Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
amg35
DIS Veteran

Question Can someone explain what the heck Jcpenney is apologizing for?

I just saw the weirdest commercial!!

Basically Penney's is apologizing for something and asking people to come back.

Being honest, I never shop there and rarely pay attention to their commercials...I guess I should have!

What did I miss?? What did they do??
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

They fired their CEO and brought back the previous one. They are desperate to get shoppers back.

ETA: they got rid of sales and changed to a more boutique product offering and it bombed big time. Totally alienated almost their entire core shopping base.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
akhenaten
Lucky for husband, the neighbors can't hear
My fav ride was the kidddie whip!!

They are apologizing for going to an everyday low price/ no coupons system. They just switched back to marking things up and offering sales ....lol

MK daytrip 1980
MK/epcot 1983 offsite
FW camp 1986
CBR 1991Dixie landings 1996 CBR july 2004
POR Riverside July 2011
akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #4
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post

Being honest, I never shop there and rarely pay attention to their commercials...I guess I should have!

Alienating their customers by taking away sales and coupons. Supposidly their "everyday prices" were lower but everything I usually bought was higher. They did have some cheaper stuff on clearance. It took me almost a year to use a $25 gift card I got for Christmas 2011.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #5
Plaid Sheep
What you get when two areas collide

I hate the way the remodeled our JC Penney.
It's like they are trying to get a higher end customer (Nordstroms, Lord and Taylor) and failing miserably.
I could find things I liked before and now it just wide open spaces of sorta chi chi clothing.

Sad really.....

Plaid Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post

Actually, their most recent error that they are apologizing for was the poorly thought out shirt they were offering for sale:

A large number of parents, women's groups and educators took offense at such a sentiment.

HAL Alaska 2009;2012;PC 2013Carnival Baja 2014
DCL Magic May 2008 Panama Canal WB, Sep 2010 Med/WB TransAtlantic,
DCL Wonder Oct & Dec 2011 Mexico, Oct 2012 Hawaii

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #7
glammadiva
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plaid Sheep
I hate the way the remodeled our JC Penney.
It's like they are trying to get a higher end customer (Nordstroms, Lord and Taylor) and failing miserably.
I could find things I liked before and now it just wide open spaces of sorta chi chi clothing.

Sad really.....
I feel the same way!
glammadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
pantherlj
DIS Veteran

I went yesterday to get a dress for my daughter. It took forever to find someone to ask where to check out - the checkout counters were gone from the women's clothing section. There were 2 last time I was there.
I finally found someone and she said I could go to shoes or jewelry or there were employees with handheld checkout machines. No one in shoes, jewelry lady was helping someone with picking out jewelry and it looked like it was going to be a while. Never did find anyone with a handheld checkout machine (where do they keep the bags anyway??). Finally went to the kids section and found a checkout counter. Very weird set up.
pantherlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
FLCyndi
Mouseketeer

What is chi chi clothing?
FLCyndi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #10
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

They eliminated mannequins, posters and clothes in their stores. You could walk in and see from one end of the store to the other. I asked a clerk, who is sort of my neighbor and asked what happened. She said they wanted it more streamlined and if you could not find your size, you should ask and they will go in the store room and get it, or order it online for you.

She also said inventory is low, and most customers no longer shop on stores but online.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:31 PM   #11
Pikester
DIS Veteran

I loved shopping at JCP! Notice I said "loved". I had no problem with the coupons and sales but I did understand what they were trying to do with streamlining the stores and with getting rid of the coupons by having every day prices.

The problem I had was with the styles of clothing they were now offering. I'm an almost 40yr old woman who does not want to wear skinny jeans, layers upon layers of see through clothing or extremely bright colors. They also did away with one of my favorite lines, St Johns Bay.

I was very lucky to win a $250 GC during their pin promo over the holidays but I had a very hard time spending it. I ended up buying a bunch of toys and then donating them to Toys for Tots. Got some new bathroom towels and a set of sheets too.

I have yet to take advantage of their newest coupons and discount codes due to the fact that there is nothing I want to wear from there. I did see that St Johns Bay was on it's way back in so my fingers are crossed that I might be able to finds something I like.

Pikester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:40 PM   #12
RitaE
DIS Veteran

St. Johns is coming back?

To make a long story short they hired a guy who had no clue what the JcPenney customer base was about. He made a bunch of changes, few of which were well received. He was then arrogant and condescending and managed to piss off most of the few customers that were left and he started laying off employees left and right to try and compensate for low sales.

Customers left in droves culminating in the result of what may have been the worst quarterly sales collapse in retail history.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jc-pe...history-2013-2

They fired him and brought back an ex-CEO to try and salvage the ruination of a 100 year old company.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:55 PM   #13
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

I loved the no coupon/sale thing. I loved the whole dollar pricing ($10 vs. $9.99).

The problem (for me) is that they decimated their selection, and what they did offer is never in stock.

They have the best fitting long sleeved blouses, perfect for work, and in 3 years (this problem pre-dated the change but I think it was made worse because of it) I have never been able to buy one because they never have the color I want in the size I need in stock either in stores or online. 3 years! I'm starting to think they never had the blouse to begin with in my size or in those colors.

I do now have a few $10 coupons, so maybe I'll take a look (again) and see if I can find something I want. Some of my earliest memories is of shopping at Penney's with my mother and I'd love to continue and shop there with my daughter once she's a bit older. Hope they turn it around.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #14
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
St. Johns is coming back?

To make a long story short they hired a guy who had no clue what the JcPenney customer base was about. He made a bunch of changes, few of which were well received. He was then arrogant and condescending and managed to piss off most of the few customers that were left and he started laying off employees left and right to try and compensate for low sales.

Customers left in droves culminating in the result of what may have been the worst quarterly sales collapse in retail history.

http://www.businessinsider.com/jc-pe...history-2013-2

They fired him and brought back an ex-CEO to try and salvage the ruination of a 100 year old company.
That's a perfect, succinct summary of what happened.

I'm hopefully we will get our old Penney's back. I LOVED my Jacque Penne (said with a breathy French accent). JCP, not so much.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
piglet too
I will take a Mudslide please
I do not actually eat the peppers, I just squirt
I'll never forget laying on my bed and seeing the mouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessShmoo View Post
Actually, their most recent error that they are apologizing for was the poorly thought out shirt they were offering for sale:

A large number of parents, women's groups and educators took offense at such a sentiment.
I think that shirt was from 2 years ago.

I do not intend to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death.
piglet too is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: