Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2013, 12:06 AM   #1
TARAMEOW
Mouseketeer

Would you upgrade the dining plan?

We are just two adults going in September we are staying at a value for 12 nights. If we get free dining we can upgrade to the regular DDP for 432$. So far we have ADRs

dinner TRex
dinner Chef mickeys
Lunch Sanaa
Lunch 50s
Dinner Sci fi
Dinner Akershus

And we can still make 6 more ADRs if we upgrade. Can you help me make sense of the numbers? Not sure what's best to do.

TARAMEOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:29 AM   #2
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

Personally I think 6 days of 2 TS per day might put me off food for life!

i wouldn't upgrade for the meals you were planning the regular dining plan is fine for those. For me the only reason to upgrade would be to eat at signatures.
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #3
navywifetill2002
Mouseketeer

How will you eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TARAMEOW View Post
We are just two adults going in September we are staying at a value for 12 nights. If we get free dining we can upgrade to the regular DDP for 432$. So far we have ADRs

dinner TRex
dinner Chef mickeys
Lunch Sanaa
Lunch 50s
Dinner Sci fi
Dinner Akershus

And we can still make 6 more ADRs if we upgrade. Can you help me make sense of the numbers? Not sure what's best to do.
Akershus will cost you about $90, and Chef Mickey's about $70 so you're fast approaching the upgrade cost with just 2 of your 6 meals and adding 6 more would just increase your value. What will you eat at the other places? Will you want a meal, drink, dessert each place or would you be happy with just an appetizer? Usually it seems the upgrade is worth it if you're going to eat big or just don't want to worry about what the cost is at each meal.

We upgraded last year and did character meals for all our TS so we really got our $$$ worth on the upgrade. This year if I can talk some friends into a girls trip we'll stick with the QS and maybe just do 1 TS out of pocket, that way we'd still have our 2 QS each day.
navywifetill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
navywifetill2002
Mouseketeer

Free QSDP at Values

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minniesgal View Post
Personally I think 6 days of 2 TS per day might put me off food for life!

i wouldn't upgrade for the meals you were planning the regular dining plan is fine for those. For me the only reason to upgrade would be to eat at signatures.
The upgrade would only be to DDP which is 1 TS and 1 QS each day. The Free Dining for the Values is just QSDP and it's $18 per night to upgrade to the standard plan.
navywifetill2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
3PrinceMom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by navywifetill2002 View Post
The upgrade would only be to DDP which is 1 TS and 1 QS each day. The Free Dining for the Values is just QSDP and it's $18 per night to upgrade to the standard plan.

Totally worth it to me. I have always upgraded from QSDP to DDP (not deluxe) when at a value resort. I can only do quick service so much! Any trip over 4 days...table service is a must! IMO, it's worth it! Although, it's a tactic to suck you in more, lol. I'm now AP holder....and prefer the TIW discount and room discount over free dining.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:35 AM   #6
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Yes, I would upgrade. I'm not a big fan of the dining plan, since it's too much food for us personally. However you're there for 12 days and 2 meals already is going to set you back more than 1/3 of your DDP.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:39 AM   #7
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

The method to assess the dollar value is to look at the menus for the restaurants you will make ADR's for and look at the prices for the things you would order. Add up those costs and compare it to the cost of upgrading to the DDP. The menus are available here on the DIS and also at allearsnet.com
Personally I would upgrade.
Have Fun
Old 04-29-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
minnierocks
DIS Veteran

For us...absolutely! We look forward to having a sit down meal every evening. It is our time to decompress and enjoy dinner. We love the dining plan and miss it when we don't have it. Others do not like the schedule of having to sit down to dinner every night, so this is going to depend on your touring style. I do agree that it is a lot of food! We generally do not eat all the lunch desserts and we always find that we are using snack credits at the end of the week for snacks to take on the way home. But we love the convenience of how it works and the fact that we don't need to "eat cheap". We can make reservations for wherever we want and never look at menu prices.
I have considered going with the QSDP, but I like eating better food for dinner and being served. I think by the end of the week, I would be tired of only eating quick service.
Spring Break Trip 2011
Thanksgiving 2008
Thanksgiving 2007
*October 2006...Keys to the Kingdom
Keys to the Kingdom TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7&page=1&pp=15

*Thanksgiving 2005
*February 2004
minnierocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
Jonathan Swift
I'm being sarcastic...or am I?

Quote:
We are just two adults going in September we are staying at a value for 12 nights. If we get free dining we can upgrade to the regular DDP for 432$.
Just curious, if you DON'T take advantage of the free dining, can you get your rooms for cheaper? Are you working with a travel agent or doing this on your own?
Jonathan Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #10
faindrops27
I love free DDP but love going on cruises too! My favorite cruiseline is RCCL. But will be sailing NCL for the first time Breakaway 13'

The places you have listed will set you back the price of upgrade so yes! We always get the regular dining plan.

faindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
faindrops27
I love free DDP but love going on cruises too! My favorite cruiseline is RCCL. But will be sailing NCL for the first time Breakaway 13'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
Yes, I would upgrade. I'm not a big fan of the dining plan, since it's too much food for us personally. However you're there for 12 days and 2 meals already is going to set you back more than 1/3 of your DDP.
I never understood this, to much food statement. I am curious what exactly makes it to much food? At home, we eat 3 meals per day with a snack in between. Is it the dessert at lunch? I usually skip the dessert all together or get a fruit cup if a sweet snack is needed. We always for the most part sans a dole whip or two. Accumulate our snack credits to take home..

We usually eat a cereal bar (from home) while getting dressed 7 a.m.
A counter service lunch w/out dessert. 10:30 a.m. (to beat lunch crowds.)
A sit down dinner at 5:00 - 6:00 p.m.

faindrops27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #12
poohbear13
Yoda, Jedi Master

if it was me, yes, i would upgrade. you can find lots of good QS meals, but we like to have at least one table service meal each day of our trip.

2006 Aug.~ CBR 2009 July ~ CBR 2011 July~ POR
2011 Dec. ~ POR 2012 Dec. ~ CSR
2013 Nov. ~ CBR 2015 Jan. ~ POR

poohbear13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:41 PM   #13
belle912
Mouseketeer

For the upgrade price it will be well worth it! The places you have listed already will pretty much take care of the upgrade. When you add in QS breakfasts and the added lunch/dinner reservations for TS you will be ahead in the end and still have some wonderful meals. I think the excellent TS is part of the overall Disney experience. It wouldn't be the same for me if we weren't eating some great meals!! You can always add the snack credits up and used them before you leave and take them as gifts or just to brighten up your day with disney munchies for the ride home!
belle912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:23 PM   #14
Nohal
DIS Veteran

We are going in September staying in a value and booked bounceback last year so we already have the QSDP for free. We will definately upgrade as soon as they announce free dining. I have called twice to upgrade my plan but both times the CM's were quoting me the entire price for the DDP instead of the upgrade. Seems they couldn't find a free dining code to apply it to. So I figured I would wait until free dining is announced and then call. To me it is worth the $18 a day for a sit down dinner. I look at it this way, first it would cost me more than $18 for a full day of food and second I am on vacation so I plan on enjoying myself.
Nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:53 PM   #15
cwt580
DIS Veteran

Quote:

dinner TRex
dinner Chef mickeys
Lunch Sanaa
Lunch 50s
Dinner Sci fi
Dinner Akershus

not totally sure if OP realizes value free plan is QXDP NO TS included. definitely upgrade to at least reg DDP. those meals you have picked are not on the QXDP that comes free if free dining is offered. WE do the DXDP cause we want whatever we want........

cwt580 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: