Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
goingtowdwwithkiddos
Mouseketeer

How much gift cards do you take??

so I am buying a few target cards I did not use them to pay for the trip (that is done) but plan to preorder photopass and bring some with us. We will be staying 8 days family of 5 ds 14 ds 10 dd 3 we do not have the dining plan but have reservations each day and plan a qs and a sit down each day. I have bbb scheduled so I figure that is easy to use gift cards...... now how much for food etc. I am thinking 1000 I figure we will likely spend 3-5 but do not want to have to only pay with gift cards and would prefer to use them all.
goingtowdwwithkiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
starry_solo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtowdwwithkiddos View Post
so I am buying a few target cards I did not use them to pay for the trip (that is done) but plan to preorder photopass and bring some with us. We will be staying 8 days family of 5 ds 14 ds 10 dd 3 we do not have the dining plan but have reservations each day and plan a qs and a sit down each day. I have bbb scheduled so I figure that is easy to use gift cards...... now how much for food etc. I am thinking 1000 I figure we will likely spend 3-5 but do not want to have to only pay with gift cards and would prefer to use them all.
Sit down is going to easily cost you $100 per trip (average of $20/pp), excluding gratuity. So I am sure you will use up the $1000 in gift cards. QS will cost $40-50 (depending on whether your kids are big eaters).

So, I'd plan for $150-175 per day for the 2 meals (1 QS, 1 Sit down). Not sure which restaurants you are looking at but you can look at allearsnet.com for their menus & prices.
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #3
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtowdwwithkiddos View Post
$1000 for 8 days for a family of 5 is a little low, in my estimate (even if one of those 5 people is only 3 years old). I would think that $150-$200 per day would be closer to what you're going to need for food for 5 people. This would be especially true if you plan to do character meals or table service every day.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
goingtowdwwithkiddos
Mouseketeer

Thank You
I know I will never feed us all for 1000, I am thinking easily 2000+ for food but is it better to have more gc ?? I am of course going to have a credit card and some cash. Anyone who has brought a pile of gift cards with you is it annoying to pay for dinners with them??
our restaurants are varied with Cinderella's prepaid, but chef mickey to trails end.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:52 PM   #5
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

Are you staying on property? If so just bring the gc to the desk and have them put on your room key, them charge to your room. That's what I do. Works every time

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
goingtowdwwithkiddos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomofDisneyLoversx3 View Post
Are you staying on property? If so just bring the gc to the desk and have them put on your room key, them charge to your room. That's what I do. Works every time
Oh perfect I wasn't sure if I could do that You made my day can I add them at the beginning?? Or once money has been charged only?? Also have you ever had extra? how is that handled?
Old 05-01-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
MomofDisneyLoversx3
DIS Veteran

I just hand them to the CM when I check in so I don't forget.

MomofDisneyLoversx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:12 PM   #8
luckygirl539
Mouseketeer

There was a thread on this awhile back. Disney does not like to do refunds. They recommend paying off your spending with gift cards every few days. I am not sure how much they will let you out on account ahead of time. But you would have to keep gift cards in case a refund does have to be given. All CMs seem to have different info too.
luckygirl539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #9
goingtowdwwithkiddos
Mouseketeer

ok I will make sure I do not overbuy but 1500 (new number) I think will easily be used and saving 5% plus having it paid ahead will be nice
Old 05-01-2013, 08:10 PM   #10
msmama
DIS Veteran

If this helps: My last trip was me, DS, ex-husband. 3 grandparents over the course of a week (but they never overlapped).

I had $400 in GC's and about the same in Rewards points from my disney visa so about $800. I think I spent maybe an additional $200. CRT was pre-payed and grandparents bought a few meals (the cheaper ones) and this counted many (not all) souveneirs, too.

I'd say $1500 is pretty close and you can always use the extra to buy other stuff. And I did put them on my room (not at check in) as a credit.

My advice is to look at your statement and make sure it makes sense. What the CM TOLD me made no sense (to her, it looked like 2 of the gc's only were charged partially) but when I actually looked at the print out, it was ok (the gc rang up funny because I'd already charged stuff to the room, so rather than looking like it was a 50 GC it looked like 2 different credits, one paying off the 20 is spent, the other as an actual credit).

Sorry if that was confusing.

msmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:29 PM   #11
goingtowdwwithkiddos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmama View Post
And I did put them on my room (not at check in) as a credit.
not at check in? just later during your stay then? Thank you for the pricing info my dd birthparents MAY come and if they do we will likely pay for the more expensive meals for them.............

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: