Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #16
torinsmom
I have someone coming to scoop
I don't know how a man could wear them

Just take the kids bowling; don't book a "party". Then find a local Cicis or other place with a cheap pizza buffet and go there, then home for the marshmallow roast or do the pizza at your house as well. I would limit to 10 or less---16 is a bit much.
August 3-11, 2008--Pop Century Grand Gathering
July 6-13, 2009--Universal Studios
June 16-25 2010--Universal AND Disney for 10 days (Emerald Island)
August 10-20 2011--Universal and Disney(Indian Creek)
July 6-14 2012--Universal and Disney--doing YES again!
July 14-21 2013--Universal and Disney with family
torinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
Gracefulskinny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
I agree with the poster who said to set a budget and then tell you daughter what her options are within that budget.
I agree with this as well. She should be old enough to understand real world limitations that sometimes get thrown our way.

For the record, I was NEVER given free reign over the guest list at my birthday parties. I picked what I wanted to do and was then told how many could be invited.
Gracefulskinny is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 05:49 PM   #18
kate_wdw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliceacc View Post
She's at an age where girls (guys too) are sometimes self conscious about how they look in a bathing suit in front of their peers -- particularly the opposite gender.
I agree.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #19
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
Just take the kids bowling; don't book a "party". Then find a local Cicis or other place with a cheap pizza buffet and go there, then home for the marshmallow roast or do the pizza at your house as well. I would limit to 10 or less---16 is a bit much.

I was thinking the same thing.
When my ds was 7 we had a bowling party. It was around 18.00 per kid, but that only included an hour of bowling. After 60 minutes, the lanes were shut off....fine for little kids, but I think teens would like to finish their game! Then it off to the decorated party room for pizza.

I would just pay for the kids to bowl a game or 2.

Then have them back at the house for pizza and stuff.

For DS13's b-day he invited 16 boys are girls over. It was a Fri in October and they had pizza, hotdogs and marshmallows over the fire pit. They played ping pong...which turned into soda pong (what a sticky mess!) and everyone had a great time.
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:46 PM   #20
Poohforyou
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by torinsmom View Post
Exactly, 16 kids equals 4 lanes. The kids can play quite a few games for a reasonable amount and then have food at your place.
Poohforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:37 PM   #21
kacaju
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I can't imagine
girls being "done" with pool parties at age 13. Different strokes I guess, and different areas of the country.
Many girls are just getting their periods by 13 and are not up for using tampons just yet. So, yes, pool parties tend to fade out around this time. We have a pool in the backyard and I noticed this with my girls and their friends
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerGirl84 View Post
I didn't think most teens wanted a party "at" a place like a public pool, YMCA or bowling alley. If I remember from my middle school and high school days, a party would just be hanging out at someone's house...hopefully with no parents bugging us.

Bowling and swimming parties sound like parties for younger kids, but that's just my opinion. I personally wouldn't pay for that many kids to go bowling.
Agreed!

That said, swimming is really popular in South Florida. Heck, even the adults do it. We had a "party", for lack of a better word, last year where we had a BBQ, used the pool, etc.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #23
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post

Many girls are just getting their periods by 13 and are not up for using tampons just yet. So, yes, pool parties tend to fade out around this time. We have a pool in the backyard and I noticed this with my girls and their friends
For the OP, the kids are 14-16. That *might* make a difference in the ability to deal with a period and swimming.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:28 PM   #24
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Dd will be 15 her next birthday. her parties for the past few years have been 2 parts. A large group going to the local waterpark for the biggest part of the day and then coming back here for a bonfire and cookout and some girls staying the night.

The waterpark is the most expensive part but having the food and all at home cuts the cost.

Pool and swimming parties have not slowed down for teen girls here at all

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:35 AM   #25
teacherforhi
Pit Stop!
My cats allow me to sleep in the bed with them.

Am I the only one that thinks it's strange that the OP asked her daughter what she wanted, the daughter tells her, and mom completely discounts that and asks the DIS instead? I understand the financial aspects of the bowling and I agree with some others--give her a budget and help her figure out how to have the party she wants within that budget--not asking complete strangers if your daughter wants a pool party instead.

"If there's one thing you should know about bunnies...it's that they play to win."
teacherforhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 AM   #26
mhsjax
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacaju View Post
I know exactly what I am talking about, at least in my experience. My DD just turned 14, all of her friends have their periods,we have a pool as do a lot of her friends, Pool parties have not slowed down. Maybe with some it slows down, but not with all. Also these girls don't give a flying flip about being seen in a bathing suit in front of boys, they do it all the time. Again, maybe others do, but around here, it isn't given a second thought. They also go to the beach with boys, not a big deal at all.
mhsjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:53 AM   #27
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

If she said she wants to go bowling I am assuming she would rather go bowling.

FWIW I agree with PPs who said pool parties can be uncomfortable, especially for teens, not all teens but some (a lot if you don't live in an area where kids are always at the beach or pool anyway). And at that age I would have not wanted the planned party at the bowling alley rather just going bowling with my friends, leave and do pizza and a bonfire
DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:34 AM   #28
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=tink_n_pooh;48274980]If she said she wants to go bowling I am assuming she would rather go bowling.

FWIW I agree with PPs who said pool parties can be uncomfortable, especially for teens, not all teens but some (a lot if you don't live in an area where kids are always at the beach or pool anyway). And at that age I would have not wanted the planned party at the bowling alley rather just going bowling with my friends, leave and do pizza and a bonfire[/QUOTE]

This is what, I would think, the OP's dd wanted. When dd and her friends go to the waterpark--its not a planned party thing. Just a group of kids going like they do 2 or 3 times throughout the summer. Then they come to the house for cook-out, etc.

Old 05-02-2013, 09:52 AM   #29
CharliNye
Mouseketeer

When I was that age we didn't do big parties anymore.

Usually you MAYBE had five friends and went to a movie or out for pizza etc.

Having anything more then that seems indulgent. If it was a sweet 16 then ok, maybe something a bit bigger but still, back in the 80's we just wanted to hang out with our friends, the idea of a big party seemed weird.

I honestly think movies at home, ordering pizzas and letting the kids have fun seems better then spending a lot of money to take them out somewhere.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM   #30
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsjax View Post
I know exactly what I am talking about, at least in my experience. My DD just turned 14, all of her friends have their periods,we have a pool as do a lot of her friends, Pool parties have not slowed down. Maybe with some it slows down, but not with all. Also these girls don't give a flying flip about being seen in a bathing suit in front of boys, they do it all the time. Again, maybe others do, but around here, it isn't given a second thought. They also go to the beach with boys, not a big deal at all.
Its the same here. If they didn't want to be around boys with a suit on it would be a long, boring summer! Everything they do includes swimming of some sort.

DD's biology teacher is taking them all on a trip in two weeks to the coast and then out to an island. Every student will be in a bathing suit all day long. It would be a miserable trip for anyone that didn't want to wear one.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: