Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM   #1
missdorado26
Mouseketeer

Best kid attractions at animal kingdom

We are going to Disney for the first time in sept. and we are going to take advantage of the extra magic hours. We are not a "big" ride kind of family. I don't like roller coasters or scary rides. What are good attractions we can do with 2 kids 2 and 8?
missdorado26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
G719
Mouseketeer

Ride the safari to see the animals. See the finding nemo show, ride triceratop spin in Dino land, play in the boneyard, see the lion king show, ride the train. Depending on your kids maybe see its tough to be a bug. We skipped it as one of my kids freaks out about flying insects. Maybe tour the trails to view the animals if it isn't too hot. We enjoyed animal kingdom. Have fun!
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
KPetty725
DIS Veteran

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Festival of the Lion King (show) and definitely take the train. Walking through the animal exhibits, especially if its really early whe the animals have just been let out is awesome too!

KPetty725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

I would definitely check out the Flights of Wonder show, it is about birds and is very entertaining and excellent for all ages.
We usually hit the safari ride early, but have heard the animals can get very active towards the end of the day or when it is raining.
We are not big ride people but LOVE the rapids ride, but there is a very good chance you will get soaked.
I can imagine the It's Tough to be a Bug movie would be a bit much for kids......I don't want to divulge the ending, but it gets it gets very dark and is interactive with the audience. The first time we saw it, it took me aback.
It is also cool to walk around the tree and see all the different animals carved into it.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
katt789
DIS Veteran

I have to say dont miss Festival of the Lion King!! My personal favorfe show on property!! Its got an amazing level of talent in it!

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 AM   #6
Nana2Callie
DIS Veteran

Where is the train? I don't remembering seeing it in the past.
Nana2Callie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
G719
Mouseketeer

The train is in Africa. Go to the right from the safari.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:00 AM   #8
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer

There are CMs located here and there around animal exhibits to point out interesting things and answer questions. As you go, you will also come across few stations where CMs have discovery exhibits for kids. The parade is cheerful, too.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 AM   #9
hooch11bear
Mouseketeer

You have gotten some great advice. I would also suggest to leave some time open for the Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade. You could grab something cold to eat or drink and relax for a little while. The Flights of Wonder show is really fun and so is the Finding Nemo show. I would leave time for these as well. I'm not sure if you are interested in getting autographs from the characters, but there are quite a few to meet throughout the park.
hooch11bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #10
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by G719 View Post
The train is in Africa. Go to the right from the safari.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 AM   #11
Faithful_Tink
Mouseketeer

We hit Kilimanjaro Safari first thing.

Pangani Forest Exploration Trail - Our favorite stops are the hippo pool where we've seen 2 hippos playing and diving, swimming right by the windows and the gorilla viewing area where, in January, we watched a baby gorilla playing.

Wildlife Express (train) to Conservation Station - We've caught a couple medical procedures and always enjoy the hands-on Q&A session (we've pet and learned a lot about snakes, baby alligators, and more).

Kali River Rapids - I wouldn't consider this a 'big' ride. My 6 year old doesn't enjoy thrill rides and loves Kali.

Nemo - We've only seen this once and my kids were not fans. They could hardly see since it's stadium style bench seating and what they did see didn't excite them much, BUT many people like this show so it's worth a look.

Triceratop Spin

The Boneyard - We've spent hours here playing and digging.

Festival of the Lion King - Best show on property in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #12
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Definitely plan to spend AT LEAST 30 minutes in the boneyard. Your 8 year old will absolutely love it, and your 2 year old will have a blast too. I also agree with Festival of the Lion King and Flights of Wonder. If you take the train to Rafiki's Planet watch, there are these little sound booths where you can go in and put on ear phones. I freak out everytime I hear all the bugs and my husband laughs at me. It might be a cool way for your 8 year old to get a thrill without having to ride a 'thrill ride'. There is also a petting area full of goats and sheep and some animal encounters out there too. Last time we were there they had a ferret out and about.

Beware they also had a table with buckets full of crayons, my son spent over 45 minutes playing with the crayons while ignoring the awesome ferret!

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: