Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 08:29 AM   #1
kerry34
DIS Veteran

Ponchos in the summer?

Do you recommend wearing them if it is really pouring or is it too hot? We are going in June for the first time. I most likely will not wear one, but I am asking on behalf of others in my group.
April 2008 Emerald Island Resort
April 2009-CSR
October 2010-Windsor Hills
April 2011-Mystic Dunes
June 2013-Terre Verde
kerry34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
LSchrow
We're eating brussel sprouts & asparagus on the budget board
(pulling up a chair) I like drunk & happy better...

if rain is torrential, absolutely.
it's no fun to have your clothing totally soaked, then going into an overly air-conditioned attraction, shop, or restaurant. much nicer to keep oneself and belongings at least semi-dry . just keep a plastic bag handy to put the wet poncho in.
however, i won't wear one in a light rain - often, the water feels refreshing and dries off quickly.

btw, i keep a shamwow in a zip-lock, in my bag (under the poncho) for our hair, etc. it's very useful after a ride on kali river rapids also.

side note: umbrellas are a nuisance and danger in parks. they really shouldn't be open if it's windy or crowded - both of which are likely. we seen quite a few ppl poked in the face with other's umbrellas, and a number of arguments b/c of them.

Last edited by LSchrow; 05-03-2013 at 09:02 AM.
LSchrow is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2013, 09:13 AM   #3
Reddy
Scrapbooker

I got them to have in the backpack - keeping camera dry the thing I worry the most about
after the rain - then they go back into the backpack so we usually don't wear them for long
Old 05-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #4
pieface
Mouseketeer

rain

If it is pouring wear them or you will be a drowned rat. When it pours it pours.
pieface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #5
got2sammies
DIS Veteran

Totally agree with everyone! We go usually late august and man... It pours for about 15-30 minutes and then boom! Sunshine... I would high reccomend bringing them.. The dollar store had them but they are really good for like one use..I just throw them away cuz I have more...Expect the normal late afternoon storms for sure.. Some storms might last longer than others.. Also keep in mind some parades and other things might be canceled because of thunderstorms (or even a threat) but dont let this bother your vacation (its for safety reasons) but they normally dont make the annoucement until last minute..
Old 05-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
dzneelvr
A Disney Dolly
Doesn't mind if her gnomes kick the bucket after a year!

Poncho is a MUST

I buy 2 per person at DollarTree (2/$1) and just pitch them all when packing up. Ponchos are the best tip you can listen to and I would never leave the room without them. Everyone can carry their own--they roll up to nothing--and make the difference between a nightmare and a wonderful time. Most of us have never been soaked to the skin and that is what happens during the summer rain in Florida. Don't overthink this
dzneelvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #7
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzneelvr View Post
I buy 2 per person at DollarTree (2/$1) and just pitch them all when packing up. Ponchos are the best tip you can listen to and I would never leave the room without them. Everyone can carry their own--they roll up to nothing--and make the difference between a nightmare and a wonderful time. Most of us have never been soaked to the skin and that is what happens during the summer rain in Florida. Don't overthink this
This is so true...our Dollar Tree ponchos saved many a day! While the Disney ponchos are sturdier, the cheapo ones are easier to stuff into a pocket or purse and you don't feel bad tossing them into the trash. We never leave our resort without them.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
kerry34
DIS Veteran

Thanks to all for the replies. I will indeed heed your advice and bring them along with the hope that afternoon showers won't turn to torrential downpours, but it is June so I won't get my hopes up too high!
April 2008 Emerald Island Resort
April 2009-CSR
October 2010-Windsor Hills
April 2011-Mystic Dunes
June 2013-Terre Verde
kerry34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #9
Dizisfun
Mouseketeer

I take several cheap ponchos and a shamwow. I usually buy 2 or 3 per person and then throw them away at the end of the day if we used them. The shamwow is good to have in your backpack to dry off benches or seats if they are wet before sitting down.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:53 PM   #10
ain0004
Mouseketeer

We bring our rain ponchos as well. While people were huddling under the over hangs, and running into stores. We walked along main street without a soul. Walked on many rides. Yes, I prefer disney with no rain, but sometimes its magic for crowd control
ain0004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #11
churchpilot
I never look back, Dahling, it distracts from the NOW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzneelvr View Post
We have always bought the 2/$1 ponchos at Dollar Tree. Just got back from there grabbing some extras for our May trip and they are now packaged as singles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh the horror!!!!!!!!!!!! Bought them anyway....
Old 05-07-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
amydeich
Mouseketeer

Where in the Dollar Tree are they? I've looked all over, and when I asked they said they didn't have anything like that! May need to try another Dollar Tree but just curious where in the store you found them!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
amydeich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 07:12 PM   #13
Dani C
DIS Veteran

If they are now being packaged as singles, it would be just as cost-effective to buy them at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. You can find them there in the camping/outdoor sports section.

Dani C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:08 PM   #14
capegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by amydeich View Post
Where in the Dollar Tree are they? I've looked all over, and when I asked they said they didn't have anything like that! May need to try another Dollar Tree but just curious where in the store you found them!! Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
At our Dollar Tree, I always find them in the 'sock' aisle.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
anorman
DIS Veteran

The dollar store ponchos lasted (for us) exactly one ride....don't waste your money even if it is only a dollar or two.....it's not worth it. Buy the ones at Disney/SeaWorld/Universal/Planet Hollywood! They are all of the same quality and we are on our 5th trip with the same ponchos. We have two from SeaWorld and two from Planet Hollywood as this is where we got caught when the rain started. The upside of having "non-Disney" ponchos is that our family is easier to pick out at Disney in the sea of Disney ponchos that appears when it rains.

My advice, wait till you get there and buy them when you get to the parks if and when you need them. Also, it couldn't hurt to carry flipflops (and a couple plastic bags) in your backpack for the Florida downpours......there's nothing worse having wet sneakers when you only have one pair with you!
off-site 1987, off-site 1991, Pop Century-Nov 2008, Pop Century-Aug 2009, POFQ-Aug 2010, POR/RPR-Aug 2011, Universal's RPR/Vacation Villa-Aug 2012, Vacation Villa-Aug 2013, 1D trip to Toronto/Niagara Falls-Aug 2014, Universal's RPR/Vacation Villa-Aug 2015
anorman is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: