Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Need suggestions for "fear of flying" sufferer.

So my family has a European vacation planned for literally 30 days from today. Total of 11 people, 10 days in Paris and London.

Got a call from one member last night who says they can't go because they don't think they can handle the flight.

I'm trying not to be upset but they knew where Europe was 5 months ago when we book non refundable air fare? Person who wants to pull out is not paying for her part of the trip (another family member gave it to her as a gift) but I'd hate to see them lose 3K

So anyone who has a fear of flying, any tips I can pass on? Do you fly?
It's not my favorite activity but I don't have a fear so I don't have any ideas.

Our flight going over is a red eye so I have told her she'll possible sleep most of the way.

***sighs*** She said she had no idea Europe was so far away. I'd laugh at that if it I could.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited by eliza61; 04-24-2013 at 10:36 AM.
eliza61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #2
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Xanax to relax an hour before the flight and then an ambien once they get on board to sleep through the flight. Have the person go to their doctor now to discuss it. My sister and my best friend have a terrible fear of flying and this is what works for them for longer flights.

I hope they get to go! Sounds like a great trip and a fun time.
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #3
shoney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61 View Post

So my family has a European vacation planned for literally 30 days from today. Total of 11 people, 10 days in Paris and London.

Got a call from one member last night who says they can't go because they don't think they can handle the flight.

I'm trying not to be upset but they knew where Europe was 5 months ago when we book non refundable air fare? Person who wants to pull out is not paying for her part of the trip (another family member gave it to her as a gift) but I'd hate to see them lose 3K

So anyone who has a fear of flying, any tips I can pass on? Do you fly?
It's not my favorite activity but I don't have a fear so I don't have any ideas.

I flight going over is a red eye so I have told her she'll possible sleep most of the way.

***sighs*** She said she had no idea Europe was so far away. I'd laugh at that if it I could.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Honestly, I have no experience with this. I love to fly!
My DH got over his fear using tequila Now, he's flown enough that he is ok sober!

Maybe share Whoopi Goldberg's story with her. Here is one link...I'm sure there are many more out there.

http://www.blackdresstraveler.com/20...of-flying.html

I would hate to see someone miss out on such a great trip because of fear!
Good Luck!!!!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

My wife said no to a trip to Scotland (paid for by my parents) for this reason. I honestly don't know how to convince someone to get on a plane for hours if they hate the idea . Best of luck to ya.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #5
Bren's Mom
DIS Veteran

Phobias can be VERY effectively overcome with hypnosis. Even one session can make a huge difference immediately! I'd encourage anyone with a phobia to at least give it a try.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
clutter
Princess's Mom
The TF is sorry that you were overlooked, we've been really busy lately! :)

My sister has an irrational fear of flying. That said, she'd never have booked a trip to Europe, since she does know how far it is.

Whatever you do, don't mix suggestions, specifically the xanax and the tequila. Xanax (I think that's what it was) has a looooong half life. I travelled to London with a friend that popped xanax and drank on the flight over. For most of the trip, it was as though an alien had invaded her body. I was just about to purchase airfare home (it was a work contest trip that I won, but it was SO bad), when it finally wore off. My friend moved away, and every so often I'd get a call from her that was totally whacked out when she was travelling again. Don't know HOW she managed to travel for work and keep her job.
clutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:46 PM   #7
Robbi
DIS Veteran

Xanax
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

well, this might not be ideal, but it worked for my DA. she always got horrible motion sickness whenever she flew, so, she would take a dramamine about 20-30 minutes before she got on the plane, and, as soon as she boarded, she would ask one of the stewardesses to wake her when the plane landed, then she'd sleep the entire flight.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
BadgerGirl84
I think my biggest pet peeve is when a weird toe pops out the side

Probably not enough time for therapy. Get a xanax prescription and I'd recommend him/her trying out the xanax to be aware of the effect BEFORE the trip.

I haven't ever taken it...just what I heard from others who have. I fly every other week for work, so I'd be out of a job if I had a fear of flying.

BadgerGirl84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #10
Sabeking
DIS Veteran

Ok...I absolutely am scared to death to fly; if I think about the subject for more than 15 minutes I could literally end up in the rest room with an upset stomach. It is totally irrational and no one; even my pilot friend has said one thing that took any fear away. I have tried Xanax, ambien, liquor, and hypnotism ...nothing worked. I was so bad one trip the stewardess have to give me an oxygen tank to make it through the trip; I wore the mask and my poor husband had to hold the tank( now there is unconditional love). I was hyperventilating. My longest flight has been about eight hours. I am not scared to die in general...I just don't want to go that way

All that being said the best way I get through it is by putting on my head phones with either really relaxing or Christian music. I also bring my Bible and read God's promises. My favorite is Phillipians 4:4-9. For the last half dozen times I have flown this has really calmed me down. If your family member is not a Christian maybe he/she could do a prayer related to their faith or even meditation. I so hope it works out for you all! A fear can be paralyzingly and rob you of the joy you could be having. Let us know how it turns out!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Sugardimples
DIS Veteran

I think this bigger issue here is not the fear of flying but the fact that this person let someone else buy her a non-refundalbe ticket knowing that she has this fear. If you're that scared, don't go. But don't say you're going and then change your mind. And I don't believe for one minute that they didn't know how far away Europe is.
Sugardimples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #12
hopemax
Note to Self: Please remember to bring your brain with you this time

Does the person fly at all? If the person can handle shorter flights, maybe anti- anxiety meds, breathing exercises, self visualization techniques, sleeping, music "distraction" type things might help. Also, maybe just talking about specific fears.

If they don't fly at all, that's a bigger hill to climb.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2013, 04:42 PM   #13
firecracker725
DIS Veteran

I'm all for the B.A. Baracus method.

In all seriousness, I'm a nervous flier myself, but I made the decision a long time ago that I wasn't going to let an irrational fear keep me from seeing the world. I suck it up and deal with it, but IDK what I'd do in your situation. Let the person who paid for her trip sort it out.

-------------
firecracker725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
LSmith
DIS Veteran

Ativan. Works wonders.
LSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:48 PM   #15
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugardimples View Post
I think this bigger issue here is not the fear of flying but the fact that this person let someone else buy her a non-refundalbe ticket knowing that she has this fear. If you're that scared, don't go. But don't say you're going and then change your mind. And I don't believe for one minute that they didn't know how far away Europe is.
It could be that they were so excited about the trip, they thought they could overcome their fear, but as it looms closer, they're starting to panic. And, I'm sure (at least I hope!)she knew it was far away, but she probably didn't know just how many hours on a plane it would be, especially if she's not flown very often.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: