Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi
is looking for a funny tag to put under her name
How about..Eats all the peanut butter out of the chocolate ice cream?
Showed BestBuy her Best Pink Lace

small bridal shower

home or restaurant? I am helping plan my dd's bridal shower. There will probably be 12-15 people there, maybe less. My home can accommodate that many people if I rent folding chairs. It is possible that to get what you need for a group that size that a restaurant might be close to the same cost.
Also, what do you do with men at the showers. It used to be that men never came to showers. As families spread out men began coming but hanging out in another room. I have seen quite a few co-ed showers lately.

Flamingo Restored by Dan Murphy
Tiggeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:29 PM   #2
Donnainnj
Loves having an AP
Has lost about 4 toppers

Also on the Jersey Shore. I would have it out. I know I would end up spending about the same amount if I had it at home, and have so much more work to do. As for the men, unless I invited them, I would have them fend for themselves.
Donna
PS - If you have it at home ask some friends for folding chairs, someone must have some.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2013, 08:09 PM   #3
kirstenb1
DIS Veteran

I'd definitely ask to borrow folding chairs. If you attend a church, they will likely have a ton there, and be willing to lend them to you. I enjoy entertaining, and like going to friend's homes, so I'd vote to do it at your house.
kirstenb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

FOr under 15 people I would have the shower in my home. I know there would be a lot of work, but I would enjoy it. I would not invite the men. If you have to entertain teh men, have it out, you are now looking at in excess of 30 people and that is a lot of work.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Don't invite the men. Have the groom do something with them - fishing, hang out at the beach, whatever.

Bridal showers are much more fun when they're just women (at least with my friends - always lots of champagne, lingerie, and mild naughtiness.)
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
clh2
I am the Pixie Stick NARC at my house

When we had the wedding showers for my sisters - the guys (dad, grandpa, the boyfriends, and son-in-laws and the groom) went and did a brewery tour.

"WONDER" ful trip 10/2003
followed by a couple of days at the Swan

I want a real countdown timer again!
clh2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:29 AM   #7
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi

If we were to go out the guys would not be invited. If any came they would be on their own or they could stay here and dh would order pizza. I do love entertaining but am torn on this one. I live in a shore house and have had steady guests since memorial day and have more guests coming for the 4th and the following week. I know by the time I go shopping we will spend equal amounts either way because there are things that you need whether your group is small or large. But a home affair could be more intimate.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:35 AM   #8
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I'd lean toward doing it at home.

I loathe all female showers. What's to entertain? Invite the men, skip the childish shower games, serve good food and drink and let people enjoy.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
I'd lean toward doing it at home.

I loathe all female showers. What's to entertain? Invite the men, skip the childish shower games, serve good food and drink and let people enjoy.
When my son married, I hosted an old fashioned Jack and Jill and invited couples. We hosted this at an area restaurant and while it really was a couple shower, the dynamic was different. Totally suited the bridal couple and was appropriate because my cousins all came from a distance.
I gave a bridal tea for my DDIL and my SIS Il and this atmosphere was perfect for these occasions. I never ever liked games so there were none at any event I planned. Very intimate.

(In my family, mothers plan these events. Just because you know how some folks feel about Mom's hosting showers )
Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Tiggeroo
Grammar Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyg56 View Post
When my son married, I hosted an old fashioned Jack and Jill and invited couples. We hosted this at an area restaurant and while it really was a couple shower, the dynamic was different. Totally suited the bridal couple and was appropriate because my cousins all came from a distance.
I gave a bridal tea for my DDIL and my SIS Il and this atmosphere was perfect for these occasions. I never ever liked games so there were none at any event I planned. Very intimate.

(In my family, mothers plan these events. Just because you know how some folks feel about Mom's hosting showers )

My dd's MOH just moved back to the states after spending three years in Switzerland. She's not in a good place for shower planning. However, she will send out invites and help.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #11
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

For something small like that I woudl vote something at home or maybe a small provate room at a resturant.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #12
Nancyg56
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggeroo View Post
[/B]
My dd's MOH just moved back to the states after spending three years in Switzerland. She's not in a good place for shower planning. However, she will send out invites and help.
In that case, I bet you could plan something very nice in your home. You could get most of this done ahead. Make platters of pretty tea sandwiches like egg salad, chicken salad and cucumber, a cold salad like a spinach, strawberry and blueberry salad, small plates of cookies, lemon squares and a pretty punch, tea and coffee. Finish with a cake.

You could have candy dishes with mixed nuts and candies on side tables. It would be lovely

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: