Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 07:57 AM   #1
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer

First timer - plan

Hi been reading here for a few months now.got some great tips and common pit falls to avoid thanks to you all.

I'm going to brave putting my plan up for feedback.
Please consider
DDs are 10, 7
Disney mad family MK will prob be our fav !
Blue man and DC swim are set in stone dates.
All other dates can shift.
No ADR booked yet. 180 is this weekend I think.
Want to watch wishes.

Cc welcome.

30 oct
Land 16.40

31 oct
ADR chef mickey breakfast not booked yet
Rope drop MK

1 nov
MK

2 nov
AK

3 nov
HS
Derby brown & fantasmic not booked yet

4 nov

5 nov
Epcot

6 nov
Sea world - got tickets

7 nov
Busch gardens - got tickets

8 nov
Chill out day
BB OR TL waterpark
Blue man 7pm - got tickets

9 nov

10 nov

11 nov
DC Dolphin swim - got tickets

12 nov

13 nov
Flight home
Old 05-02-2013, 08:11 AM   #2
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer

Ps

Staying AOA
no car
Don't want many ADRs happy to eat Idrive
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

I would book a 7am ADR for chef Mickeys if you want to get to rope drop. It's about a 10 minutes walk from the CR to MK.

Also if you are planning on eating offsite how are you thinking of getting there if you don't have a car? Eating offsite regularly without a car is going to be a PITA and taxis would wipe any potential savings.

There are some better CS choices at the resorts if you are interested in that.

July 2014 - OKWApr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #4
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

I was going to say the same thing, how are you going to eat on Idrive with no car?

I would personally fully recommend having a car. If you want to eat offsite you will probably save the cost of the car in cheaper meals.

Last edited by Minniesgal; 05-02-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszkowicz View Post
Ps

Staying AOA
no car
Don't want many ADRs happy to eat Idrive
We take a 9 night WDW trip every year staying onsite. We drive in but regardless, we use our car as the disney transprotation can be slow. However, seeing that you are going to Sea World and Busch Gardens (which is quite a drive away in Tampa), I would assume you HAVE to get a car. There is no other way to do it with those trip sand if you are wanting to eat off property. Nothing in Orlando or Florida is close so taxis would not even make sense.

Here is my tip. Most ADR's do not require any type of credit card deposit. As such, I would really review all the options and make some decisions on dining about restaurants that your family would like. In our house we print off menus, review and then make a plan. Book these restaurants for if Disney decides to offer free dining during that time (which they have done in the past), the restaurants will be completely full and have no walk ins available. I know Sci-Fi was like that last year in September. You don't want that!

Additionally, if you are staying on property you can take advantage of the extra magic hours. Since we don't get park hoppers, we look at the Disney calendar for the park hours looking for extended hours and decide which parks we will do based on that. That makes it easy to then decide what park we will be in which day. Thusly, making dining reservations becomes easy based on where we will be.

I want to let you know that my kids favorites are Sci-Fi diner at Hollywood Studios and Ohanas at the Polynesian Resort. They are incredible.

Anything else I can help you with, just ask. Having done this like your extended vacation for many years, I am an unofficial pro at it!! Also there are Disney 180 day counters. Check those out to calendar when you need to hop on reservations. Hope this helps.

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
NC Disney Fan
Live long Disney Lover and visitor

Ps

I saw you are doing Brown Derby. I have to say think about it. It takes 2 Dining Plan credits and from what I hear, is not really worth it. Like I said, Sci Fi will be a total winner for your kids. Fantasmic is a huge theater so you can get a seat no problem and from the arena, you can see everything well from any spot. You can always plan to get there a bit early. If Sci Fi doesn't have the package deal, i would still opt for Sci Fi over Brown Derby anyway!!! Great ambiance, great food and a unique expereince versus the overpriced Brown Derby. That's just my opinion for what it is worth.

Me (46), DH (50), DD (13), DD (11)
2007 All Star Movies,2008 All Star Movies, 2009 Pop Century, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Movies, 2012 Pop Century
2013 Port Orleans French Quarter 2014 Nov. [/I]Port Orleans French Quarter

1971-2000 30+ visits (as I was a FL resident)
NC Disney Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #7
duffdo
Mouseketeer

I will be there the same time as you!! .....your itinerary looks ok. I understand that with children you won't want to cram in too much! I would seriously recommend you get a car. Taxis are really expensive and you can hire a car for £225, cheaper if you only get it for a week. Staying on site means that around Disney you will be just fine, but if you plan to go off site, the local bus service is virtually non existent and I dread to think how much a taxi to Busch gardens would be! (Probably a weeks car hire!)
duffdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #8
chmurf
DIS Veteran

Well ... first of all, your planning gives me the feeling that your planning does not fit with the description of your trip.

You are staying onsite, whithout a car, and your planning *screams* "offsite with a car".

I'll just ask a few questions to see if you got everything covered

How will you go from AoA to Seaworld & DC ?
How will you go from AoA to Universal (for BMG) ?
Do you realise that going to eat on idrive will either cost a lot of money (taxi) or a lot of time (40min to 1hr each way door to door) if you use public transportation (Lynx)
Nearest offsite restaurants on crossroads will take you a lot of time to get to. Time to go to DTD bus stop, and then Lynx to crossroads, that's at least half an hour each way (probably on the 40 minutes side if you hit rush hour on hotel plaza blvd)

As PP suggested, it might really be worth it (and cheaper, and more flexible) to get a car.
It really seems that you're planning too much offsite activities for a strictly onsite (no car) stay.

On a side note, TL or BB on a Friday might not be the best idea crowd-wise. (even though on nov 8th there is a fairly high chance that only people from the "North" like us will be willing to freeze at a Water Park

feb-mar 2012 : POP
oct-nov 2012 : POP/CBR
oct-nov 2013 : AoA/POR
chmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer

Hi guys

Thanks
I knew it was a good idea to get some feedback. You can tell we're first timers.

The reason for eating off site more was menu's aren't so too our taste from what we've seen so far, and I guess we totally underestimate how far it is from disney to get off site.

This is so hard when you nothing to go on ! Grrr

Could get a car for one week n split our stay 1 week disney other week off site stuff.

We wanna do SW Universal, Busch and DC as they're already paid for.

I don't mind getting a car just a bit weary of hiring cars. Never drive abroad before. I'm confident but if someone hit us or something happened to the car I would be prepared.

We have virgin transfers so could get a car for last week or a middle portion of 7 days or so.

Could I book this when we get there, and would disney sort it or would I have to book direct with a hire Co.

I assume I'd pay parking charges at US,SW,BG,DC?
Old 05-02-2013, 01:17 PM   #10
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Quote:
Hi guys

The reason for eating off site more was menu's aren't so too our taste from what we've seen so far, and I guess we totally underestimate how far it is from disney to get off site.
WOW !!! with all those restaurants I am totally gobsmacked you are having problems finding places to eat ...... we usually have the exact opposite problem with too many places to eat and not enough days to eat at them

Now with my serious face on what type of food do you and your family like maybe we can point you in the right direction of some more onsite places to eat to save on all the time taken up going back and forth onsite to offsite and back to onsite

Last edited by Disneynutinlondon; 05-02-2013 at 01:27 PM.
Disneynutinlondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer

Great idea.

We can stay on site but saw a saving off site but with taxi fair or bus times I see its not a benefit.
But we've gotta try sizzlers lol

We're generally plain Janes.
Meat n 2 veg
Chicken dishs
Sandwiches
Wife likes pasta
Spag Bol

Kids generally kids usual nuggets, sausage, spaghetti Bol etc etc, with fries lol.

We've looked at a few menus but I must admit not lots.

Def wanna do chef mickey for experience and rainforest cafe CID we loved it in Paris.

Might have to be serious about a car !!
Old 05-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #12
Groovee
DIS Veteran

Your plans indicate a car is needed. There is a disney car hire place I think near the swan and dolphin.

My only concern with DC is if it gets cancelled you don't have many days to change it to. You may miss out completely if the weather turns.

1998 WDW All Stars Sports
1999 DLRP Disneyland Castle Club
2001 WDW Port Orleans Riverside
2004 DLRP Hotel New York
2006 DLRP Disneyland Hotel (upgraded free by DLP)
2007 WDW POR
2013 June Westridge Villa
Groovee Does Orlando Blog
Groovee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
Disneynutinlondon
It's been such a blast with all the lurkers and fluffing
I seem to be whitering on in a constant stream of random thoughts
I think I'll just go with the small one

Quote:
Great idea.

We can stay on site but saw a saving off site but with taxi fair or bus times I see its not a benefit.
But we've gotta try sizzlers lol

We're generally plain Janes.
Meat n 2 veg
Chicken dishs
Sandwiches
Wife likes pasta
Spag Bol

Kids generally kids usual nuggets, sausage, spaghetti Bol etc etc, with fries lol.

We've looked at a few menus but I must admit not lots.

Def wanna do chef mickey for experience and rainforest cafe CID we loved it in Paris.

Might have to be serious about a car !!
Ok well to start with the kids can order off the kids menu of which there is one at every restaurant. On the kids menus there is usually nuggets, pasta etc and the chefs at every restaurant will tailor dishes to your needs.

Pasta & Pizza
Tony's Town Square - Magic Kingdom
Via Napoli Ristorante e Pizzeria - Epcot
Tutto Italia Restaurant - Epcot

Burgers
Big River Grill - Boadwalk

Meat & 2 veg
The Rose & Crown pub - Epcot
Liberty Tree Tavern - Magic Kingdom
50's Prime Time Cafe - Disney Studios

Hot Dogs
Casey's Corner

Sandwiches
Earl of Sandwich - Downtown Disney

Chicken/Pizza/Pasta
Wolfgang Puck Express - Downtown Disney

This list should start you off and I'm sure others will add their tuppence worth
Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

Two good places to look at food menus and reviews is www.allears.net and www.disneyfoodblog.com .Sorry but have you already booked your hotel or are you still deciding,as I was just going to say if you stay at a Disney moderate hotel eg Port Orleans you could possibly get free disney dining.

ChipnDaleRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #15
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Hi been reading here for a few months now.got some great tips and common pit falls to avoid thanks to you all.

I'm going to brave putting my plan up for feedback.
Please consider
DDs are 10, 7
Disney mad family MK will prob be our fav !
Blue man and DC swim are set in stone dates.
All other dates can shift.
No ADR booked yet. 180 is this weekend I think.
Want to watch wishes.

Cc welcome.

30 oct
Land 16.40

31 oct
ADR chef mickey breakfast not booked yet
Rope drop MK

1 nov
MK

2 nov
AK

3 nov
HS
Derby brown & fantasmic not booked yet

4 nov

5 nov
Epcot

6 nov
Sea world - got tickets

7 nov
Busch gardens - got tickets

8 nov
Chill out day
BB OR TL waterpark
Blue man 7pm - got tickets

9 nov

10 nov

11 nov
DC Dolphin swim - got tickets

12 nov

13 nov
Flight home
You're going the same time as we are!!! We are 29th Oct - 12th Nov!!!

As pointed out above... make your ADR for Chef Mickey at 7am. You'll probably be up at the crack of dawn which is common with the jet lag, so make the most of it, eat early so you can walk over to MK for rope drop.

To do 4 days on the spin right at the start of the trip might require some thought. You will be jet lagged and unless you're planning very full days in the parks you won't cover everything.

Great point made above about eating off-site. Do you have a car? If not there is nothing to be gained by eating off-site.
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: