Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 11:30 AM   #31
Janepod
The new dinning plan is out. Need to get those ressies in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Is your husband a Clint Eastwood fan? That's a line from "Unforgiven"
Yes! In fact, that is his favorite movie. I have never seen it so I didn't know it was a quote.
Janepod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:32 AM   #32
scoutie
DIS Veteran

This year:

Disney for a week in January (funded by my parents, who took the whole family): not sure of the cost, but it was at least $5000 for my family alone

One weekend in Lake Geneva: $400
One weekend in South Haven, Michican $400
One week in Playa del Carmen Mexico: $2800
scoutie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 11:39 AM   #33
A_Princess'_Daddy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Belle View Post
Okay, I think I have to stop reading this thread now. I'm happy for you, I really am.

That's incredibly wonderful how many vacation days you get (and are able to finance!). Sounds more like a European's vacation schedule.
That's actually the perspective of the managing partner/primary owner of the firm for which I work, and to say he has the loyalty of the entire team as a result would be an understatement. My wife, children and I are unquestionably blessed and fortunate beyond belief (and in many ways beyond just this one).

Last edited by A_Princess'_Daddy; 05-01-2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Clarifying to whom the "we" refers.
A_Princess'_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #34
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

Dh and I both get 5 weeks vacation plus 11 holidays, several of which are used as floaters.

This year we went to WDW in March for 8 days, we're going to Hilton Head the week before Memorial Day for 10 days, we are going on the DVC member cruise in Sept, and a Princess cruise in late October. We may be able to slip in a few days at WDW after a conference I'm going to in Orlando in Sept.

For the WDW and HHI trips we use DVC points. The only OOP we have is food and gas which can fluctuate. The cruises are what they are. The Princess one we got a good deal on it and couldn't refuse.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #35
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
3 vacations a year

2 weeks on an international vacation-must be a new location each time

1 week at Disney

1 week in a tropical location; usually Hawaii

I also go to Las Vegas for long weekends (usually 5 days) twice a year with my best friend
Adopt me please!!

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #36
goofyintoronto
Proud foot flusher
I really wanted to like it, but I didn't

we usually have one vacation a year. Disney in August! Thats normally about $3000.

Last year we did Disney and France. That cost....well....a lot.

........."Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor, mantengase alejado de las puertas".........

AUGUST "2013" DINING REVIEW / AUGUST "2012" DINING REVIEW
goofyintoronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #37
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
That's actually the perspective of the managing partner/primary owner of the firm for which I work, and to say he has the loyalty of the entire team as a result would be an understatement. My wife, children and I are unquestionably blessed and fortunate beyond belief (and in many ways beyond just this one).
It seems more and more US companies are finding this to be a good way to attract TOP talent and keep motivated and productive employees That is so good to know as we would not ever leave this schedule now that we have lived it

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #38
Minnesota!
Shoeless in Minnesota
Has lots of rules in bed
Must have my Jelly Belly's from the Main Street candy store
I am quite spacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
For family vacations with the children we usually take 15 days in the summer, 11 days for spring break (Thursday to the following Sunday) in March, 14 days after Christmas (usually the day after Christmas until January 8th or so) and 11 days over Thanksgiving (Thursday to the following Sunday). My wife and I usually then take a week in the early fall to go someplace as adults.

My DW and I are very blessed with jobs that offer a tremendous amount of vacation, as we love to travel, and we have the resources to support that passion. As the kids get older, the days out of school may have to be reduced, but the schools have been supportive thus far.

We usually do two trips to Florida for Disney (spring break and Thanksgiving), a trip to a major metropolitan area (New York, San Francisco, New England, etc. during the summer) and a trip to the mountains for skiing (Christmas trip, generally, usually to Steamboat or Aspen).

I'm not a big fan of "weekend trips". Living in Iowa, too much time is tied up in getting to and from the destination, so we'd rather do longer trips (and I'll never count a weekend trip to Omaha or Kansas City as a vacation! )

Same thing with living in MN - weekend destinations are Milwaukee, Fargo, Des Moines. We have done KC for long weekends...but...yeah, snooze city.

Your company sounds awesome. If they are ever in need of a graphic designer - send me a PM Iowa is still far enough north for my Norwegian blood!

Minnesota! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #39
Pigeon
DIS Veteran

We don't vacation much. We maybe take one week a year away. This year we're renting a house in the Adirondacks for a week. Some years we go nowhere. It's just not a big priority.
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:15 PM   #40
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHdisneylover View Post
It seems more and more US companies are finding this to be a good way to attract TOP talent and keep motivated and productive employees That is so good to know as we would not ever leave this schedule now that we have lived it
I've been finding the opposite, but then again I am not big business material. My work history is in social services, education, and a short stint in journalism.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:18 PM   #41
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Depends on the year.

this year we're doing Europe so that tends to raise my average price due to expensive air fare.

We do disney often but that's usually a very inexpensive trip for us since we are dvc'ers, we some times drive down and have annual passes and we don't eat onsite often.

This year we have 3 major trips
did disney in March
london/paris in 3 weeks
Las vegas for Christmas.

I'm doing a solo trip back to wdw since my kids will be back in school and 4th of July I may sneak down to Charleston to visit relatives.

Like GS above me last year was a pretty horrible year for me so I didn't take any vacation.

Next year I'm determined to do the Yellowstone/grand tetons and a few civil war sites. I haven't priced them out yet so I don't know.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:19 PM   #42
indimom
Are We There Yet?

I'd say we average one a year. Many would be visits with family or short weekend camping trips. We've taken four or five trips in the last 17 years that were longer than a weekend.

2002: 7 days in Destin at my sister's house. Very much a vacation. Dolphin tours, aquarium, a local zoo, the beach, etc. $1,200.

2004: 7 Days tent camping at Mammoth Cave Kentucky. Tons of fun. A great value. $1,500.

2005: 10 Days in Disney. Priceless. $3,000.

2008: 7 Days at Universal. Loved it. $1,500.

2010: 14 Days in Disney. Ahhhh. $5,500.

2013: 8 days: 5 camping at Disney, 3 at Universal. About $1,200 thanks to rewards points. We're only paying oop for gas, groceries (which will mostly be from the cooler) and 3-day universal tickets.

Future plans include DC and a two-week trip out west to see several National Parks.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #43
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
3 vacations a year

2 weeks on an international vacation-must be a new location each time

1 week at Disney

1 week in a tropical location; usually Hawaii

I also go to Las Vegas for long weekends (usually 5 days) twice a year with my best friend
Pakey, I think I said this before, you've got to start a travel blog. I live through you and I need pictures for my fantasy.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #44
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
We don't vacation much. We maybe take one week a year away. This year we're renting a house in the Adirondacks for a week. Some years we go nowhere. It's just not a big priority.
Oh, the museum at blue mountain lake is one of my favorite anywhere. No clue why, but if you are near it is a nice small visit.
Old 05-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #45
Jaime4004
DIS Veteran

I've just been texting back and forth with DH today to let him know our vacation plans for the year (i'm the planner, he goes along for the ride...) because he needed to give work notice. They are asking for it all now and stated that everyone must use up one week of vacation before June 23rd this year.

DH and I are going to FL for a long weekend in May
I'm going on a 4 day cruise from Boston to Canada with friends (my first ever non family vacation in July
Cape cod for long weekend in July with whole family
Family vacation to FL in Aug for 10 days
Long weekend in NH white mountains in Oct for family
FL again over xmas break with family

Luckily, my parents have a vacation rental in FL that we can use whenever and usually drive so it's affordable. These are not always Disney vacations, definitely not in August, not sure about the Dec trip yet...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: