Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #46
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer
 
Laszkowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Doncaster, UK
Posts: 121

Thanks

Joolz and disneynut.

I will put a new plan up next few days but I feel it will be V busy. I'm sure we'll need to nap most days with what we've got to pack in.

On the car front I'm going to keep a close eye on some websites. I might leave the sat nav. I'm a really confident driver and am really good with a map.

I can go back to places I've only been once ages ago even without a map.my wife's always amazed. She can co pilot our trips.

I intent to drive round disney first week then venture further afield bit by bit.

Thanks for all your help so far. It's so appreciated.

Just need to convince my tight pockets to stretch to the MVMCP .
__________________
m
Laszkowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #47
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister
 
joolz1910's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 5,534

I have no sense of direction and I'm a terrible driver and I coped with a car.

You should definitely do MVMCP. Have a look at my trip report, there are a few pictures included.

Looking forward to your plans.
__________________
Juliette x
1997 Disneyland, California (offsite)
2005 DLRP (Santa Fe)
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #48
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor
 
NC Disney Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszkowicz View Post
Thanks

Joolz and disneynut.

I will put a new plan up next few days but I feel it will be V busy. I'm sure we'll need to nap most days with what we've got to pack in.

On the car front I'm going to keep a close eye on some websites. I might leave the sat nav. I'm a really confident driver and am really good with a map.

I can go back to places I've only been once ages ago even without a map.my wife's always amazed. She can co pilot our trips.

I intent to drive round disney first week then venture further afield bit by bit.

Thanks for all your help so far. It's so appreciated.

Just need to convince my tight pockets to stretch to the MVMCP .
Don't you have a smart phone? That should have a GPS on it so if you chose to save money and not get a GPS, you can still have that as a back up. I liked the thought of purchasing one through Amazon for a good price and bringing it with you. I'm telling you, it is so easy to hop on the wrong interstate because they come right up on you on Disney property.

What have you decided about dining? I am horrifed that people are telling you to go eat on ID. I found this website that lists all the restaurants on ID so you could check it out. http://www.internationaldriveorlando...oDo/dining.asp

But looking at the offerings, many are just chains that will be no better than Disney. Also, ID is a huge road with a ton of traffic. Part of Disney is staying on property and feeling like you are in another world! I swear, the whole time we are there, we never see the outside world-we don't see news, we don't see papers, we are lost in a world of magic! That is the magic of Disney. I would strongly suggest you look at the Disney restaurants unless you have a specific chain you really wanted to try (like UNO's chicago style pizza--love it).

I wanted to let you know that there is a Publix Supermarket near your resort. Once you get there, you can drive there to get snacks, waters etc so you don't have to fly with all of that. I personally go the first morning I am there just to walk around my favorite supermarket (a bit odd but I no longer live near one so it is a treat for me).

Another tip, even though it isn't very rainy when you go, buy cheap plastic camping ponchos to bring with you if the rain chances are higher. You will be glad you did.

Also, we have often used a pool at another resort if we have dining reservations there. It helps to break up the monotony of the pool situation. I have seen the pool at AOA and it is good but I would also check out Pop Century's pool which is right across the bridge. Same thing with their food court. We have even gone to other resorts just to each lunch in their quick service. Again, it is a way to expereince the other resorts for a short while and see where you might want to stay in the future.

I am glad to see you are putting a lot of thought into planning; it will make all of the difference for your family. BTW, I have to say kudos for being the plan master. My husband does nothing but show up (well, and drive). But then again, I kind of like being in charge--the thrill of planning and making the right choices for my family makes me happy!. Let me know if there is any way I can help.
__________________

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #49
darthtatty
Been There, Done That, Going Back!
 
darthtatty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Leicestershire UK
Posts: 3,013

Quote:
we have often used a pool at another resort if we have dining reservations there.
youre not meant to use the pools at different resorts, theyre for the guests of that hotel. Theres a chance you may be asked to leave if not staying at that hotel.
Just be prepared for it, if thats something you do.
__________________
Nicky.xx
May 2004 - Wedding@ Disneys Wedding Pavillion
May 2004 - Honeymoon @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
Feb 2005 - Sequoia Lodge @ Disneyland Paris
May 2009 - Holiday@ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
August 2011-Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort Trip report
March 2013-Perth Australia
August 2014- Holiday @ Disneys Contemporary Resort
darthtatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #50
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor
 
NC Disney Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthtatty View Post
youre not meant to use the pools at different resorts, theyre for the guests of that hotel. Theres a chance you may be asked to leave if not staying at that hotel.
Just be prepared for it, if thats something you do.
I knew I would get a comment on that. You definitely could in the deluxe resorts but the lesser ones don't really check. Especially having the Pop right across, I was just giving them an idea. We have done fine and do it always in conjunction with dining reservations.
__________________

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:05 PM   #51
Groovee
DIS Veteran
 
Groovee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Posts: 1,037

Sounds like you're doing well with everything. We love eating all around Orlando. We've often eaten on I Drive, Lake Buena Vista. There are so many places to eat. I've compiled a list of various restaurants of quick service/buffet/sit down big menu places for our next trip. Last trip Ds wouldn't eat in Disney at first, but we went to Golden Coral and he scoffed everything! If your child is going to eat, off course you will return.

Only 50 days til we go. Can't wait.
__________________

1998 WDW All Stars Sports
1999 DLRP Disneyland Castle Club
2001 WDW Port Orleans Riverside
2004 DLRP Hotel New York
2006 DLRP Disneyland Hotel (upgraded free by DLP)
2007 WDW POR
2013 June Westridge Villa
Groovee Does Orlando Blog
Groovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #52
klangkat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Disney Fan View Post
Don't you have a smart phone? That should have a GPS on it so if you chose to save money and not get a GPS, you can still have that as a back up. I liked the thought of purchasing one through Amazon for a good price and bringing it with you. I'm telling you, it is so easy to hop on the wrong interstate because they come right up on you on Disney property.
Visiting from the UK data charges can be enormous so that would have to be something the OP would have to factor in as to whether using a phone GPS would save money - most likely, it wouldn't.
__________________
Hi, I'm Kitty!



klangkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #53
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Manchester U.K
Posts: 1,292

Quote:
Originally Posted by klangkat View Post
Visiting from the UK data charges can be enormous so that would have to be something the OP would have to factor in as to whether using a phone GPS would save money - most likely, it wouldn't.
If only i had remembered to deactivate mine last year,O2 charged me £80
__________________

ChipnDaleRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #54
macca77
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 301

Ok will chuck my 2 pence in to help. Car hire is a definite IMO and don't book through virgin or Thomson. Best places I find are usrentacar. Carhire 3000 auto Europe or some others. Sign up for quidico as you can get cashback on some off the car hire places. I just booked my friends 4x4 for £245 for 2 weeks that includes all the insurance you need. Depending on how much luggage you are taking I'd imagine you will need a 4x4 plus they are amazing. Sat nav is very handy but sounds like your pretty good with the maps so your fine their at worst if you really struggle pick one up from Walmart as its cheap and you can use it for your 2nd trip. Food places so many from disney to idrive best food I've ever had though about 50lbs heavier every trip. Don't under estimate how tiring the days will be though the weather should be quite nice. The legs will be tired. First week with the jet lag maybe an idea to go the park early as you will be awake if guess 6am most mornings the. Go back to the hotel for a rest and recharge. Can then go back to the park later that evening or to a diffrent park. Check the park hrs out as you can get in early or stay later than non resort guests at some off the parks. Most off all try to take in as much as you can and enjoy it. This should be a magical holiday off a lifetime. Gl and we will all try to help you as much as we can.
macca77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:48 AM   #55
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer
 
Laszkowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Doncaster, UK
Posts: 121

Thank macca.

Will update thread tomorrow probably.
__________________
m
Laszkowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #56
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer
 
Laszkowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Doncaster, UK
Posts: 121

OK so we've updated the below.
Not trying to fill everyday and leaving plenty of space for change. Also pencilled in SW & US on NONE weekend days.

I expect we'll change some parks to fit with EMH and what evening show/fireworks we want to see.

Notes
Pretty sure MK & AK will be our fav's on Disney, can't not go to EP or HS but I think once we done the main rides we'll have done enough for us.
Universal - I expect we'll go 2 days
I'm sure we'll do water park BB or TL on one day.


30 oct
Land 16.40

31 oct
am - Taxi Contemp, ADR chef mickey 7.30am, MK
pm - MK
Collect car

1 nov
am - AK
pm- AK, ADR Rainforest Café 16.00pm

2 nov


3 nov


4 nov
SeaWorld


5 nov


6 nov
Universal

7 nov


8 nov
am - Epcot
pm - Blue man 19.00pm

9 nov
DC

10 nov
Busch

11 nov
am - HS
pm -

12 nov
am - MK
pm - MK, return car

13 nov
Flight home
__________________
m
Laszkowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #57
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor
 
NC Disney Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 295

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszkowicz View Post
OK so we've updated the below.
Not trying to fill everyday and leaving plenty of space for change. Also pencilled in SW & US on NONE weekend days.

I expect we'll change some parks to fit with EMH and what evening show/fireworks we want to see.

Notes
Pretty sure MK & AK will be our fav's on Disney, can't not go to EP or HS but I think once we done the main rides we'll have done enough for us.
Universal - I expect we'll go 2 days
I'm sure we'll do water park BB or TL on one day.


30 oct
Land 16.40

31 oct
am - Taxi Contemp, ADR chef mickey 7.30am, MK
pm - MK
Collect car

1 nov
am - AK
pm- AK, ADR Rainforest Café 16.00pm

2 nov


3 nov


4 nov
SeaWorld


5 nov


6 nov
Universal

7 nov


8 nov
am - Epcot
pm - Blue man 19.00pm

9 nov
DC

10 nov
Busch

11 nov
am - HS
pm -

12 nov
am - MK
pm - MK, return car

13 nov
Flight home
Looks like a good plan. Where are you staying? You mentioned a taxi on the first day. If you are on property or close by, your hotel will have transportation for free. For instance, if you are staying at AOA, you can take the bus to Magic Kingdom and then just hop on the monorail, right outside the gate, to the Contemporary. Just riding that is a thrill.

Also, I wanted to let you know that Hollywood Studios has something called Osborne family Christmas Lights. The link is here:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/ev...ancing-lights/

I am not sure it will be on yet but if so, it is awesome. The lights are spectacular and they make it snow every 15 minutes. It's crazy as you may be in shorts! I hope for your sake it will be going on. I am sure they will post the calendar soon.

One last helpful hint. I would think about making dining reservations for the parks you are in. Unless it is a signature restaurant or character dining, they do not require a credit card hold. Therefore, you will be penalized if you do not show up. However, it will assure that you will be able to dine where you want without having to wait or possibly not get a table. Keep an eye out for free dining offers either for Europe or US for that time period. If they ultimately offer it during that time (which is a good possibility), then getting a table is very hard!! You can do it online and it will help to make your vacation much smoother.
__________________

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #58
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things
 
wayneg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Dewsbury, UK
Posts: 23,213
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by klangkat View Post
Visiting from the UK data charges can be enormous so that would have to be something the OP would have to factor in as to whether using a phone GPS would save money - most likely, it wouldn't.
Allowing GPS doesn't use data on a smart phone. If you download an app with complete maps the phone does not need to have data connection. It uses the GPS which has no charge.
I have been testing Freenav this weekend, turned off Wifi & Mobile data (as I would in the US) and it worked great. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en

I will test the US version in August but not sure how much memory the maps will use, UK maps were 0.5GB.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...C5PU00uVVNBIl0.

Only downside I found was how fast it flattened my battery.
__________________
  • 1993Travelodge Maingate East,1997Holiday Inn Nikki Bird,1999Sheraton 4 Points/Clearwater Hilton, 2000(Xmas) Disney’s ASMo
  • 2001Travelodge Maingate East, 2002 NYC Crowne Plaza Times Sq./Orlando Sheraton World Resort 2003(Aug) La Quinta Lakeside
  • 2003(Oct) Disney Wonder +Raddison Parkway2004(Oct) Disney Magic + Homewood Suites, 2004(Xmas) Hilton DTD
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #59
chmurf
DIS Veteran
 
chmurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: near DLP, France
Posts: 2,417

@Wayneg : the maps are downloaded on a State by State basis. No need to get the whole USA package

Florida maps is 0.17Gb
__________________
Me (42) | DW (29) | DS (6)

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:16 PM   #60
klangkat
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneg View Post
Allowing GPS doesn't use data on a smart phone. If you download an app with complete maps the phone does not need to have data connection. It uses the GPS which has no charge.
I have been testing Freenav this weekend, turned off Wifi & Mobile data (as I would in the US) and it worked great. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....OSM.ALL&hl=en

I will test the US version in August but not sure how much memory the maps will use, UK maps were 0.5GB.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...C5PU00uVVNBIl0.

Only downside I found was how fast it flattened my battery.
Thanks for correcting me. I actually remembered about GPS apps after I posted and came in to correct myself.
__________________
Hi, I'm Kitty!



klangkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.