Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #91
NaLisa
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Yes, I think being "outdoorsy" is a bit of a requirement. I love nature. I live for it daily.

This morning I was out enjoying the birds. Last night the dogs kept us up late because I have a bunny that has moved into my landscaping somewhere.

One of my dogs was on "bunny patrol" inside the house. She was so helpful to sound the alarm every time Little Rabbit Foo Foo was out yard.

I also grew up with a "summer home" in the woods and my dad's vacations consisted of going to different lakes and fishing.

Plus living in Missouri, we are campground central with lakes and rivers.
DH & I camped at Sam A. Baker SP once and had a great time. We tubed the river for hours (with a third tube holding the cooler tied to one of our ours). I was so proud of my logistical planning.

The campground was at the put in point, and we planned to float about four hours downstream. So we rented two bikes from the outpost, put them in the car, drove to the take-out point and left the car there, rode the bikes back to the outpost and turned them in, then walked to our campsite and put in the river. Floated for several hours with stops for lunch and nature viewing, then we we took out we had dry towels and a car to ride back to our campsite.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:00 AM   #92
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaLisa View Post
DH & I camped at Sam A. Baker SP once and had a great time. We tubed the river for hours (with a third tube holding the cooler tied to one of our ours). I was so proud of my logistical planning.

The campground was at the put in point, and we planned to float about four hours downstream. So we rented two bikes from the outpost, put them in the car, drove to the take-out point and left the car there, rode the bikes back to the outpost and turned them in, then walked to our campsite and put in the river. Floated for several hours with stops for lunch and nature viewing, then we we took out we had dry towels and a car to ride back to our campsite.
Oh yea, floating in Missouri is one of those things everyone does at some point if not regular.

Nothing like a good float trip to chill out and have some strangers from another raft, tube, or canoe toss you a couple of jello shots.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #93
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:

That sounds like so much fun!

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #94
snarlingcoyote
I know people who live in really carpy school districts

Dh is thinking about buying an old FEMA trailer and sticking it out at the hunting camp. Tent camping doesn't have even the slightest appeal to me, but I don't mind the notion of RVing. I have 4G on my new 9" Kindle and a keyboard and okay cell coverage and DH has a gamer's laptop so all the comforts of home.

If he buys a trailer, I'm asking for a used 4 wheeler of my own for Christmas so we can go out on weekends and pursue our own hobbies (mine is archaeology and history; his is fishing and hunting; and we can do both at the camp).

I don't really consider that camping. No one will cook, per se; we'll bring in prepared foods from the deli. I'll have AC, a flush toilet, a bed, a coffee maker, the internet, DirectTV and be able to play computer games.
snarlingcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #95
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:

That was our go to spot for camping when I was a kid. We had a popup and so did our friends. Loved that place.

Most of my float trips have been out of Eminence on the Jacks Fork - great place to float. We'd tent camp at Circle B
Old 05-04-2013, 10:18 AM   #96
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
Exactly, the poster I was responding to was doing her best to show how wonderful it was, I was simply stating that for many of us camping is not and never will be enjoyable for some of us.
But the point of the thread wasn't so much to convince people who hate it why thy should love it. Rather, it's for someone who isn't looking forward to it trying to at least tolerate something their SO loves.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:31 AM   #97
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mystery Machine View Post
Yes, I think being "outdoorsy" is a bit of a requirement. I love nature. I live for it daily.

This morning I was out enjoying the birds. Last night the dogs kept us up late because I have a bunny that has moved into my landscaping somewhere.

One of my dogs was on "bunny patrol" inside the house. She was so helpful to sound the alarm every time Little Rabbit Foo Foo was out yard.

I also grew up with a "summer home" in the woods and my dad's vacations consisted of going to different lakes and fishing.

Plus living in Missouri, we are campground central with lakes and rivers.
I consider myself somewhat outdoorsy. I also love nature. But at the end of the day, I want to eat my dinner sans sand. I want to shower in a real shower where I do not have to keep one eye on the humongous spider web in the corner and wonder who is wandering into the communal shower area. I want to crawl into a real bed, not one I need to blow up with a pump. And when I have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I do not want to use a flashlight to find my way. But I do enjoy nature!
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #98
Sorsha
People, don't be like the chickens

Like PPs, I HATE camping if it is tent camping. I hate bugs, I hate sleeping in a sleeping bag on the ground (or even a nasty camp cot), I hate being cold, and I hate outhouse-style potties.

Now, I don't mind food cooked over a campfire at all, that is actually one of the things I DO like.

If I can "go camping" in an RV (it has to be big enough to have it's own full-sized bed with soft mattress), and that RV is plugged into electricity in the campground (heat, A/C, fridge, lights, etc), and that campground has real bathrooms, then I am happy to go camping.

I have also gone "camping" in a KOA that offered cabins and yurts. We chose a yurt, and it was OK - we still had to sleep on essentially "cots" with very flat cushions on them, in sleeping bags. But it had heat and lights, and kept the bugs and dampness out. Unfortunately, we didn't realize that a railroad ran in such close proximity; every hour or so the freight trains went by and blew their whistles at crossings... over, and over, and over...

I would say that if you want to go, because you want to go with your spouse or family, you guys will need to come up with an RV or quite civilized cabin for accommodations. Your spouse should understand that and be willing to make sacrifices so you can go along. My spouse and I? We've come to an arrangement. He goes camping/fishing/etc with his buddies and lives like Grizzly Adams for a weekend; I go shopping and out to dinner with my girlfriends and sleep in my own bed.

Upcoming California and Disneyland Pre-Trip!
"My kids' through the years at Disney parks" video!
Sorsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:45 PM   #99
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I consider myself somewhat outdoorsy. I also love nature. But at the end of the day, I want to eat my dinner sans sand. I want to shower in a real shower where I do not have to keep one eye on the humongous spider web in the corner and wonder who is wandering into the communal shower area. I want to crawl into a real bed, not one I need to blow up with a pump. And when I have to get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, I do not want to use a flashlight to find my way. But I do enjoy nature!
Well yea, there is THAT. Picky, picky.

I do prefer cabin rental over tent camping that is for sure.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:25 PM   #100
superme80
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
This is so me! And turns out is DH too!!!!
DH-42 ME-34 DS #1-5 DS #2 3 DS #3 9 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:31 PM   #101
burnurcomputer
DIS Veteran

When we tent-camped, we kept almost all the stuff you list in the trunk of the car, all summer. Then, when it was time to go, we packed the clothes. Having a truck, or a big SUV would be better.

I have minivan with a full size trunk....still not enough room for us, lol!!!!!
burnurcomputer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:44 PM   #102
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Since there are 7 pages here that I haven't read someone has probably already suggested this:
I'm in the same position went tent camping for most of my childhood, swore when I got my first job that I'd never have to camp again.

A couple of years ago I YES I (!) decided I wanted to do infield camping at Atlanta Motor Speedway for race weekend. We rented the biggest RV we could afford and premade a lot of food. Chili, beef stew, slaw, potato salad. AND bought a gas cooktop. There you can't have any open flame so no cooking on a campfire, you really don't have to do that any place. As well most RVs have microwaves. It also gave me an excellent excuse to eat junk food, Fritos, cheetos, pound cake I bought at publix..........
I actually look foward to something I thought I hated !
Good Luck, Hope you end up loving it !
Old 05-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #103
DeaverTex
Smelling like a horse doesn't make you a cavalryman
I'd wear a pair. I might even be able to get Mrs. Tex to wear some
I need to provide sufficient background in every post to make sense

It seems that camping is akin to dancing in at least one respect. The people who love it can't understand those who don't. And, in my experience, both are evangelical about it to the point of aggravation.

Enjoy your camping -- it's a great activity. Just not for all of us, 'k?

Deaver Tex Mrs. Tex Tex Jr.

7-10 October 2012 - POR
Nothing else planned right now.

DeaverTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #104
MinnieLovesMickey12
DIS Veteran

Location: Way down South near the banks of the mighty Mississippi River.

I hate camping. I won't do it. It is my worst nightmare.

When my DS28 was about 10 we use to go to a state park that had open air cabins and you slept on air mattresses and that was miserable trying to sleep in the summer in Texas. We only did that a few times and I said I HAVE HAD ENOUGH.

And I haven't camped since.

Now I will say this. I have stayed in a camper a few times when DH and I first got together. He had a deer camp about 3 hours north of here and he had a camper up there that has a shower and a kitchen in it. So I stayed in that with him a few times. That wasn't too bad actually. I had satellite TV.

But sleep in a tent? Never in my life will I or have I.
12/7-12/13/14 Wyndham Bonnet Creek-- Adults Only trip 10/31-11/10/15 Wyndham Bonnet Creek -- Family Trip
MinnieLovesMickey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #105
Imzadi
I can shoot a gun, but I'm scared to open a can of biscuits
Point Free Zone
I'm the only one getting lumpy hummus
Like Pakey's

Location: NYC - "They may take our lives, but they'll never take our FREEDOM!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
But the point of the thread wasn't so much to convince people who hate it why thy should love it. Rather, it's for someone who isn't looking forward to it trying to at least tolerate something their SO loves.

Why, in 7 pages has no one pointed out, that if the DH knows how much the OP hates to camp and has to find ways to tolerateit, why can't HE say, "Oh honey! That is so wonderful that you'd actually be willing to do something you so hate to make me happy. BUT, how can I really be happy doing this knowing how much you hate this and are ONLY doing this to make me happy? I really can't enjoy this too much knowing that 50% of us is having a bad time."

Unless the event is of a "dealbreaker" status, where my SO has to go in support of me, I know _I_ wouldn't want to subject my SO to something he just can't stand, just to make me happy. I'd love him for his willingness, but I'd say, "Let's do something else that would make us BOTH happy."
There are one billion, billion, planets capable of supporting life, like ours. And in all of that,
and maybe even more, there is only one of each of us. Don't destroy the one named Kirk."
.........~ Dr. Leonard McCoy to Captain James T. Kirk
. . . . . . . Scotty, beam me up! . . . . . .
Balls by Kimmar I've been Grumpy Pirated! Turkeyed by figment52
Bewitched by Evil Genius!
Thanks!
Imzadi is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: