Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
v.t.
DIS Veteran

Popcorn bar suggestions

We are planning a popcorn bar. What items should we buy and how do we decide the amount of goodies to buy? We are talking 250 kids so we will have to limit what they take. But I need a starting point.

Thanks!
Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM   #2
Nina1
Disney Lover

Do you mean like a candy bar? If so, how about m&m's and gummy bears to mix in the popcorn? Also, Kernel Season's popcorn seasonings are yummy. They have many different flavors. We sprinkle these on air popped popcorn. The Ranch flavor is our favorite. They also have nacho cheese, sour cream and onion, kettle corn and chocolate. There may be other flavors, but these are the ones I have seen. The only thing is, the seasonings work best with something to stick to. I spritz our popcorn with olive oil, but I don't know if that will work for you.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
tink_n_pooh
my TP isn't going anywhere. I can start the TP underground, anyone who is interested just let me know
I'm happy my underwear are clean

I have never even heard of a popcorn bar before so I am interested in the responses

DD (2014)
tink_n_pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
LuLuO
I am against mandatory fun

Google 'popcorn recipes' and a ton pop up. Google 'popcorn bar for kids' and look at the images. Neat stuff there too.

If you don't want them sticking their hands in the popcorn, I'd make cones out of sheets of paper and put the popcorn in there.
"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of disaster, I remember my mother’s words, and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers–so many caring people in this world." - Fred Rogers
LuLuO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
funkymom
Earning My Ears

That's a lot of kids! Wow!
This is what I would do:

-choose 3-5 types of popcorn; savory, sweet, simple. I'd do two sweet and two savory since the kids would probably choose those most often.

- decide on popcorn receptacle..that will help determine how much for each kid(chinese take out boxes would work great! you can get these at any resturant supply store).

There are a ton of recipes on the web. My favorite caramel popcorn recipe is from ourbestbitesdotcom(not sure if I can link it directly). Also check out pinterest and do a search for popcorn bars.

Good Luck!
Disneyland '82, '92, '93, '10, '12, '13
funkymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Eureka
DIS Veteran

It would be time consuming but if you want to limit the amount of candy etc they take, what about pre-packaging it into mini-muffin liners before putting it out?
Eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
holden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eureka View Post
It would be time consuming but if you want to limit the amount of candy etc they take, what about pre-packaging it into mini-muffin liners before putting it out?
I second this...or at least putting it in mini snack bags. I wouldn't let my kid dip his/her hands into various bowls of popcorn where everyone else's hands have been
DD - 7
holden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:52 PM   #8
squirrel
DIS Veteran

How about paper lunch bags for each guest and then use measuring cup to put the popcorn in.

Then they move down the line adding whatever toppings they want and then the bag can be shaken to mix.

A friend and I tried a bunch of different toppings one night and we decided that chocolate peanut butter popcorn is the best.
WDW (Pop) Sept. 5-19 2008 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Oct. 1-15 2009 Free Dining
WDW (Pop) Sept. 30-Oct. 14 2010 Free Dining
WDW (Pop-BC) Sept. 29-Oct. 13 2011 Free Dining
Wonder and DLR (BWPPI) Sept. 10-20 2012
Wonder and DLR (DI&S) Sept. 9-21 2013
squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:30 AM   #9
shortbun
Peacenik

Sounds really good but messy. grated parmesan.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:02 AM   #10
pocomom
Brr.....

I second the thoughts on prepackaging. It will save you on quantity and cleanup- My kids would devour a bowl of M+M's on their own if they had free access
For one party we had I took regular brown paper bags and hole punch with a cute punch about an inch from the top and then weaved ribbon through all around. Super cheap and cute as I had everything on hand except the paper bags which are economical even in your quantity.If you have time you may be able to find/order some colored bags for not too much more.
Another idea would be to premix big bowls with different combinations and not have them do the expensive toppings on their own. One could be popcorn, m+m's, nuts- another caramel corn, cheesy popcorn, as many as you want to have. Of course if it is a school/church/activity function you may have to consider allergies. Have ladles for the kids to scoop out the mix they want into the containers. Popcorn does get everywhere so I would just be prepared for a cleanup after!
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #11
ktate82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuLuO View Post
Google 'popcorn recipes' and a ton pop up. Google 'popcorn bar for kids' and look at the images. Neat stuff there too.

If you don't want them sticking their hands in the popcorn, I'd make cones out of sheets of paper and put the popcorn in there.
Good Pun!
June 2014 SWW at OKW, Feb 2014 Disney Magic, Sept 2013 AKL, May 2013 POP, Dec 2012 AOA, Sept 2012 POP, Sept 2011 Poly, March 2011 Poly, Sept 2010 CBR, July 1995 off site (MK only), Aug 1987 off site (MK only)

ktate82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: