Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #16
PeterPanic
DIS Veteran

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkydog View Post
I agree with all of the above. I have used CPAP for the past 6 years. My mother and one sister have used CPAP for over 10 years. Speaking from my personal experience, CPAP has been a life saver. Prior to acquiring the machine I spent every night "flipping" over and over. I was exhausted all the time--I fell asleep at friends' houses, at movie theaters, in church, and behind the wheel. No matter how many hours I spent in bed, asleep, I never felt rested. That was because I have severe sleep apnea. The test revealed that I stopped breathing 70 times/ hour I was so tired because I was constantly waking myself up to breathe, although I had no memory of it.

CPAP was the best thing that ever happened to me. I use it every night. In fact, if I do not use CPAP I do not sleep, simple as that. It does take some getting used to . The first few weeks, I couldn't get through a whole night with it. But I figured even part of a night, was better than none at all. Eventually, I found that taking a little something to help me fall asleep also helped me tolerate the CPAP mask. Now I get good quality sleep and wake up rested every morning. I never feel sleepy during the day and I no longer fall asleep while driving or doing quite things.

Best of luck to your mom. Reassure her that CPAP isn't a horrible thing. Encourage her to keep trying to adjust to it and not give up too soon. It really IS worth the effort. People who have untreated sleep apnea have high risks of heart disease, stroke, and diabetes.
15 years now. Can't fall asleep lying down without it. My quality of life improved immeasurably once I started using it. It's a real life saver for me. I really believe that I would be dead by now if I hadn't gotten my CPAP machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPT Tripss View Post
Listen to Ruthiesmama!!! Except there isn't really any need to worry about a non CPAP nap.
If I dose off watching TV and I'm sitting up relatively straight, I can get some restful sleep and wake up slowly and normally, not gasping for air. But I don't believe it's the same for everyone. If my head falls backwards, I am awake quickly trying to get air.
PeterPanic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: