Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 12:24 PM   #1
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

Kids in Hot Tubs

I think I have to agree with Pette on this one. What is with kids in Hot Tubs. Personally I don't really care for them and I don't get why kids get excited about them.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
EastYorkDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #2
daneenm
Just call me Pollyanna ...everyone else does!
this is the first time we had tried it
The kitchen is not typically a likely option

We feel the same way as Pete. When our children were old enough to use the hot tub (NOT when they were toddlers), we always impressed on them it was a place to sit and chill. If they wanted to play, it was off to the pool with them.

We stayed at DLH once when parent had complained that the hot tub was too hot for their cherubs and the management turned down the heat so it was barely lukewarm the rest of our stay. I was really annoyed!
- DLH: 1999, 2008 (Concierge)
- GCH: 2004, 2006 (Concierge), 2009, 2011, 2012

WDW:
- YC Concierge: 7/23/07 - 8/2/07

Wish I could visit more....
daneenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 08:51 AM   #3
dana1003
DIS Veteran

IMO- hot tubs are not for kids 14 and under personally, i feel this is an adult"activity"- i have 9 year old girls and they have also asked me over and over and my answer is always no. it is a place for parents to unwind and chill. i cant stand being in a hot tub and then someone comes with their children and all they do is splash , try to swim etc. thats what the pool is for.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #4
Stitch_lover_Sith
So I want to weigh in on this discussion

There is a thread like this in the DVC boards. Hot tubs should be adult only. I avoid the hot tubs at hotels now because of all the kids.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:49 PM   #5
kgibbler20
Mouseketeer

At the camp ground I used to camp at the age was 17 for the hot tub and strictly enforced. I don't have kids but I would never take one in. Aside from the fact that it is a place to relax it also can't be good for children to be that hot and turning the temperature down to accommodate the kiddies shouldn't even be an option.
6/05 - First Trip 12/06 - Merry Christmas 11/07 - Mom's suprise!! & SSW October 23 - November 4, 2008 - 3 days at sea, 10 days on land... Halloween Here We Come!!3/09 & 7/09 - Short visits with a friend... 10/09 - finally became a resident now at least monthly visits

kgibbler20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:04 AM   #6
DisneyQueen1320
Mouseketeer

I agree kids should not be in the hot tub with adults. I only allowed my son to use the hot tub when he was 8 at the time, but it was empty and I advise him it's a place to relax. My oldest son acts a little older for his age, so he likes these things.

I think parents should use common sense.
DisneyQueen1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #7
pdarrah
It's nice to know you are real, too
It might have fallen off or something

I haven't finished listening to this week's podcast, so I'm not sure what was said - but the part that amazes me with kids in hot tubs is the lack of concern from parents about the possible germs/disease! Hot tubs are much harder to keep clean than pools - the hot temps are a breeding ground for bacteria and chlorine is less effective at high temps. If you want to be grossed out, try googling

I'm sure Disney maintains theirs well which helps, but one should never put their head underwater in a hot tub (germy water in your nose & ears is NOT a good idea!) Adults rarely do this, but kids playing in a spa, often do. You definitely do not want to swallow the water. Again, highly unlikely an adult will do this, but small kids playing in the water often accidentally swallow or breathe in water.

The higher temps can be a problem for little kids - their body mass is much smaller and it is harder for their bodies to regulate body temperature. Since the whole point is to be a HOT tub, turning down the temp to make is safer for children doesn't make a lot of sense.
We usually visit 2 times per year (spring & fall)
DCL: Magic cruises: Oct 04, Oct 05, Jan 07, Aug 08, Oct 10, Fantasy Nov 12

pdarrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Dian-er
Mouseketeer

hot tubs

germs are one thing, but there are other risks for kids: 1-pass out & drown in hot tubs as their circulatory systems are still immature & the heat from the water can cause their blood pressure drop. 2-they tend to go under water alot, & hair can get caught in the intake which can trap them under water.
Hot tub are not the place for kids at all.
Dian-er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
schoolbelle
Earning My Ears

I can see both sides of this. Last year at AKL someone's obnoxious child was doing cannonballs into the hot tub even after 3 adults told him to stop. Eventually the lifeguard dealt with him...mom and dad weren't even at the pool with him!

However, our son (6) has great behavior and loves to sit on the side with his feet in water and just chill. Usually he earns the praise of passers-by or other hot tubbers for his great behavior.

If we see a hot tub loaded up with adults we usually look for another or wait until the hot tub is empty again. I would never go back if I gave to much thought to other's bad/inconsiderate behavior at WDW (by both kids and adults).

schoolbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:36 AM   #10
momtoaaliyah
Earning My Ears

I agree that children should not be splashing and playing in a hot tub. I would not allow my daughter to do so, however as long as the kids are behaved in the hot tub i really don't see any harm in it.
momtoaaliyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
mad madam mim78
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtoaaliyah View Post
I agree that children should not be splashing and playing in a hot tub. I would not allow my daughter to do so, however as long as the kids are behaved in the hot tub i really don't see any harm in it.
mad madam mim78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

The more I learn about hot tubs, the more I wonder why people use them. Although now that I say that, I realize there is a real therapeutic value to them. I guess it is public hot tubs that bother me more than private ones.

I have a health issue that gets flared up when I go in a hot tub. Ive had multiple doctors tell me that the heat, high chlorine concentration, and bacteria make the condition worse and to stay out. The most I will do sit on the side (on a towel so I'm not sitting in a wet spot) with my feet in.

I'm not planning to let my kids get in until at least 12. Before that age they don't really understand their body's limits and the signs if getting overheated. And there is too much temptation to put their head under, and I do not want them getting that water in their mouths, ears, or nose.

I will reevaluate as the kids get older. But my kids will definitely not be allowed to disrupt other adults who are peacefully enjoying the hot tub.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I haven't listened to the show yet but I know my kids loved to just sit and relax in a hot tub when they were younger. Now they don't care for them and they are teens.

I used to like hanging out in the hot tubs until I started reading about them. Now the only way I'll go into a public hot tub is if I messed up my back and need the warmth to help it.

After reading about hot tubs, I don't believe young kids should be using the hot tubs at all. If I knew the info I know now back when my kids were little, no way would my little kids have been in them. They should be for adults only.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 8 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR, WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (5) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #14
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch_lover_Sith View Post
There is a thread like this in the DVC boards. Hot tubs should be adult only. I avoid the hot tubs at hotels now because of all the kids.
Same here actually.
Old 05-12-2013, 12:55 PM   #15
DisneyKentucky
DIS Veteran

Location: Bowling Green, Ky. about 45 mins from Nashville, Tn.

I don't go into public hot tubs. Not because of what kids do but what adults do.
DisneyWorld- Sept. 2010, April 2011, Dec. 2011, Dec. 2012, Oct-Nov 2013, January 2013 ran the Half Marathon at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2014 and May/June 2014 Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour event and 2 weekends of Star Wars Weekends!
End of July/ Beginning of Aug 2014 for Frozen Summer and quick 6 day trip.

Upcoming Planned:
DisneyKentucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: