Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 10:57 PM   #46
MonorailLime
Earning My Ears

MagicBands have BOTH active and passive technologies inside of them operating on 2.4GHz. The passive and active have different identifiers.
MonorailLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:13 AM   #47
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I don't think MrRomance was saying his instinct was that they were active/passive - but rather why.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 AM   #48
blondietink
DIS Veteran

What about people pacemakers, who are supposed to stay out of a magnetic field? Yes, they can opt out and get a card instead that is passive, but when they are in the proximity of all of those readers, which are supposed to be almost everywhere, they would be exposed to a magnetic field.
Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 AM   #49
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
What about people pacemakers, who are supposed to stay out of a magnetic field? Yes, they can opt out and get a card instead that is passive, but when they are in the proximity of all of those readers, which are supposed to be almost everywhere, they would be exposed to a magnetic field.
Are they warned to stay away from the readers at McDonalds and various other retail locations?

The magnetic fields given off are extremely small, which is why you practically need to contact them to work.

The FDA has done studies, and although the potential for interaction with pacemakers and other implantable devices does exist, there is no immediate concern nor have there been any reports of issues.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #50
Dopey420
DIS Veteran

If you are concerned about the privacy of your movements, spending habits, dining habits, etc. don't go to Disney!

LOL. It is simple as that.

I could care less if they know that I "lingered in front of a display" or something like that!

Soarin' is borin'

December 2013- Boardwalk Villas; October 2012- Saratoga Springs; October 2011- Saratoga Springs; December 2009- Saratoga Springs April 2009- Boardwalk Villas; October 2008- Boardwalk Villas; July 2008- Dolphin; December 2007- Animal Kingdom Lodge; April 2007- AllStar Music, Saratoga Springs, Pop Century; Oct 2006- AllStar Sports, BWV, POFQ; July 2005- Vero, Boardwalk Inn; Oct 2004- Contemporary Tower; Feb 2004- Coronado Springs; Dec 2003- Radisson Resort Parkway; Oct 2002- Best Western Lake Cecile; Apr 1994- Delta Resort
Dopey420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:38 PM   #51
daveyk
Mouseketeer

A couple of additional observations, if I may...

(a) the original concept of fastpass was to take people out of line, in an effort to tweak spending. The thinking was generally if you're not in line, you might shop or eat. It didn't quite work out that way, as guests essentially outsmarted it and "wait" in 2 lines at the same time (get a FP to space mountain, and go over to buzz while you wait for that window)...

Management reportedly hates this. But they won't get rid of it because its wildly popular, and its a good guest experience. But if there's an opportunity to enhance it, then there's an upside. So perhaps you will see a different FP experience - like FP+ where you pre-select, or kiosks that let you select where the FP will be (and makes recommendations), or maybe even that gives you some other options other than FP, like the ice cream idea.

and then (b) Disney has large amounts of data on what happens in the parks - but they don't have much on actual guest behavior, and while they count how many come and go through the gates, they don't know how long people spend in the parks (because there's no swipe to get out; only in), nor can they tie it to other things (even simple things like where you are staying).

Now they can aggregate that data. I would argue they don't care what individuals do (unless you're breaking "the rules"), and really just want to know what guest behavior looks like.

DVC guests are more likely to spend x hours, while AS guests are more likely to spend Y and park hop. ETC....
Old 05-21-2013, 07:48 PM   #52
Figment632
DIS Veteran

Who cares RFID is nothing special I have RFID lights in my house. Also the people worried about being tracked you are already tracked. There are cameras everywhere. All your purchases are already tracked as well.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:00 PM   #53
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

As an IT Executive, what bothers me is the new level this could go to. It's not about just know where you went and for how long, or which rides you went on, or what you bought in the hat shop. This will allow them to aggregate data to a highly precise level. I don't mind if they collect and aggregate it anonymously to understand their business. I would object to analyzing my family's specific habits, and storing that, and using it in future interactions. It's like when I get ad insertion on web pages relative to my recent activity... I would find that much more intrusive if it becomes apparent to me that they are using data collected about me in future interactions. And, most important, if they do anaylsis about my and store it, that data can be mis-used. Make no mistake about it, all data systems are full of way to mis-use their content.

BWV and OKW DVC since 1996, 40+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: