What does she like to do? In addition to the stationary, I would get her something she enjoys doing.

Or stick with a stationary theme- stationary, colored pens, diary, puzzle books, and a fun activity book (they have some cute doodle books at Barnes & Noble and probably Amazon), a book to read, a stained glass or more mature coloring book with crayons or pencils, pencil sharpener, and a cute bag for it all. Mad libs. Coke or Pepsi book. Those journals that ask you questions.

I love gift giving.

to you and the girl
*JoGo* is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #3
meliss8599
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *JoGo* View Post
I would get some nice stationary and pens for her. Let her know you hope she will write you. That may help her transition, and still have you to "talk" to.

What does she like to do? In addition to the stationary, I would get her something she enjoys doing.

Or stick with a stationary theme- stationary, colored pens, diary, puzzle books, and a fun activity book (they have some cute doodle books at Barnes & Noble and probably Amazon), a book to read, a stained glass or more mature coloring book with crayons or pencils, pencil sharpener, and a cute bag for it all. Mad libs. Coke or Pepsi book. Those journals that ask you questions.
I love gift giving.

to you and the girl
Thank you! The kids are into the fancy shmancy mechanical pencils that cost like $7 for 2 so those are actually a good idea! And Hallmark carries nice stationary that I could get with her initial on it. The Q & A books will be a nice way for her to bond with new friends. She only gets a few weeks off before school starts in June in India!
meliss8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:07 AM   #4
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Check with her family about if they will have space for things like that. When we moved to Germany we packed every suitcase and every carry on to the gills just trying to get the most important things over here with us. A goodie bag would have been a nice thought, but we would have had to have chosen between that and something sentimental (like family photos, books from childhood, etc).

Also--no sodas in the bag--liquids cannot go through airport security.

I'll be honest, stationary sounds like a sweet idea, but sending letters snail mail, especially internationally, is something that rarely happens. Some of the "third culture kids" here that i know end up feeling guilty that they have nice stationary someone gave them but never feel up to writing letters on it--email, skype, etc are just so much better ways for them to stay in touch.

I was thinking maybe a classic style charm bracelet with 5-6 charms on it that represent where you live or things you have done with her, etc. She can wear it on the plane, so it will not take up space, and it is very personal to remind her of your family.

I'll ask my daughter for more ideas once she is up. DD was in 6th grade when we moved here.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/

Last edited by NHdisneylover; 05-03-2013 at 07:54 AM.
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #5
Mickey Fliers
(Not so)Tagless
"Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose. And sometimes, it rains"
Don't hate me for the love of the boy band

Location: Until the Navy says otherwise: Yokosuka, Kanagawa, Japan

I'm with NHdisneylover. Space is so limited when you move overseas and my kids NEVER send any snail mail. They Facetime or use FB. I LOVE the Charm Bracelet idea.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 AM   #6
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

I love the charm bracelet idea, too!

me, DH, DS(14), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #7
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

Here's another vote for the charm bracelet!
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

Agree on stationery regrettably probably being a flop. In addition to kids not writing so much- it makes little sense to pay international postage when email/etc is free.

I like the jewelry idea. I've never seen a kid around here wear a charm bracelet, but how about a necklace indicative of your area? (LIke if you live on the water, a boat pendant, or if you're in the desert, a cactus, etc?) Something to remind her there's folks in that place always thinking of her?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: