Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #1
westjones
Mother of Two Disney Princesses
Boy I learn something new all the time on these boards!

Credit Card for college students

I had my DD19 apply for a Disney Visa, but she was turned down (no credit history...which is why we want her to get a card to start building credit history).

So since college students can't get Disney Visas, what is a good card for them to get as a first credit card?

I don't want her to use it much, just once in a while and pay it off each month. But that way when it is time to buy a car she will have some credit history.
westjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:13 PM   #2
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

Go to Capital One's website and you can do a pre-qualification to see what/if she qualifies for. My 1st credit card was either Sears or Best Buy.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using DISBoards
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM   #3
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by westjones View Post
I had my DD19 apply for a Disney Visa, but she was turned down (no credit history...which is why we want her to get a card to start building credit history).

So since college students can't get Disney Visas, what is a good card for them to get as a first credit card?

I don't want her to use it much, just once in a while and pay it off each month. But that way when it is time to buy a car she will have some credit history.
I got my first card through my bank, explicitly as a Student Credit Card. It had an $800 limit, so there wasn't much I could do to make things really bad for myself, and it allowed me to build my credit.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
I got my first card through my bank, explicitly as a Student Credit Card. It had an $800 limit, so there wasn't much I could do to make things really bad for myself, and it allowed me to build my credit.
I did that too.

Are you USAA members? I think they are good at granting low-balance cards to family members.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
CupcakeKelly
This sleeve of Thin Mints IS my breakfast

My first credit card was a Discover card. I remember that being the only one that I could get at the time.

2014 Reading Challenge - Goal: 25 books
Completed: 6 of 25 - #1 Uglies ~ #2 The Maze Runner ~ #3 The Scorch Trials ~ #4 Matched ~ #5 Crossed ~ #6 Reached

Currently Reading: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
CupcakeKelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:21 PM   #6
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkerBelled View Post
That's what I did, too. Of course it was back in the 80s when the credit card companies were falling all over each other trying to sign up college students.

Maybe you can get a card for her with yourself as a co-owner of the account. Get it set up with a reallly low limit ($500 or so) and have her use it for something every month and pay it off each month. After a while, get yourself taken off the card. I would start with a local bank where she and you have accounts(not one of the big mega giant banks) - open a small savings or checking account if you dont' already have one there if necessary.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
westjones

OK thanks! I will check on those. And I only want her to have a low limit also....just to get started. I am shocked Disney Visa wouldn't give her one with a low limit. I even called and explained she was just wanting something with like a $500 limit just to get started, and she lives at home and both my husband and I have Disney Visas in good standing. All they could offer was to give her a card with OUR number to use, but that doesn't help her get credit.

But Disney Visa just lost a customer they could have had for life. Doesn't make sense.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
westjones

I don't want my name on it because I want her to establish credit.

I know there are companies who do give College Students card. We just wanted to 'keep it in the family' and get her a Disney Visa. I mean, who doesn't want a credit card with Mickey Mouse on it!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #9
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't want my name on it because I want her to establish credit.

I know there are companies who do give College Students card. We just wanted to 'keep it in the family' and get her a Disney Visa. I mean, who doesn't want a credit card with Mickey Mouse on it!
She will still establish credit with your name on it. I was added to my mom's card at 16 and that established my credit for when I was 18.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
She will still establish credit with your name on it. I was added to my mom's card at 16 and that established my credit for when I was 18.
I agree. DD19 has an AMEX on our account. She can view her purchases online and it shows on her credit report.
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #11
westjones

OK, well I will keep that in mind. I see that Capital One has a student card, I may have her apply for that and see what happens. If she gets turned down again, I will look into getting a joint card with her.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

Quote:
OK, well I will keep that in mind. I see that Capital One has a student card, I may have her apply for that and see what happens. If she gets turned down again, I will look into getting a joint card with her.
The best way to get a card is to go talk to your bank or credit union. That's how I got my first card.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:56 PM   #13
BrownEyedGrl
Earning My Ears

I got a student Discover card and I remember the limit being very low which was good. I still have it today. They have the best customer service by far as well.
BrownEyedGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #14
mamacatnv
I am the queen of straw!
Almost anything can be fixed with pasta
Do my DH's "Shorty Shorts" count?
I go in search of code!

I contacted our credit union and co-signed on a card for my DS - I asked for a $1000 limit and they granted it.

It's been almost a year, when he hits the one year mark our CU suggested he then apply to have me removed since the history would have begun to be established and he will be on his way with his own credit
POFQ-1/1-1/9/07, ASMu-Dec 05/Jan 06 ASSp-Dec 99/Jan 00 Turn of the Century
Thanks AidensMom
mamacatnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #15
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

When my brother and I turned 18 my dad had us get a credit card thru our credit union so we could build credit. I still have the card but i hardly use it. I also remember getting an old navy card when i was 20 or so.
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: