Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #1
cab0ad
DIS Veteran

charging priviledges on your room key

If you attach a credit card to your room key to charge things to your room, can you make it to where you have to enter a pincode for it to be used? I love the idea of the convenience but worry what would happen if I accidentally lost my room key and someone else found it. Also, does pretty much everywhere let you charge to your room? restraunts and stores? even in Downtown Disney? I'm thinking of Goofy's candy company and the quick service restraunt downtown that is attached to Raglan Road (I forgot the name of it...the one with the doh bars and meat pies). Or what about wolfgang puck's counter service place? ice cream carts in the park? quick service restraunts around epcot's world showcase? I just don't know the rules on "non-Disney" owned places.

also, as long as you go up the night before you check out you can pay the balance off with gift cards or cash and it will not be charged to your credit card, right?

cab0ad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post
If you attach a credit card to your room key to charge things to your room, can you make it to where you have to enter a pincode for it to be used? I love the idea of the convenience but worry what would happen if I accidentally lost my room key and someone else found it. Also, does pretty much everywhere let you charge to your room? restraunts and stores? even in Downtown Disney? I'm thinking of Goofy's candy company and the quick service restraunt downtown that is attached to Raglan Road (I forgot the name of it...the one with the doh bars and meat pies). Or what about wolfgang puck's counter service place? ice cream carts in the park? quick service restraunts around epcot's world showcase? I just don't know the rules on "non-Disney" owned places.

also, as long as you go up the night before you check out you can pay the balance off with gift cards or cash and it will not be charged to your credit card, right?
When we stayed at the GF this past February we all had to set up a PIN code for our KTTW cards. I haven't checked every store at DTD, but I have never had a problem charging there or at any venue in the parks. You can go to the front desk at any time to pay on/off your account balance. However, your account will have a maximum allowable charge amount, and if you hit that they will charge your card. I believe each resort category (value, mod, deluxe) sets a different maximum amount. I'm not sure exactly what those amounts are, but I'm pretty sure it is $1500 at the deluxes. They do not put a hold on your credit card account when you check in.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013 / November, 2014
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
outahere is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 09:11 AM   #3
DisneyDmbNut

When You Wish Upon A Star...
WL Vet

They do have Pin #'s now. I set mine up on the My Disney Experience check in.

I also have, in the past, brought gift cards and when I checked in, added them as a credit on my room that I pulled from. I buy disney cards at Target (with my 5% off) for several months up until my trip and then use them for spending money.
DisneyDmbNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #4
Jestocost
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cab0ad View Post

PIN codes are used for the new RFID card readers. I'm not sure if they now are required for mag swipes or not; historically they were not. The current KTTW cards offer both capabilities.
Spring 1976, WDW/Golf Resort; Spring 2000, WDW/CBR; Summer 2002, WDW/CBR; Thanksgiving 2003, Disney Wonder & WDW/CBR; Fall 2004, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2005, Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Fall 2005, WDW/BC; Summer 2006, Disney Magic E. Caribbean & WDW/POFQ; Christmas 2006, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2007, DLR/Disneyland Hotel; Fall 2007, WDW/Poly; Summer 2008, WDW/POFQ & Disney Wonder B2B; Thanksgiving 2008, WDW/Poly; Summer 2009, WDW/AKL; Christmas/New Year 2009-2010, WDW/Poly and Disney Magic W. Caribbean; Spring Break 2010, WDW/BC; Summer 2010, WDW/GF; Thanksgiving 2010, WDW/POFQ; Spring Break 2011, WDW/BC; Summer 2011, WDW/BWI; Thanksgiving 2011, Disney Dream; Summer 2012, WDW/AKL;F&WF 2012, WDW/BWI; Spring Break 2013, WDW/BC; Summer 2013, Disney Wonder Alaska; F&WF 2013, WDW/YC; Spring Break 2014, WDW/AKL and Disney Fantasy W. Caribbean; Summer 2014, WDW/WL; October 2014, Disney Magic S. Caribbean and Repo B2B

Jestocost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Yes. They will have you set up a pin now.
I even put my pin in when the "tap" way wasn't working, and they had to "swipe."

As for your other question, pretty much all the places that have card capability will allow you to charge to your room at Disney, even if they don't accept Disney gift cards. I don't know the exact places that don't take Disney gift cards, but I remember that charging to your room was a work around, when Disney's Honeymoon Registry put all the money on a gift card.
There are a few places that only take cash, but that's pretty much limited to the moving carts, such as the places that sell light up things before the evening fireworks shows.

Also, anywhere that is part of the Disney Dining Plan will definitely be able to read the room charge portion as well, which covers pretty much all of the places you listed above.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: