Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #1
Tifley
Earning My Ears

First Time Safety Question...Paranoid Mom

OK...I want to start off by saying I have never been on a cruise, and never thought I would.., they scare me a little. But I finally gave in and we're doing our first cruise...and its a Disney Cruise!! What scares me is my kids falling overboard. I know this sounds ridiculous, but its been a phobia of mine for a long time...Niagara Falls, mountains in Tennessee, airboat rides in Florida, hotel balconies, etc. I am not a parent that would let my kids wander anywhere alone, my husband or I will be there all the time...but I guess I'm just hoping that someone will tell me that the Disney boats all have plexiglass railings on the decks so they can't slip through and I'm just being overly paranoid?!?! Anyone??

** Jan 2011 - POR (DH, DD16, DS13, DD10, DD3 & me!) **
** Jan 2012 - POR (DH, DS14, DD11, DD4 & me!) **
** Sept 2013 - POR (DH, DD19, DS16, DD13, DD6, DM, DF, & me!) **
** Sept 2014 - ASMu (DM, DF, DS, DN4, DD20, DSIL31, DD7 & me!) **
Tifley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:25 PM   #2
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

My son has been running all over the ships without me sense he was 10 and I have never worried. I have never thought about anyone falling over. We have stood at the rail and I have wondered about jumping but never falling. Here is a picture of what the rail looks like on the Disney Ship. You can do a search and find lots of other views.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

yep, Plexiglas on deck 9..most verandah's have Plexiglas too, although not all the way up. so kids (little) cant fall..
when my kids were little we had a cat 10 ( inside) just because of that issue.)

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

I also expected you to have much younger kids. We first cruised when the kids were 3 & 5. I was completely at ease on the ship because there is plexiglass on the inside of the railings, as well as from floor to ceiling on the pool deck.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
Tifley
Earning My Ears

Thank you...that makes me feel better. My youngest is 6 and I envisioned her down on her knees sticking her head through the railing to look out. I really like the curved in railing! That and the plexiglass are exactly what I wanted to see and hear! We have an oceanview cabin...being my first cruise I didn't think having and inside stateroom without windows would be very good...but there was no way I was going to do a balcony! I feel so much better!

** Jan 2011 - POR (DH, DD16, DS13, DD10, DD3 & me!) **
** Jan 2012 - POR (DH, DS14, DD11, DD4 & me!) **
** Sept 2013 - POR (DH, DD19, DS16, DD13, DD6, DM, DF, & me!) **
** Sept 2014 - ASMu (DM, DF, DS, DN4, DD20, DSIL31, DD7 & me!) **
Tifley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifley View Post
Thank you...that makes me feel better. My youngest is 6 and I envisioned her down on her knees sticking her head through the railing to look out. I really like the curved in railing! That and the plexiglass are exactly what I wanted to see and hear! We have an oceanview cabin...being my first cruise I didn't think having and inside stateroom without windows would be very good...but there was no way I was going to do a balcony! I feel so much better!
This is a picture of the railings on the Wonder. You can see the plexiglass covering the railings and gates.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #7
Carrie in AZ
DIS Veteran

We are hoping to cruise for the first time ever this Fall. My DH is SUPER SCARED about our DD going overboard and she is 9!! Honestly, though, I am a little afraid also, can't help it. When she was younger, we caught her twice leaning wayyyyy over the railing on the balcony of our resorts, and I still think about it with a pit in my stomach.

Anyway, when I told DH that we'd be booking a verandah room on our hopefully upcoming cruise, he physically recoiled and said NO WAY are we doing that! LOL! I asked him when the last time was he heard about someone falling overboard and he admitted he never had.

It's just a really scary thought. Obviously, some of us think about this more intently than others, and that's ok! Right there with ya, Sister!
July 2013 Aulani
June 2012 - GCH July 2012 - Aulani
June 2011 - CR/BCV
Thanksgiving 2010 - Disneyland
Nov 2009 - CR/Poly Oct 2009 - GCH Nov 2008 - BC
June 2008 - GCH Oct 2007 - DLH
Nov 2006 - POR June 2004 - DLH
Apr 2002 - POR Nov 1999 - Dixie Landings
Carrie in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrie in AZ View Post
We are hoping to cruise for the first time ever this Fall. My DH is SUPER SCARED about our DD going overboard and she is 9!! Honestly, though, I am a little afraid also, can't help it. When she was younger, we caught her twice leaning wayyyyy over the railing on the balcony of our resorts, and I still think about it with a pit in my stomach.

Anyway, when I told DH that we'd be booking a verandah room on our hopefully upcoming cruise, he physically recoiled and said NO WAY are we doing that! LOL! I asked him when the last time was he heard about someone falling overboard and he admitted he never had.

It's just a really scary thought. Obviously, some of us think about this more intently than others, and that's ok! Right there with ya, Sister!
I will also point out that the railings are quite high. They come about chest high to me (I'm 5'4"). That's not to say that someone couldn't go overboard, but they'd have to work at it. They won't just fall overboard.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
PWammy
Mouseketeer

I was worried about my daughter opening the verandah door while I was in the shower or something, but I could barely open it. I'm convinced that the few incidents you hear about is parents holding toddlers on top of the railing and they fall.
PWammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:14 PM   #10
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Our dtr-in-law was worried about her toddlers falling overboard, til she saw the railings, then laughed at how over-blown her worries had been.

the verandah doors have locks at the top; it would really take effort and ingenuity for a young kid to figure out how to climb that high and undo it, plus the strength to pull open the door.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
aenan
Earning My Ears

I have the same fears for my three kids although my coworkers who have cruised say I am crazy! Thousands of families take these trips so they must be safe!
aenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

To the top of our cabin balcony railing was 43.25 inches high fwiw.

The outer railings to the sea are safer than the interior railings, because not all of those are covered with plexi.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

I too was worried about this. My 20 year old son who was also very worried about my 8 and 10 year old onboard a cruise ship questioned my decision to go on a cruise with kids. So I booked an inside cabin just to give me piece of mind mainly because as a single parent traveling alone with them (20 year old son isn't going) I wanted the extra security.

But then I got a really great deal on 7a Verandah for the cruise after (making it a B2B cruise). I feel better after reading all about the safety measures that DCL has in place including the lock on the verandah door that is placed very high.

I think I'll just sit down and discuss on board safety with them. They will be cautious and I'll feel better about it. They aren't the kind of kids that will do something sneaky but they are kids and accidents can happen.

One could argue that something could happen at the parks, on a port call or even on a plane. So the worry with kids is always there. We as adults just need to prepare - prepare and PREPARE

P.S. I think any kid who tries to squeeze through the railings will be caught long before they can get their head through. I know as an adult if I saw a kid doing something dangerous I would step in first and apologize after.

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014

Last edited by baleeve; 05-03-2013 at 09:00 AM.
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:55 AM   #14
shmoogrrrl
Tigger Goddess
Has discovered the mysterious and elusive tag fairie
Has a fondness for 7624

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tifley View Post
OK...I want to start off by saying I have never been on a cruise, and never thought I would.., they scare me a little. But I finally gave in and we're doing our first cruise...and its a Disney Cruise!! What scares me is my kids falling overboard. I know this sounds ridiculous, but its been a phobia of mine for a long time...Niagara Falls, mountains in Tennessee, airboat rides in Florida, hotel balconies, etc. I am not a parent that would let my kids wander anywhere alone, my husband or I will be there all the time...but I guess I'm just hoping that someone will tell me that the Disney boats all have plexiglass railings on the decks so they can't slip through and I'm just being overly paranoid?!?! Anyone??
Are you being overly paranoid? Yes. Are you alone in your paranoia? No.

We have been on five cruises and I worried about accidentally falling off myself on the first three, before we had kids. However, the two times we went after my daughter was born, I had outright NIGHTMARES. Like waking up in terror type nightmares.

I did much better once we got ON the ship though. The rails are high and the balconies have plexiglass on them. You'd really have to work at falling in.

Just keep an eye on your kids and it will be fine. If you have a balcony, keep the door locked when they are in the room. You'll forget all about the rails after a few hours on the ship!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: