Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #1
buzz2400
The TF waves to buzz2400's DS

yellowstone and area, restrooms and cell reception

I am planning a trip for my parents end of August/early September. they are going to fly into salt lake city, drive up to idaho falls, then go around montana and wyoming (yellowstone, teton, etc) and end up in denver co to fly home. My mother has dementia but she is still pretty much functional. She is afraid that there won't be enough bathrooms around. So question in the national parks, even though each park is enormous, do they have adequate bathrooms located around.

I am also concerned about cell phone reception. If you have been in this area (montana and wyoming), what cell phone carrier do you have and did you get reception. They currently have verizon but I was thinking of getting a throw away phone from another carrier.
buzz2400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

I don't recall restrooms being an issue (been twenty years though), but don't let the gas tank run too low.
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

There are restrooms however they are: 1) widely spread out, 2) not always easy to find, and 3) not always traditional toilets. For example, there are definitely toilets at Canyon Village and at Mammoth Hot Springs, however, those 2 locations are about 50 miles apart. There are, no doubt, some restrooms at the eating and stopping sites between those two areas, but there's generally not any indication of which "in-between" places do have restrooms and, when they do, they very well may be pit toilets. Just be aware. For the average person, it shouldn't be a problem, however, for someone who may have incontinence issues, or who has a problem using porta-potty type facilities, it may be an issue.

I recall having no cell phone coverage anywhere in Yellowstone and for much of the surrounding areas. There's also no Wifi.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza - Fantasy/Villas at Wilderness Lodge (coming Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
CPT Tripss
DIS Veteran

I recall cell reception in Old Faithful area, I think that there was also reception in a couple of the other hotel areas.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
primgirl
Earning My Ears

We were there two years ago and Verizon has towers in Yellowstone. We have Verizon and had reception most of the time. There were a few dead spots.

I have a very small bladder and I had no problem finding bathrooms. When we ran across a bathroom we would just stop and take advantage of it. The only time I had an issue was on a 7 mile hike, I had to take advantage of the wilderness and find a bush.
Old 05-09-2013, 01:10 PM   #6
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

We did a trip to South Dakota/Montana/Wyoming last year. We have Verizon. My DS17 was very upset with little reception in parts of South Dakota. He has a texting habit In Yellowstone there were areas of no reception, but if you drive a little ways, you would get it back.

Restrooms. There are lots of visitor centers, general stores, restaurants, etc all throughout the park. Not too hard to find a restroom. Most are very nice. We were at a swimming beach in the Grand Teton park, it had a more basic restroom,but still flush toilets.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Here is the National Park Service website on cell phone and Wi Fi service in Yellowstone.
Short answer.......... there is some limted service, but they have decided they will not allow it in most areas of the park.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/parknews/09023.htm

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: