Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Help me pick a new phone for DD13...

She's 13 and of course she wants an IPhone but....

she loses things
and where we live she'd have to pay a minimum of $45 per month for an IPhone plan, but she really only needs unlimited text and emergency phone calls ie. less than 50 minutes per month. She needs access to wifi hotspots and she'd really like a front facing camera. And she'd like a small phone -- the samsung sIII size just doesn't work for her.

We're ok with buying refurbished, or unlocked -- it just has to be the right phone. She was really interested in the Samsung Fame which was launched in February, but so far nobody is carrying it in Canada. It's available on Amazon, unlocked, though so we might go with that.

But are there other phones out there that would be just as good or better?

TIA

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
redrosesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrosesix View Post
She's 13 and of course she wants an IPhone but....

she loses things
and where we live she'd have to pay a minimum of $45 per month for an IPhone plan, but she really only needs unlimited text and emergency phone calls ie. less than 50 minutes per month. She needs access to wifi hotspots and she'd really like a front facing camera. And she'd like a small phone -- the samsung sIII size just doesn't work for her.

We're ok with buying refurbished, or unlocked -- it just has to be the right phone. She was really interested in the Samsung Fame which was launched in February, but so far nobody is carrying it in Canada. It's available on Amazon, unlocked, though so we might go with that.

But are there other phones out there that would be just as good or better?

TIA
You don't need a special iphone plan anymore. I have 2 iphones and a Blackberry on our family plan. We're with Rogers.
abdmom is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Get her an iPhone. If not you will hear about her wanting one every single day until you get her one. I finally gave in after 2 years. It's peaceful now.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
DVCLiz
That's me - proud defender of the Mega roll
click here to use the trolldar
We saw "I pooted" and thought it was a "New York" thing!

Get her an iPhone and make her agree to the Find Your Friends app. Then when she loses the phone you can locate it anyway.
DVCLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:15 AM   #5
dansamy
DIS Veteran

Get her an unlocked iPhone & put it on a prepaid phone plan.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 AM   #6
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

My DD14 just got the Iphone 5 for her bDay.

ONE DAY into it, and it went off in class .. It has been 2 weeks that it has been confiscated.. I think I am suffering more than her..

She also loses things, but we got the insurance at 10$ per month for both our kids, and thankfully we did so. My son lost his twice. Maybe that is an option?
Old 05-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommasita View Post
My DD14 just got the Iphone 5 for her bDay.

ONE DAY into it, and it went off in class .. It has been 2 weeks that it has been confiscated.. I think I am suffering more than her..

She also loses things, but we got the insurance at 10$ per month for both our kids, and thankfully we did so. My son lost his twice. Maybe that is an option?
Poor girl!

We did the ins. plan for our kids too. I would be to nervous without it.
Old 05-02-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
mommasita
I am like HELLO IT IS TEN OCLOCK...Anderson is on

Has a sweetie who is Furbilicious

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
Poor girl!

We did the ins. plan for our kids too. I would be to nervous without it.
I know.. She was used to the BlackBerry, so the buttons to shut off were new..
Rules are rules, but honestly I worry more. She takes the bus and metro (Subway) and usually sent me a text when she got there, and another after school. With all the bomb threats here, it often goes down.. I had to collect her twice last month.

One more week, one more week.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:37 AM   #9
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdmom View Post
You don't need a special iphone plan anymore. I have 2 iphones and a Blackberry on our family plan. We're with Rogers.
Sounds like we're with the wrong carrier. Virgin is still requiring the special plan for the IPhone and also for the Blackberry. I seriously don't want to pay for data since she doesn't have time to use it while in school and we have free wifi where we stay all summer.

Gonna have to figure out whether we'd save more by moving her, since her calls to her dad (who's on Virgin) would no longer be free.

Feb. 2008 All Star Music Feb. 2009 All Star Music Feb. 2010 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2011 Cypress Pointe Resort and All Star Music Feb. 2012 Pop Pop Pop and All Star Music Feb. 2013 AoA, ASMusic and off-site with our team Feb. 2014 ASMusic and Cypress Pointe Resort Feb. 2015 Cypress Pointe Resort, US Cabana Bay and All Stars for Twirlmania
Old 05-02-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwmom0f3 View Post
Get her an iPhone. If not you will hear about her wanting one every single day until you get her one. I finally gave in after 2 years. It's peaceful now.
Yep. And now all I hear is "I told you so" because I love the iPhone.

Not sure how the insurance works, but if I bought the insurance through Verizon it was more costly and covered lost/stolen. The Apple insurance is less expensive but does not, but I believe it covers repairs to your phone where Verizon will give you someone else's refurbished phone.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
Get her an unlocked iPhone & put it on a prepaid phone plan.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
redrosesix
DIS Veteran

I took her to the mall to look at IPhones and she decided to buy.... the Samsung Galaxy Ace 2x, because it was the smallest phone on Virgin that had a front facing camera. Because after passing all the shops with all the cool clothes in them, she decided she didn't want to spend ALL of her money on a phone.

So we went home with a phone and a couple of shopping bags since the phone was covered by the SuperTab and I didn't have to pay anything.

My DD is a smart girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: