Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Am I premenopausal?

I'm hoping for some help please! The last few months my periods have been lighter and shorter which is not normally how they are. Then this past month, no period at all. I keep thinking it's coming, and then, nothing. I took 2 pregnancy tests and both were negative. I'm 40 1/2 and wondering wth is going on. I have an appt. with my GYN next week.
Elinor Dashwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #2
Disneylover99
DIS Veteran

You might be premenopausal or not....
It would probably be too difficult to determine at this point.

I had my last period at 39, but I had no other symptoms of menopause. My bloodwork was inconclusive, though they ruled out other problems. Even my estrogen levels were within the normal range into my early forties. After two years of not having a period, my doctor decided that I must have gone through menopause.

Try not to worry too much about it....remember stress causes irregular periods too!

Good luck!
Disneylover99 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I have found that GYNs don't get too excited about period "blips" in your 30s and 40s. You could be in perimenopause but maybe not.

Hyperthyroidism can cause shorter, lighter periods so you may want to have your thyroid levels checked. Otherwise, hormonal tests to determine stages of perimenopause are notoriously unreliable. Your GYN may just do some routine bloodwork and then possible check your ovaries for cysts.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylover99 View Post
You might be premenopausal or not....
It would probably be too difficult to determine at this point.

I had my last period at 39, but I had no other symptoms of menopause. My bloodwork was inconclusive, though they ruled out other problems. Even my estrogen levels were within the normal range into my early forties. After two years of not having a period, my doctor decided that I must have gone through menopause.

Try not to worry too much about it....remember stress causes irregular periods too!

Good luck!
Good to know! Thanks so much.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #5
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
I have found that GYNs don't get too excited about period "blips" in your 30s and 40s. You could be in perimenopause but maybe not.

Hyperthyroidism can cause shorter, lighter periods so you may want to have your thyroid levels checked. Otherwise, hormonal tests to determine stages of perimenopause are notoriously unreliable. Your GYN may just do some routine bloodwork and then possible check your ovaries for cysts.
I am hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) but my levels are great, just had them checked last month.

I'm just concerned a bit because if this means my cycles are off or lengthening, then DH might have gotten me pregnant lol. Not to get too personal here, but normally my cycles are every 25-26 days like clockwork. So the day or 2 before, I don't worry about my DH using protection since I know my period will be coming very soon. But now that it seems I've skipped a period, I don't know what to think.
Old 05-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #6
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

You could go to the doctor and have a blood test to check and see if you are premenopausal if you want. You should also keep using birth control at all times until you know you are in menopause. I know quite a few people who became pregnant in their 40s not thinking it would happen to them.

The episode with Maude finding out she was pregnant in her 40s was on TV just last night.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:32 AM   #7
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elinor Dashwood View Post
I am hypothyroid (Hashimoto's) but my levels are great, just had them checked last month.

I'm just concerned a bit because if this means my cycles are off or lengthening, then DH might have gotten me pregnant lol. Not to get too personal here, but normally my cycles are every 25-26 days like clockwork. So the day or 2 before, I don't worry about my DH using protection since I know my period will be coming very soon. But now that it seems I've skipped a period, I don't know what to think.
Yeah, when you get to your 40s, you can't really rely on that method anymore. I was like CLOCKWORK, 29 days, every cycle, all my life. Until I hit about 45. Then it was 32 days, 27 days, 34 days, etc. In the last 2 years, I skip at least 2 periods a year. I'm on a real "regular" stretch now in that I've been at 29 days for the last cycles. I will be 50 this year.

At this point in your life, you may need to work on more constant forms of protection.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Sounds like a great discussion to have with your doctor.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HM View Post
You could go to the doctor and have a blood test to check and see if you are premenopausal if you want. You should also keep using birth control at all times until you know you are in menopause. I know quite a few people who became pregnant in their 40s not thinking it would happen to them.

The episode with Maude finding out she was pregnant in her 40s was on TV just last night.
I've been soooo regular all my life that this is throwing me for a loop. I have an awesome GYN dr. that I love so I trust what he says. Next week I see him and I'll go from there. I was just curious if a woman can actually be premenopausal at only 40. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:50 AM   #10
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
Yeah, when you get to your 40s, you can't really rely on that method anymore. I was like CLOCKWORK, 29 days, every cycle, all my life. Until I hit about 45. Then it was 32 days, 27 days, 34 days, etc. In the last 2 years, I skip at least 2 periods a year. I'm on a real "regular" stretch now in that I've been at 29 days for the last cycles. I will be 50 this year.

At this point in your life, you may need to work on more constant forms of protection.
I think you're right! DH won't be too happy. But yes, I won't be counting on THAT safety net window anymore.

Ok, so your cycles can just kind stretch out or even skip? That's good to know. I just wasn't expecting to even be considering premenopausal since my mom didn't start until her latter 40's. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:57 AM   #11
LuvinLucifer
Mouseketeer

When did your mother go through menopause?
LuvinLucifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvinLucifer View Post
When did your mother go through menopause?
She began menopause in her 50's. Premenopausal when she was like 48.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
Straitlover
DIS Veteran

Do you mean perimenopausal???

I had my first hot flash at 40, and I became very irregular. I had my last period at 45 (October 2010). The two years before, I only had 3-4 a year.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
Elinor Dashwood
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straitlover View Post
Do you mean perimenopausal???

I had my first hot flash at 40, and I became very irregular. I had my last period at 45 (October 2010). The two years before, I only had 3-4 a year.
I think it's the same as premenopausal?

You know, over the last 2 months, I keep asking my husband if it's hot in our house. My face feels totally flushed but I thought maybe it was due to seasonal allergies or something like that. What does a hot flash feel like?
Old 05-02-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

I started peri-menopause in my early 40s and I was soooo hopeful that I would be done soon. Not to be. I am 56 and my last period was 6 months ago. That's right. About 13-16 YEARS of peri-menopause. I am happy to say that I didn't have a lot of hot flashes, though I felt hot in general most of the time. That's GONE. Now I'm cold all the time. My poor DH can't win!

OP, I hope your peri-menopause goes quickly(if you're looking forward to that.)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: