Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 07:19 AM   #1
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

Obesity epidemic, or me just being insensitive?

Our cul de sac is under construction. There are large construction vehicles building homes on the end. Due to this temporary situation, the school bus cannot turn around and the kids are being asked to wait for the bus at the other end of the street. I counted, there are 10 homes between ends of the street. Its not even 2 blocks. One mother on the street is so outraged she sent letters to everyone on the street to complain. She wants us all to call the school, the superintendent, and a whole list of other people to complain. Her child "has sore joints if he has to walk to much." That is her reason. Her children and herself are quite overweight. I don't mean a little, I mean severely obese. I see only a small portion of what they eat because her kids throw their wrappers on the ground. But it is not health food. They also throw their fast food trash out the car windows, which I have walked back over to her door on more than one occasion. If they are outside, they are always sitting with some type of electronics and always a snack.

So I am sorry for not siding with the whole unseen medical condition possibility.There may be one. I can't help but think maybe the 10 extra steps might help. It really is not even a block. There I am insensitive.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:23 AM   #2
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

I don't think you're being insensitive at all. I'm sure it would do those children good to walk more every day. But you're right, there could be a medical problem that causes the child to have joint pain. If the children are that obese, it could be from the obesity. Very sad.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 07:31 AM   #3
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Unless there is some weird medical issue, that sounds like a kid that needs to walk a LOT more. It was 1/2 mile from my front door to the bus stop when I was a kid.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Unless there is some weird medical issue, that sounds like a kid that needs to walk a LOT more. It was 1/2 mile from my front door to the bus stop when I was a kid.
And same here about the 1/2 mile walk from the bus stop. Also worth thinking about: Unless you lived more than 2 miles from the school, you were considered to live within walking distance and there was no bus service. I don't think I will ever understand why (now) kids who live 3 miles from the school need the bus to pick them up outside their house, but kids who live one mile closer are somehow able to make that walk to school.

JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

My little ones walk 1/2 mile to school, my older ones walk 1 1/2 miles to school - every day. Next year, dd12 (4'9", 68 pounds) will do the 3 mile round trip walk. Surprise, surprise, none of them are overweight.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

The vast majority of obesity is not caused by a medical condition, it is caused by poor diet and lack of exercise. Full stop. The childhood obesity epidemic is multifaceted but yes, the unwillingness to walk a few blocks let alone 10 houses is one of the reasons for it. I remember running around for hours a day as a school-aged kid. Walking 10 blocks? That wasn't even on my radar.

It is extremely sad what some parents are allowing their children to become and it will have a long lasting negative effect on a very large percentage of them.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM   #7
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

I don't think you are insensitive at all. Your description made me think of Wall-E. Lazy... lazy... lazy.
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
PrincessJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessJo View Post
I don't think you are insensitive at all. Your description made me think of Wall-E. Lazy... lazy... lazy.
Every day I see more evidence that Wall-E was downright prophetic. I'm not sure if it makes me more sad or angry.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM   #9
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

How sad for those kids. I live in one of the worst states for obesity and as someone who has fibro and rheumatoid arthritis, I understand pain. But carrying extra weight is not helping those kids even if they do have hidden issues.

Few things in moderation will kill you. But there are kids out there who never see free veggies, or whole grains. Totally heartbreaking.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
sunshinehighway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post
And same here about the 1/2 mile walk from the bus stop. Also worth thinking about: Unless you lived more than 2 miles from the school, you were considered to live within walking distance and there was no bus service. I don't think I will ever understand why (now) kids who live 3 miles from the school need the bus to pick them up outside their house, but kids who live one mile closer are somehow able to make that walk to school.
We had the 2 mile rule also. It was a city with one really busy street which needed to be crossed to get to the school (which was on top of a huge hill). I just looked it up. They still have the 2 mile rule.
sunshinehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:41 AM   #11
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Really? Walle was about bone mass loss after several lifetimes in space. Lol, far from prophetic...
Old 04-24-2013, 07:42 AM   #12
FlyingDumbo
DIS Veteran

When I confessed my mean insensitive thoughts to my husband, he reminded me how this family does always make it to the far end of the street when the ice cream truck stops there. In fact, I think it is the only times you ever see all of them.
FlyingDumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #13
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

No, not insensitve...the family is just lazy. It would do the kid good to walk more. Does he also get a pass for gym class and opt out of field trips to the zoo or museum?

Although, this being the DIS, I'll just wait for someone to talk about their child's rare medical disorder that causes them to be obese and arthritic and that we are all being insensitive to disabilities that aren't so readily visible to the naked eye.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:50 AM   #14
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
Really? Walle was about bone mass loss after several lifetimes in space. Lol, far from prophetic...
I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not. The two main themes of Wall-E were the pollution of the Earth and humans becoming so lazy and fat that they became practically immobile without the use of a floating chair to get them everywhere.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:51 AM   #15
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Not insensitive in my book. How sad that the family is making things worse for their children instead of helping them to become healthier.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: