Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #16
LisaR

I wouldn't do it. I am with you, I hate camping with a passion, but I have considered it in the past since my poor, deprived children have never had the "pleasure" of camping. After talking to many people, some who love camping, I have discovered, as some have posted, it is much more bearable if you have all the right equipment. No way was I going to invest that much money in all the proper equipment for one weekend of our lives never to use the stuff again. I will "rough it" in a Holiday Inn, which is as close to camping as I will ever get.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #17
corgi_monster
DIS Veteran

Have your husband set up the tent, cook the food, do all the cleaning, packing, setting up the airbed, etc. while you relax with a good book?

Okay, I admit, that's not very nice or helpful.

But seriously, maybe you can treat yourself to a little luxury item that you could use at camp. Luxury sheet set for the air mattress, high end toiletries, a nice jacket or swimsuit? At least you'll look forward to using these little niceties instead of thinking about how uncomfortable you are.
March 2014 - Paris Disneyland Resort, Sept 2012 - Tokyo Disney Resort, Jan '12 - WDW, July '10 Disneyland, May '10 Tokyo Disney Resort, Aug '09 - Disneyland, June '08 Disneyland, Dec '07 - WDW, Sept '07 - WDW, Jan '07 - Disneyland, Sept. '06 - WDW Feb. '06 - Disneyland, Sept. '05 - Hong Kong DL, and many, many prior trips to DL!
corgi_monster is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #18
Uncle Remus
Raconteur
can't name 'em Jeb, George, and Barbara, these are GOOD dogs!

Thank goodness the only compromise I would make with my wife is to stay at AKL rather than my favorite BCV because we both hate camping.

Good luck, OP, I think it's nice you're even considering it.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #19
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

You would need a bed, some electricity, running water, and maid service. Oh wait, that's a hotel.

I went camping once and that was one time too many. Bugs, frizzy hair, nowhere to shower or freshen up except a cold creek, and a boyfriend who kept insisting, "isn't this romantic?" Yeah, crapping in a hole. Romantic. No wonder we broke up.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:58 AM   #20
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

Treat yo self.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rgJwKZ2TZc
Old 05-02-2013, 09:02 AM   #21
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

I hate it too. We solved the problem by having Dh join Y-Adventure Guides with the kids. He and they went camping and I got a blessed weekend alone twice a year.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:09 AM   #22
Darcy03231
DIS Veteran

OP I could have written your post. I also hate camping. Having said that I go for a long weekend once a year. We get together with a big group of friends that I love, but they all live about 6 hours away from us. This is what helped me:

1. Large tent with 2 separate areas. There's a sleeping area and a living area. We can stand up in it.

2. DH and I each have our own cots and air mattresses.

3. We invested in a really nice (small) propane grill and coleman camp stove.

4. We always stay at a campsite that has bathrooms and showers.

5. We have an easy-up screen house. It makes sitting out at night pretty comfortable.

6. I usually have a couple of glasses of adult beverage in the evening and take a benadryl before I go to bed.

Good luck to you.
Darcy03231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #23
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

I've been camping twice and I HATED it. I'd bring an air mattress and lots of delicious snacks along with good books and sleeping pills.
MrsDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:13 AM   #24
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emom View Post
i don't know what to tell you. My family camped when i was young and i hated it. I always say that's why god invented hotels......so people like me would not have to camp.
+1
Old 05-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #25
NotUrsula
DIS Veteran

Not that I'm a huge fan of camping, but I can enjoy a night or two so long as the weather is just right: crisp but not cold, but ABSOLUTELY NOT IN HOT WEATHER! (Also, here in my part of the midwest, Spring often means tornadoes, so even though the temps may be good, I'm not about to risk getting caught out in the woods during a twister.)

We don't own a lot of camping gear at all; besides just the general-use stuff such as rope and flashlights, we do have sleeping bags, but that's it.
If we camp, we rent the rest from REI. It costs about $100 to rent a full set of good-quality gear for a weekend.
NotUrsula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:22 AM   #26
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Don't like camping, don't care what conveniences you have. Do not like it in any way what so ever. Motel 6 is about as far as roughing it as I would go. Sorry I wasn't any more help.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #27
design_mom
I am probably more like my dad than I care to admit
I hate touching raw meat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotUrsula View Post
If we camp, we rent the rest from REI. It costs about $100 to rent a full set of good-quality gear for a weekend.
I had no idea you could rent camping gear. (Although we don't have an REI to rent it from anyway.)
Old 05-02-2013, 09:23 AM   #28
worm761

I speak just to hear my own voice
I about died laughing when i heard that!!!

Thank you all for the advice. I will have to look at what is available. I think I could do a camper. The tent was horrible. We do have the camp stove/grill and the lanterns and stuff. When a hurricane hits it is like camping in your own house.
worm761 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:32 AM   #29
branv
The safety feature in my parents van was floor to ceiling shag carpet
If your clothes are cute enough, you can be forgiven for sensible shoes

Ack, I loathe tent camping too. I mean, I like the part in the evening when you can see the stars and sit around the fire, but everything else stinks. My family used to camp every summer (dead of summer...in Texas) on an island at the lake. No bathrooms, no electricity, nada. I am positively terrified of bugs (I put a hole in the tent when I was 9 b/c I was trying to kill a spider with an ax). I hatehatehatehatehate the heat. Seriously, how does anyone sleep without A/C. It's insanity. At the lake it was always so hot, even the water was like bathtub water.

And I DO NOT use the bathroom outdoors. Not anymore, not gonna happen (when I was a kid, I made myself sick every time holding it in). And since as an adult I always have to get up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom, even if there is a nearby bathroom center, I'm not getting dressed, grabbing a flashlight and hauling myself alone all the way to some spooky Camp Crystal Lake scenario. Seriously, even those really nice campsite bathrooms always have some awful spider/scorpion/centipede lurking in the corner. BLAH! I also sleep lightly, so no matter how glam the camp, I will be up all night. So on the flip side, most campgrounds are so overrun nowadays, and people so clueless about camping etiquette, that you might as well be camping in a parking lot for all the peace, quiet and nature you get.

The only way I might go camping now is if it's not actual camping, like with a good RV or a nicely maintained cabin with a frequent relationship with an Exterminator. Though my idea of the latter is something like the Wilderness Lodge. That's about as close to roughing it as I like to get.
branv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:54 AM   #30
indimom
Are We There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgi_monster View Post
Have your husband set up the tent, cook the food, do all the cleaning, packing, setting up the airbed, etc. while you relax with a good book?

Okay, I admit, that's not very nice or helpful.

But seriously, maybe you can treat yourself to a little luxury item that you could use at camp. Luxury sheet set for the air mattress, high end toiletries, a nice jacket or swimsuit? At least you'll look forward to using these little niceties instead of thinking about how uncomfortable you are.
I don't think that's a "not nice" suggestion. It's actually a pretty good compromise. OP's hubby enjoys camping. And, if he's like my hubs, he also enjoys doing all of that stuff.

That's one of the reasons I actually enjoy tent camping. Once the tent is up (I do help with that), DH does just about everything, including the cooking. I just relax and occasionally hand him something or hold a stick (with a hot dog or marshmallow on the end of it) over the fire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy03231 View Post
OP I could have written your post. I also hate camping. Having said that I go for a long weekend once a year. We get together with a big group of friends that I love, but they all live about 6 hours away from us. This is what helped me:

1. Large tent with 2 separate areas. There's a sleeping area and a living area. We can stand up in it.

2. DH and I each have our own cots and air mattresses.

3. We invested in a really nice (small) propane grill and coleman camp stove.

4. We always stay at a campsite that has bathrooms and showers.

5. We have an easy-up screen house. It makes sitting out at night pretty comfortable.

6. I usually have a couple of glasses of adult beverage in the evening and take a benadryl before I go to bed.

Good luck to you.
These are excellent ideas. The bigger the tent, the better. I could never stand a tent I had to bend over in. Blech. We have a huge tent now, with three separate areas (two for sleeping, one for living) and I love it.
Make the tent as much like a hotel room as possible. Double air mattress that sits as high as a bed. Use some of those Rubbermaid drawers to create a bedside table (as a bonus, these work better for holding clothes than stupid duffle bags or suitcases which litter up the floor of the tent). Bring lamps, fans or a window a/c unit, an indoor-outdoor rug and create a "home" inside your tent.

You can do some of the same things outside. Use an easy-up. Put down an indoor-outdoor rug, bring a folding table to act as your kitchen, comfy camp chairs for relaxing. There's always a picnic table at campsites, reserve that for eating only. Use inexpensive tablecloths to cover the top and the seats. Heck, make it pretty. Use a small container and pick some flowers for a centerpiece. String Christmas lights around the easy up.

And you can only go up from there.

Of course, all of this is easier if:
a. you get a campsite with power and water.
b. you have a truck or minivan to haul all your stuff.

Good luck with your decision, OP. If it's just two nights, and you can borrow the necessary equipment to make it more homey, you might find it's not that bad after all.

Oh, and as others have said, a campground with clean public restroom and showers are a MUST. No way am I using a nasty public shower room or chemical toilets or the great outdoors for my bathroom needs. Heck to the NO!

Last edited by indimom; 05-03-2013 at 08:06 AM.
indimom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: