Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 03:14 PM   #1
almburr
DIS Veteran

Is this normal?

At mass this morning we were having 1st communion celebration. My family was sitting in front of us ant the next 3 pews in front of us were Mexican families. They had toddlers. As father was speaking, the toddlers got up and wondered around. Left their pews and proceeded to run around father. The parents did nothing, did not look at the spouse or even try to corral them. One altar server who is Mexican glared at the mothers, with a look that indicated get up and get YOUR kids. One dad did finally get up and try to get his. When father saw what was going on behind him, he stopped talking and turned to the three families. Spoke to them in Spanish telling them that they needed to take them out of church if they could not control them in the pew, and that there were toys in the church hall.

Then communion time came and father stepped forward to give communion the little kids were at it again, they ran around the altar, grabbed a hold of one of the big candles. The one Altar server got up grabbed one of them and gave her back to her parents.

I've noticed this a lot amongst this culture. When we have home basketball games. the parents sit in the top bleacher and never watch their kids. Our court is very small. so you time you walk along the sides with which way the teams are running. These little kids are sitting on the restraining lines, wondering on and off the court, throwing toys out there. Many times they have tripped at ref who was back peddling. ball players have jumped over them. Again the parents do nothing. it takes another person like the principle, other teachers and fans. to grab them from being trampled and hand them back to their parents. This also happens at school concerts and programs. on all the programs in both English and Spanish it states the all children must remain seated during the game unless with an adult, no running. My kids wait for time out to head to the bathroom or concession stand.

Is this normal for the Mexican culture? Not sure if I should say Hispanic because they refer to themselves as Mexican.
almburr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

May God have mercy on your post.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by almburr
At mass this morning we were having 1st communion celebration. My family was sitting in front of us ant the next 3 pews in front of us were Mexican families. They had toddlers. As father was speaking, the toddlers got up and wondered around. Left their pews and proceeded to run around father. The parents did nothing, did not look at the spouse or even try to corral them. One altar server who is Mexican glared at the mothers, with a look that indicated get up and get YOUR kids. One dad did finally get up and try to get his. When father saw what was going on behind him, he stopped talking and turned to the three families. Spoke to them in Spanish telling them that they needed to take them out of church if they could not control them in the pew, and that there were toys in the church hall.

Then communion time came and father stepped forward to give communion the little kids were at it again, they ran around the altar, grabbed a hold of one of the big candles. The one Altar server got up grabbed one of them and gave her back to her parents.

I've noticed this a lot amongst this culture. When we have home basketball games. the parents sit in the top bleacher and never watch their kids. Our court is very small. so you time you walk along the sides with which way the teams are running. These little kids are sitting on the restraining lines, wondering on and off the court, throwing toys out there. Many times they have tripped at ref who was back peddling. ball players have jumped over them. Again the parents do nothing. it takes another person like the principle, other teachers and fans. to grab them from being trampled and hand them back to their parents. This also happens at school concerts and programs. on all the programs in both English and Spanish it states the all children must remain seated during the game unless with an adult, no running. My kids wait for time out to head to the bathroom or concession stand.

Is this normal for the Mexican culture? Not sure if I should say Hispanic because they refer to themselves as Mexican.
This would totally not fly in our parish regardless of the nationality of the child. We have a cryroom, free baby sitting of kids ages 1 to 3, and childrens liturgy of the Word for ages 4 to 1st grade and encourage all families to use these ministries.

One of the strictest moms I know is of Mexican descent and she would have politely had a conversation with the family in the op in Spanish or English.

Although, we had an American baby cry throughout the whole mass today. Ay yi yi! Smh I really did hope fr. would say something to the mom. But he didn't. I will ask him about that one this week.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Amen.

Old 05-05-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
htmom
I am also afraid of those stupid biscuit cans

I don't think it is the Mexican culture, just bad parenting...
DS 12
DD 9
ds born June 2013
htmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #6
Wendy31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
Forever & forever, amen!

(DH) (me) (DD, 14years) (DS, 13 years) (DS, 5 years)
Wendy31 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmom View Post
I don't think it is the Mexican culture, just bad parenting...
Agreed. It has nothing to do with their race, nationality, ethnicity, etc.
It's bad parenting, plain and simple.
skylizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:46 PM   #8
LisaR

Those damn Mexicans. They are probably the reason kids aren't invited to weddings anymore!

This couldn't possibly just be bad parenting, could it?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #9
almburr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
This would totally not fly in our parish regardless of the nationality of the child. We have a cryroom, free baby sitting of kids ages 1 to 3, and childrens liturgy of the Word for ages 4 to 1st grade and encourage all families to use these ministries.

One of the strictest moms I know is of Mexican descent and she would have politely had a conversation with the family in the op in Spanish or English.

Although, we had an American baby cry throughout the whole mass today. Ay yi yi! Smh I really did hope fr. would say something to the mom. But he didn't. I will ask him about that one this week.
we don't have a cryroom or childrens lit. is all together.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
pigletgirl
You do have a life. It is just in cyber world
If its chocolate I'll eat it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by almburr View Post

It's first communion and your complaining about babies? Get over it! It's a day where families come together and celebrate. Im sure you could of attended another mass.

I've been BOO'ed by GoofyinToronto!
pigletgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:05 PM   #11
almburr
DIS Veteran

Maybe I need to add that these families are rather new here. A Hispanic mom who has been here for at least 15yrs gets on these new ones and tells them that you have to watch them and that you cant leave them (1yr and under) home while you go 10 miles to pick up your older kid. tells them that this is not Mexico. and that they need to be more American.

So that is why I asked, I wondered if it was normal for Mexican families to do this.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #12
Iforgetmypassword
"I am Mrs. Nesbit!!"

Quote:

Edited.
Iforgetmypassword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:07 PM   #13
almburr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletgirl View Post
It's first communion and your complaining about babies? Get over it! It's a day where families come together and celebrate. Im sure you could of attended another mass.
No we could not attend another mass because there wasn't one. I'm all for celebrating, but dancing around the altar, almost knocking down a candle stand. It was my sons communion also.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #14
almburr
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iforgetmypassword View Post
Edited.
Where was the racism? There were no derogatory remarks, no put downs, no ill names. It was a question on culture.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #15
abdmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I need to add that these families are rather new here. A Hispanic mom who has been here for at least 15yrs gets on these new ones and tells them that you have to watch them and that you cant leave them (1yr and under) home while you go 10 miles to pick up your older kid. tells them that this is not Mexico. and that they need to be more American.

So that is why I asked, I wondered if it was normal for Mexican families to do this.
You're going to need a long ladder to get out of that hole you're digging.
abdmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: