Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #31
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofkids

Thank you for condescending to educate me about what it is like to raise a "normal" child. Our son with the disabilities is not our only child; so, we are well aware of the difference. The level of adjustment in life goes way beyond that of typical child when you have a child with a disability.

Like I said in the last line of my post, there is more judgment (for using a GAC) on the disabilities forum than anywhere else. I am not advocating that people "abuse" the GAC. I am just saying that we shouldn't make people feel guilty for needing to use the GAC.

If Disney did not offer the GAC, we would not be able to go to WDW.

Many of the "only use the GAC when you absolutely have to" or "you don't need a GAC for just a few attractions" posts come off as if people are saying a person isn't disabled enough to use a GAC. We are supposed to be here to help each other, not judge each other.
I'm sorry if you thought I was being condescending. I didnt mean it that way. Sometimes we all need perspective and I meant to help. I was agreeing with you, BTW about the "not disabled enough" conversations, and even opened with saying so.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #32
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofkids View Post
I don't know about this. My whole life has been rearranged around my son's needs. Often we are unable to plan to make our own accommodations because that would interfere with other accommodations we have made. Does everything in life always have to be harder just because we have a child with a disability? Without a GAC we would probably only see 1/3 of the parks that the average, dis person sees. That doesn't seem like overuse to me. I think that if you need a GAC, Disney wants you to use it. Honestly, it isn't that much of an accommodation to begin with. We still have to give up lots of characters and it doesn't shorten waits at restaurants or anything. Why should people feel guilty about using a GAC? It isn't like they planned to be disabled or have a child with a disability.

People with disabilities work much harder than other people just to tour the park with a GAC. I am not dragging my son back and forth across the park to collect fastpasses or ruining his whole day just to make rope drop. We too use fastpasses when it is reasonable for us to do so, but the point of the GAC is to level the playing field for people with invisible disabilities. We give up a lot of things, and my son has had to adjust to the cruel way the world is the rest of the time. It is nice that Disney offers a way for us to enjoy our vacations like most other vacationers.

Seriously, I feel more guilt and judgment on the disabilities board than I do anywhere else on the board.

so very well said! i too have a handicap daughter 17 spina bifida, and in a wheelchair. It is so much harder for our special kids in the park. we have always waited in line for rides buses, dinner whatever just like everyone else until last year. my daughter has begun to get anxiety attacks while waitng in some lines due to the fact she sits down in the crowds and people and their kids are leaning on her chair, banging in to her and not to mention the kids basically staring right at her constantly. we will use our GAC when needed. Yes there are people who misuse it, just like people misuse the handicp parking. People somtimes just dont understand. Please everyone be understanding of our kids and their disabilities. they love the parks just as everyone else does.
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-06-2013, 07:01 AM   #33
geek+nerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskermit View Post

so very well said! i too have a handicap daughter 17 spina bifida, and in a wheelchair. It is so much harder for our special kids in the park. we have always waited in line for rides buses, dinner whatever just like everyone else until last year. my daughter has begun to get anxiety attacks while waitng in some lines due to the fact she sits down in the crowds and people and their kids are leaning on her chair, banging in to her and not to mention the kids basically staring right at her constantly. we will use our GAC when needed. Yes there are people who misuse it, just like people misuse the handicp parking. People somtimes just dont understand. Please everyone be understanding of our kids and their disabilities. they love the parks just as everyone else does.
I HATE how both adults and kids think that they can just lean on your chair. I had a woman yell at me last year when I politely said to her daughter, "Please don't lean on my chair." I wasn't rude at all to her, but the mother flipped out on me. I calmly explained to the mother that a chair or other mobility device is an extension of a person's body and as such should not be touched without permission. I'm sure that people wouldn't lean on a stranger's shoulder the way that some think they can lean on a chair. This all happened when we were leaving Fantasmic. We just stay put until the crowd thins some. This kid was practically draping herself over the back of my chair.

I definitely understand where some of your daughter's anxiety comes from. As for kids staring, I usually make eye contact and smile. The child will either smile back or look away because they were caught staring. If they still stare, I might say VERY politely, "Would you like to ask me a question?" Most kids stop at that point. Sometimes someone does ask a question, usually something like, "Why do you need a chair?" Or "Why are your legs like that?" My brief explanation is that the bones in my legs weren't formed like most people's which makes it difficult to walk. At this point most parents are mortified. Most days I don't mind questions. Kids are curious. Some days though the staring does bug me.

1987 Off-property; 2008 Off-property; June 2011 DFTW!!! POR & Off-property; December 2011 POP; June 2012 POP; June 2013 POP; December 2013 AoA
geek+nerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:10 AM   #34
mistysue
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mskermit View Post
my daughter has begun to get anxiety attacks while waitng in some lines due to the fact she sits down in the crowds and people and their kids are leaning on her chair, banging in to her and not to mention the kids basically staring right at her constantly.
When she still fit my daughter would stay in the stroller to get away from people and because she can't walk for too long. We found that people bumped into her less (and stopped trying to walk right over the stroller! ) when we put a rain cover over her. Obviously that can't be a constant thing, but even getting a netting sort of hides you out a bit if that's possible. Maybe you can get a similar effect with some sort of sun shade, it puts something up at eye level for other people and might make it seem like she has more of a defined space. Now that my daughter isn't in the stroller though she still gets upset because at Disney people will lean right on her or walk into her while she is just standing there.

I like vacations.
mistysue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #35
mskermit
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek+nerd View Post
I HATE how both adults and kids think that they can just lean on your chair. I had a woman yell at me last year when I politely said to her daughter, "Please don't lean on my chair." I wasn't rude at all to her, but the mother flipped out on me. I calmly explained to the mother that a chair or other mobility device is an extension of a person's body and as such should not be touched without permission. I'm sure that people wouldn't lean on a stranger's shoulder the way that some think they can lean on a chair. This all happened when we were leaving Fantasmic. We just stay put until the crowd thins some. This kid was practically draping herself over the back of my chair.

I definitely understand where some of your daughter's anxiety comes from. As for kids staring, I usually make eye contact and smile. The child will either smile back or look away because they were caught staring. If they still stare, I might say VERY politely, "Would you like to ask me a question?" Most kids stop at that point. Sometimes someone does ask a question, usually something like, "Why do you need a chair?" Or "Why are your legs like that?" My brief explanation is that the bones in my legs weren't formed like most people's which makes it difficult to walk. At this point most parents are mortified. Most days I don't mind questions. Kids are curious. Some days though the staring does bug me.
good answer. i used to always tell the kids my daughters legs are weak and thats why she wears the braces and has a chair. they say ok and go on their way. sometimes its more the adults than the kids. i feel so bad for my daughter when people stare she just puts her head down. its not an easy life for a teenager, breaks my heart
Caribbean Beach 08-12
POR Riverside 08-12
Art of Animation 08-13 & 03-14
Pop Century 9-14

mskermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #36
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofkids View Post
Many here on the disabilities board seem to have an attitude that is "use the GAC but only if there is no other possible way for you to tour the park". Seriously? That is like saying someone in a wheelchair should only use the wheelchair access for a sidewalk if they are unable to jump the curb with the chair. Yeah, it is possible for some, but extremely difficult.
I really think that the message we're trying to get across is "A GAC is not a cure-all" Many, many times, I've seen people post here about a problem they're having. They've heard of the GAC and want to know if they qualify. They may or may not need a GAC - none of us are qualified to know. But a GAC frequently isn't the best tool for the job. It's much more akin to "There's a curb-cut here, but there isn't another one for awhile and the sidewalk tends to be crowded. You might be better off just wheeling down Main Street."

I understand how useful a GAC can be. I usually have one. But it's not the best tool in my arsenal. On my last WDW trip I used it once. My last DL trip, I was more frustrated using it than not using it. Clearly, your mileage varies - but that doesn't make my experience any less accurate.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:38 PM   #37
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnball View Post
I really think that the message we're trying to get across is "A GAC is not a cure-all" Many, many times, I've seen people post here about a problem they're having. They've heard of the GAC and want to know if they qualify. They may or may not need a GAC - none of us are qualified to know. But a GAC frequently isn't the best tool for the job. It's much more akin to "There's a curb-cut here, but there isn't another one for awhile and the sidewalk tends to be crowded. You might be better off just wheeling down Main Street."

I understand how useful a GAC can be. I usually have one. But it's not the best tool in my arsenal. On my last WDW trip I used it once. My last DL trip, I was more frustrated using it than not using it. Clearly, your mileage varies - but that doesn't make my experience any less accurate.
This is very true, you still need to plan. That being said, a GAC can make things easier. At Disneyland, there are many times where I don't need to use it due to how the queues work when they are shorter. But at WDW, I often find that I need to use the GAC, even on the shorter wait times, due to how the queues work.

So, it is definitely a YMMV thing.
cmwade77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 AM   #38
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnball View Post

Well put -
Exactly what most of us are saying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
This is very true, you still need to plan. That being said, a GAC can make things easier. At Disneyland, there are many times where I don't need to use it due to how the queues work when they are shorter. But at WDW, I often find that I need to use the GAC, even on the shorter wait times, due to how the queues work.

So, it is definitely a YMMV thing.
Agree.

That's a good reason why it's important to know that using a GAC might possibly mean a shorter, the same or a longer wait. Expecting the wait to always be shorter doesn't give people the information they need to plan what would work best in their situation.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr

Last edited by SueM in MN; 05-08-2013 at 12:21 AM.
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #39
LoriZH
The GooGoo Dolls rock!!!!
No longer feuding with the McCoys!

Hi, I didn't read all the responses just some, here's my 2 cents

Your son has a debilitating condition whether it's temporary or permanent but it's real to him, therefore he would be entitled to the GAC and you would use it as needed. I don't see a single thing wrong with asking for one next time. As for that rude man behind you, oh boy, he's lucky he wasn't sitting behind my husband! yikes, how rude!

My son has Asperger's and a tethered spine, along with 2 extra bones in his feet that are only attached to tendons and he can't walk a long way (we're hoping he doesn't have to have his operation before our vacation, we'll find out June 17th). I also have my own disabilities, but that's another story. He has a gate in his walk so if he was sitting in the handicapped area, no one would know unless he was walking that he had a handicap. He doesn't want to be in a wheelchair at Disney and would rather just walk and rest, he's a 15 year old and doesn't like people treating him differently, but he's very aware of his pain and limitations. Again, if someone kept yapping about "handicap, handicap" while we were sitting there, I would be furious. Just because someone doesn't "look" handicapped enough for them, where do they get off shouting it out reminding the child that they're handicapped? Especially when this guy has a great seat himself.

I hope it didn't put a damper on your vacation, but by all means, please get your son a GAC next time so he doesn't have to listen to some rude adult call him out next time.

Been booed by Daninalismama, Thank you!
LoriZH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #40
deadheadmamma4
Mouseketeer

My son has a disorder called cvs (Cyclic vomiting syndrome) anxiety triggers it but sometime he has to run to the bathroom when he has to go he has to go ether throw up or IBS (on the potty for a long time) type situation this is our first trip to Disney I know this will be a high anxiety situation for him by the way he is 13 . Can he get a disability pass so he can get into the bathroom not have to wait in line he may not be able to wait .
deadheadmamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #41
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadheadmamma4 View Post
My son has a disorder called cvs (Cyclic vomiting syndrome) anxiety triggers it but sometime he has to run to the bathroom when he has to go he has to go ether throw up or IBS (on the potty for a long time) type situation this is our first trip to Disney I know this will be a high anxiety situation for him by the way he is 13 . Can he get a disability pass so he can get into the bathroom not have to wait in line he may not be able to wait .
He will still have to wait, it will just be in a different place, that will be easier for him to get out of to run to the bathroom. Others may say that this is not the case, let's just say that I know what I speak of on this one.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #42
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwade77 View Post
He will still have to wait, it will just be in a different place, that will be easier for him to get out of to run to the bathroom. Others may say that this is not the case, let's just say that I know what I speak of on this one.

Follow the link in my signature to the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Post 6 in that thread is all about Guest Assistance Cards and should be able to answer all your questions.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 05-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #43
deadheadmamma4
Mouseketeer

No not the line for rides the line for the bathroom Idon't care a bought lines for rides he usually will be in there for an hour so no need to save his spot we could ride twice by the time he gets out.
deadheadmamma4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #44
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadheadmamma4 View Post
No not the line for rides the line for the bathroom Idon't care a bought lines for rides he usually will be in there for an hour so no need to save his spot we could ride twice by the time he gets out.
There isn't any way to get faster access to the bathrooms - other than explaining quickly that you have an emergency and asking to go ahead.

Not sure if that's what you're asking or not.
What does he do in other public places? The same thing would work at Disney World.
The other thing would be to make sure he always has a park map with him. There are lots of bathrooms at WDW and thy are well marked on the maps.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:00 AM   #45
cmwade77
DIS Veteran

The men's rooms rarely have a line, so no need to worry there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: