Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 AM   #1
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Wink Carbs ARE Evil!!

I can now confirm with certainty that carbs are evil. Over the past year my blood sugar has steadily gone up and after the last doctorís appointment, he indicated that I really needed to shed pounds as I was pre-diabetic.

So, Iíve been doing carb counting and doing substations for all the foods I enjoy. One of my big sacrifices was going to be bread (toast, sandwiches, etc), however, I found a bread made by Pepperidge Farms called Carb Style. Itís only 5 carbs per slice!!!!

So over the past 8 weeks, with NO exercise, Iíve lost 17 lbs. I actually did not exercise on purpose because the doctor said I would be amazed on how much weight I would lose by reducing/eliminating carbs without exercise. I thought he was full of it but wanted to see if there was any credence to his statement. Well, there is.

Beginning today, I start my exercise regime. If Iíve lost that much in 8 weeks with no exercise, I can only imagine how much Iíll lose with it!!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:10 AM   #2
PollyannaMom
I was a click-clack champ!!

Congrats on your weight loss so far and your determination!

me, DH, DS(13), and lots of pets
PollyannaMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
PebblesMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerdreams View Post
I can now confirm with certainty that carbs are evil. Over the past year my blood sugar has steadily gone up and after the last doctorís appointment, he indicated that I really needed to shed pounds as I was pre-diabetic.

So, Iíve been doing carb counting and doing substations for all the foods I enjoy. One of my big sacrifices was going to be bread (toast, sandwiches, etc), however, I found a bread made by Pepperidge Farms called Carb Style. Itís only 5 carbs per slice!!!!

So over the past 8 weeks, with NO exercise, Iíve lost 17 lbs. I actually did not exercise on purpose because the doctor said I would be amazed on how much weight I would lose by reducing/eliminating carbs without exercise. I thought he was full of it but wanted to see if there was any credence to his statement. Well, there is.

Beginning today, I start my exercise regime. If Iíve lost that much in 8 weeks with no exercise, I can only imagine how much Iíll lose with it!!
It's too funny that you just posted this. I just ate a bagel and a banana and my insides are screaming CARBS MORE CARBS! I'm trying to fight against my cravings but don't think I'll win.

However, you seem to be doing well with it! Keep up the good work, sometimes it's getting over the initial cravings that is helpful. Also, I have a bread that is only 3 carbs for 2 slices, I'll try to remember the name for you. It was good bread too!
PebblesMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

Congratulations! Today is day 1 for me of trying to eat low carb. I hope I can do as well as you have done!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:23 AM   #5
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

I would love to know that bread. Only 3 carbs for 2 slices!! You would be amazed at how the cravings go away. I still enjoy all the foods I ate before but have eliminated the "refined" stuff. I have switched out regular flour for almond flour and whole wheat (organic). I use mostly the almond flour and have made muffins, cookies, etc. All delicious and very low carbs. I also use raw sugar and raw brown sugar and Agave versus the refined sugars.

Also use the almond flour for breading for chicken or pork cutlets with adding seasonings.

It's amazing what a difference in a few changes makes! I don't even consider it a diet since I really have not eliminated any foods. Any foods that are not good - such as white potatos, rice, etc., I have as a special treat - maybe once a month.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Congrats!
Old 03-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #7
IUTBAM
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerdreams View Post
Any foods that are not good - such as white potatos, rice, etc., I have as a special treat - maybe once a month.
If you have a family that loves rice and potatoes (not excessive, but we do eat them often as side dishes), what do you do?
IUTBAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:37 AM   #8
daemom
DIS Veteran

Congrats!! That's wonderful! I KNOW that carbs are bad for me and I MUST break up with them--but it's very hard. Did you use any specific web sites or books for recipes or did you just make the swaps? Keep up the good work!!
daemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #9
npmommie
Channels George Michael in her car...

I am trying to cut out carbs as well. The refined bad ones. I bought some coconut flour but i havent made anything with it yet. Almond meal/ flour is on my list.
Its hard.....i love bread!
This blog has tons of good recipes. I made the mashed cauliflower this weekend and it was really good. I also made the pizza crust with cauliflower also ver very good. Kids didnt even realize they were eating veggies.

http://yourlighterside.com/
npmommie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #10
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUTBAM View Post
If you have a family that loves rice and potatoes (not excessive, but we do eat them often as side dishes), what do you do?
If you love potatoes, try doing "mashed potatoes" - using cauliflower (medium head), 2 tablespoons of creamcheese, some minced garlic (if you like garlic) and mis in a blender after the cauliflower is cooked and you have mashed potatoes - they are very good.

For rice, try brown rice. It's really the only alternative I've found so far.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

Some people do great on a low-carb diet. For me, it does absolutely nothing. I've tried it several times and was very careful about what I ate. I gave it one last college try in Nov/Dec. I lost nothing in almost two months. Then I switched over to Weight Watchers in January, which includes good carbs like brown rice and whole grain bread. I've since lost 15 pounds. I guess my body likes carbs and won't give up a single pound unless it gets some!
Luv Bunnies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemom View Post
Congrats!! That's wonderful! I KNOW that carbs are bad for me and I MUST break up with them--but it's very hard. Did you use any specific web sites or books for recipes or did you just make the swaps? Keep up the good work!!
I actually talked to a dietician - cost me $25 for a 2 hour private session and she indicated to stay away from ANY refined product, processed foods and only drink water if possible. She did allow me coffee (black) which I drink that way anyway and a small glass of juice in the morning.

I also bought a juicer and now have fresh, no processed juices. What a difference!!

I did just experiment with recipies and trading out one ingredient for another but have since bought a couple of cookbooks aimed at almond flour recipes.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #13
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npmommie View Post
I am trying to cut out carbs as well. The refined bad ones. I bought some coconut flour but i havent made anything with it yet. Almond meal/ flour is on my list.
Its hard.....i love bread!
This blog has tons of good recipes. I made the mashed cauliflower this weekend and it was really good. I also made the pizza crust with cauliflower also ver very good. Kids didnt even realize they were eating veggies.

http://yourlighterside.com/
Keep at it and read labels. There are a lot of products out there that are low carb. One I just recently found is called Blaze. Its a balsamic glaze that is delicious and you can put it on salads (with nothing else), add it to veggies or BBQ with it - its 4 carbs per serving.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:54 AM   #14
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
Some people do great on a low-carb diet. For me, it does absolutely nothing. I've tried it several times and was very careful about what I ate. I gave it one last college try in Nov/Dec. I lost nothing in almost two months. Then I switched over to Weight Watchers in January, which includes good carbs like brown rice and whole grain bread. I've since lost 15 pounds. I guess my body likes carbs and won't give up a single pound unless it gets some!
Be careful, there are 2 types of carbs that the doctor described, complex and simple. He explained it as this. The complex carbs are found in breads, white flour, white sugar, potatoes, etc. Your liver turns complex carbs to sugar almost instantly. With simple carbs - those found in vegtables, fruits, etc, the liver tries to turn it to sugar but gives up and passes it through the rest of your system.

Also be careful with whole grains - the dietician said that just because it says whole grain does not mean it doesn't contain "enriched" something in it - which is a no-no.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:58 AM   #15
Shagley
If you don't move when I say "beep beep", I will run you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv Bunnies View Post
I agree that different things work for different people. I think anything that helps people eat healthier is wonderful. WW used to work great for me, but for some reason the last couple of times I have had a hard time sticking to the plan. I think it is great that it is working for you! Keep up the great work!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: