Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

Is there such thing as a decent NON-smartphone on ATT?

DD's phone is on its last leg. We were hoping to hold out for her birthday, but her current phone isn't going to live that long.

I asked her if she wanted to pay the $20/month to have a smartphone, and she does not. She definitely wants a phone with a QWERTY keyboard (and doesn't like the QWERTY on the Blackberrys). I've been reading reviews for days, and it doesn't seem like there is ANYTHING that gets better than 3 out of 5 stars, and the written reviews are all pretty awful.

Do you have a non-smartphone that you like? Please help me on this quest!

Thanks!
ElizK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #2
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I had an LG phone for about 3 years. QWERTY keyboard. It was great. My parents own the same phone going on 4 years and it works fine. I'll try to figure out the model but I don't think they sell it anymore.

But I have had pretty good luck with LG phones. We did hate our Samsung ones (non-smart).

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

In a word, no.

None of the "name" phone companies have made decent non smart phones for a couple years. When my 4-year-old Sony flip phone broke, the AT&T folks all said it was a far better phone than any of the non smart phones they currently carry.

We combined our plans with my parents and converted to iPhones and do data share. Our bill is about what it was before.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

I have the LG A340 from work and its bulletproof. I only use it for calls and to recieve texts (not send them) and it works wonderfully. Battery lasts forever and it gets signal even when my smart phone has signal issues.

Could you get a smart phone activated without the data plan on AT&T?
Old 05-02-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Are you under contract or is this pay as you go? If it's PAYG, you can buy a smartphone and just use it as a regular phone with wifi. Both DDs and DH have them and seem to like them ok.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
jel0511
DIS Veteran

With ATT, you can buy one of the Go phone, which are decent texting phones and put your sim card in it. If that doesn't work, just take it to any ATT store and they'll enter it in their computers. I've done that MANY times, when my kids lost or broke their phones.....
Cont 6/93 Poly 9/96 ASMo 8/00 DVC Member 6/01 VWL 8/01 Poly Concierge 12/01 GF RPC - YC - VWL 7/02 Disney Wonder 11/03/02 AKL Concierge-VWL 2/03 Poly-BCV 7/03 GF-BWV 7/04 Disney Magic 11/06/04 Grand Californian Concierge - Disney Magic 7/09/05 BWV - VWL 4/06 POP 08/06 SSR 11/06 SSR 3/07 AKV 3/08 BWV 12/08 HRH-Disney Magic 8/29/09 BLT 3/10 10 night Med Magic 8/18/10 AKV - Disney Dream 4/17/11 Alaskan Wonder 8/23/11 SSR - Disney Fantasy Inaugural Sailing 3/31/12 GCV - Aulani 7/12 VWL 3/13 Disney MAGICal Med to Venice 6/27/13 BWV 10/13 Disney Magic 1/2/14 GFV - OKW 4/14 Disney Magic 04/25/14 Art of Animation 11/14 SSR - Disney Dream 04/03/15 Magic in the Baltic July 10, 2015
jel0511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

My DS, DM and myself all have different LGs, and have been pretty happy with them. Like any other electronic or appliance, they don't seem to be made to last anymore....

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 11:36 AM   #8
LisaR

My son does not have a smartphone and we use ATT. It is a Go Phone. We actually have quite a few regular phones kicking around the house and we have all used them when one of our phones aren't working.

We have this one:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...id=mPSnMybGQz7

This one:
http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/dev...id=mPSnMybGQz7

And a Pantech that looks identical to the AT&T one above. I think we paid $30 tops for each of them and usually purchased them at Walmart. My son uses the Pantech and the AT&T one and he has never had any issues with them.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Do they carry the Samsung Intensity III? DD just got one, likes it so far. It was one of the free phones.
I have the Intensity II, great phone.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #10
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!

Thanks, y'all. I will look into the suggestions. I appreciate it!
Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I have a Pantech Ease. It has the slide out keyboard and I had them block data so it can never rack up charges.

The only thing I don't like is that it can't hold many text messages before I have to delete a bunch. I ~think~ it has a slot for a memory card which might solve that problem, but it has never bothered me enough to look at it.

I didn't buy it from ATT though. I bought it used off of EBAY.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #12
scrapquitler
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Do they carry the Samsung Intensity III? DD just got one, likes it so far. It was one of the free phones.
I have the Intensity II, great phone.
That's what my Mom & my DD have (though honestly I'm not sure if they are II or III's). They are both happy with them.
scrapquitler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:17 PM   #13
PirateFuzzball
Earning My Ears

To add. If you're not finding anything that feels like it's going to last more than a couple of months, you may want to go the used route and swap the SIM card. Since she wants a messaging phone, you don't need the latest HSPA+42 radio in there for voice and text. Check it out first before forking over money or you can take a chance with fleaBay.

Another option, as previously mentioned, is get a smartphone she likes and block the data at the plan level. If there is an available WiFi hotspot near her, she can connect to that for any data needs.
PirateFuzzball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #14
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFuzzball View Post
To add. If you're not finding anything that feels like it's going to last more than a couple of months, you may want to go the used route and swap the SIM card. Since she wants a messaging phone, you don't need the latest HSPA+42 radio in there for voice and text. Check it out first before forking over money or you can take a chance with fleaBay.

Another option, as previously mentioned, is get a smartphone she likes and block the data at the plan level. If there is an available WiFi hotspot near her, she can connect to that for any data needs.
My understanding is that if we get a smartphone, we're required to pay for the data plan. Is there a way around that? Also, I know for my iPhone, the SIM card is a different shape than for a basic phone... so how would we get around that?
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #15
DisneyFan32WI
Sometimes I just like to be plain and boring

Check out the Samsung Brightside. I have two teenage girls, and I bought this phone on Ebay for them at Christmas. They both love their phones. I didn't want to pay the outrageous prices at the store, and I didn't realize I could buy them new from Ebay and still use my Verizon plan! So easy, and it saved me a TON of money. I didn't want to upgrade to smart phones because of the data fee each month. If I did it for one teenager, I'd have to do it for the other as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Samsung-...item2a2bff2645

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: