Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
FINFAN
Mom to Tinkbell
Makes the best Apple Pie on her block!
My driver's license will say "Florida Resident" one day!
I blame Jaws

when our kids were younger we could usually take at least 1 trip a year, tho that was to visit my folks in FL so we would combine WDW in there as well. Along comes college and all trips turned into taking/getting DD from school (in FL, but alas no WDW added to the travels) we have gone to Colorado several times and love it there, and those trips total under $2000 for a week, for a family of 4. We drive from IL. Vacation has been pretty much removed from our budget except when travel has become necessary (like an upcoming burial/spreading of ashes) Just can't afford it.
We did do WDW 2x's not including family visits and those trips were awesome, took 11 days and loved every minute. I would say those trips hit the $5500 mark for 4 people on-site, split value/deluxe stay and one dog being kenneled @ home.
Vacations are awesome
Dan's IN to the Hall of Fame!

FINFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:02 AM   #17
Liberty Belle
I was going to reply, but I see I already did...three years ago!
Hey, I warned you. Now go have a drink. It's the only thing that takes it away
Makes sleestack noises when her throat itches

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Princess'_Daddy View Post
For family vacations with the children we usually take 15 days in the summer, 11 days for spring break (Thursday to the following Sunday) in March, 14 days after Christmas (usually the day after Christmas until January 8th or so) and 11 days over Thanksgiving (Thursday to the following Sunday). My wife and I usually then take a week in the early fall to go someplace as adults.

My DW and I are very blessed with jobs that offer a tremendous amount of vacation, as we love to travel, and we have the resources to support that passion. As the kids get older, the days out of school may have to be reduced, but the schools have been supportive thus far.

We usually do two trips to Florida for Disney (spring break and Thanksgiving), a trip to a major metropolitan area (New York, San Francisco, New England, etc. during the summer) and a trip to the mountains for skiing (Christmas trip, generally, usually to Steamboat or Aspen).

I'm not a big fan of "weekend trips". Living in Iowa, too much time is tied up in getting to and from the destination, so we'd rather do longer trips (and I'll never count a weekend trip to Omaha or Kansas City as a vacation! )
Okay, I think I have to stop reading this thread now. I'm happy for you, I really am.

That's incredibly wonderful how many vacation days you get (and are able to finance!). Sounds more like a European's vacation schedule.

DH: Me: DS (20): DS(10):
(Hunter) (Leo) (Anatevka) : (Cookie)
Liberty Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-01-2013, 09:06 AM   #18
mamamary
DIS Veteran

We don't have a whole lot scheduled yet this year. We have a wedding in July up in CT that will require us to stay for a few days. Not really a vacation but it will be fun. In Aug. we go to the Catskills with my whole family for a week. And we are trying to figure out what to do for a week in June. I'm the only one pulling for Disney so that's not gonna happen. I think we're leaning towards either gulf side of FL or Myrtle Beach.

me dh ds (16) dd (15) and Baxter (my 7 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:15 AM   #19
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

We are very lucky to live in Germany and DH has the standard German vacation time, 30 days. Combining that with state holidays we get about 8 full weeks to travel. W ealso take 2-3 weekend getaways in a typical year.

We have one car that is a company car (and DH is the primary user of that) and EVERYTHING (even gas on vacation) is covered (another MAJOR perk of the German system). We can often drive to our vacation destinations, including cruises, which means we only pay for tolls for our transportation. We also chose not to have a second car, the kids and I go almost everywhere by bike, foot or public transit. We spend 37 Euro a month on DS's transit card and about another 30 for individual tickets for DD and I. So, we can take the money that most people would spend on gas, car, insurance, maintenance, etc and put that into travel

Most years lately it looks like:

3-4 weeks on cruise ships in the Med. One of those is just DH and I (2013 will be 33 nights, 7 with just the adults). One of these will include 2 nights in Barcelona first.

2-4 weeks of rental houses. This year it will likely just be one two week rental in Spain for Christmas, because of our trip to the US.

This year we are also spending 2 weeks visiting family in the US (the kids and i will actually be there 5 weeks, but DH will join us at the end only).

We spent Easter weekend in Belgium/Holland and will likely get a long weekend in Southern Germany in the fall.

In a typical year we spend about 10K Euro on travel

Yes, we are well aware of how extremely lucky and spoiled we are.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
NHdisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:36 AM   #20
momto2girls
DIS Veteran

We love to travel! We homeschool and DH has his own company, so we are able to take lots of travel time.

How much we travel varies from year to year. Last year we took 5 trips in the summer alone (Niagara Falls, Washington D.C., Lexington, KY, Las Vegas, and an Alaskan cruise with side trips to Vancouver and Seattle).

This year, we went to WDW in February for a week and took a 7-night Disney cruise in April. We are going to NYC in early June and to Hilton Head for a week in late June. Then, we are going to England for 10 day in September.

We love to travel and feel very fortunate that we are in the position to do it so frequently!
Old 05-01-2013, 09:44 AM   #21
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
500 Dollars a day for two people in dc??? That is crazy! Hoping I totally misread!

Vacations come and go here depending on what is going on in our lives. This year, two trips for me , one family and one girl trip with my mom and sisters. My husband and kids are doing a fishing trip but I decided to stay home and enjoy time alone. then a trip to Charlotte to see my sister, and another 4 day trip to Lake Erie. And two trips to see my dad in Arizona because he is ill.

Last year I didn't get a vacation at all due to life's circumstances.
Well actually, its 3 people (me, dd and dh). Its $600-$650 per person for the trip--bus there and back and to tour DC, hotel, all of the tours we will take and their three performances, and a dvd of the entire trip including the performances. It includes some of the meals but not all of them; we don't have it all finalized yet so we are guesstimating perhaps a bit high?? But $2500 would be little over $200 per person over and above the package price. Of course dd's part will all be paid for in fundraising so we won't actually "pay" $600 of it.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #22
TinkerBelled
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny square View Post
500 Dollars a day for two people in dc??? That is crazy! Hoping I totally misread!

Vacations come and go here depending on what is going on in our lives. This year, two trips for me , one family and one girl trip with my mom and sisters. My husband and kids are doing a fishing trip but I decided to stay home and enjoy time alone. then a trip to Charlotte to see my sister, and another 4 day trip to Lake Erie. And two trips to see my dad in Arizona because he is ill.

Last year I didn't get a vacation at all due to life's circumstances.
It's super easy to spend that much in a city. You can spend much less, but for a nice (but not extravagant) weekend away, you're looking at $250 a night for a nice but midrange hotel, $150 for dinner, and $100 to spend on other meals, tickets, etc.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:01 AM   #23
khertz
Proud member of the WHO DAT NATION!!

We typically do 2 vacations a year. Most years that is one shorter & cheaper non-Disney trip, plus a 7-9 day Disney trip. This year, we just returned on Saturday from a week in East Tennessee. We drove, stayed at our timeshare, and did a lot of activities that were relatively inexpensive or free. We will spend a little more than a week at Disney World in the fall, but we tend to spend a lot more on our Disney trips after factoring in flights, rental car, tickets, souvenirs, character meals, etc. I think having a timeshare has made a majority of the trips we have taken possible since we don't have to factor in the cost of a hotel or resort for a week.
JULY 1994 // Offsite & Universal Studios & Busch Gardens | APRIL 1998 // All Star Music & Universal Studios |FEBRUARY 2001 // All Star Music & Universal | MARCH 2003 // All Star Music & Universal // Hard Rock Hotel | FEBRUARY 2004 // All Star Music & Universal // Royal Pacific & Sea World | OCTOBER 2007 (Disneymoon!) // Port Orleans French Quarter & Universal Studios // Royal Pacific | DECEMBER 2009 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/ TR | JULY/AUGUST 2010 // Wyndham Cypress Palms TR | NOVEMBER 2011 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | MAY 2012 // Disneyland // Wyndham Dolphin's Cove TR | AUGUST 2012 // Disneyland 5 Year Anniversary Trip // Peacock Suites TR | OCTOBER 2012 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek PTR/TR | OCTOBER 2013 // Wyndham Bonnet Creek & Universal // Royal Pacific PTR/"I Wanna See My Castle!" October 2013 TR | MAY 2014 // Wilderness Lodge Adventures at 40"! May 2014 TR
khertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:07 AM   #24
tasha99
DIS Veteran

Over the past year:

Spring break--airfare to family for 2 people $2500
Christmas break--airfare for 2: $3000
Summer--gas money given to DD20 to come visit and paying for fishing charters/hotels/restaurants etc to entertain her: $3000.

Yikes: $8500 last year. And we did a summer staycation and just visited family in the lower 48. (Total of 5 weeks) Of course, airfare during peak times is beyond ridiculous here ($1000-$1500 pp--about $500 if you can travel off peak, which I can't).

I am looking forward to a Disney vacation and going to Vegas with a friend, hopefully in the next year. We're moving back to the lower 48, and the air savings will make those kinds of vacations much more affordable than they used to be.
tasha99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #25
bettymae1121
sure. fine. whatever.

We usually manage a "major" vacation every other year or so. By "major" I mean we do something other than visit out of state family. We take our vacation time every year but often don't travel anywhere.

There are a few reasons. One is that it's is VERY hard for DH and I to get time off at the same time. DH can't take time off around major holidays, I can't get time off from July through October. That only leaves the winter months minus Christmas and Easter. Sounds like plenty, right? Problem is that DH is often sick with colds all winter so by March he's used up all his vacation time as sick time. So we usually can take a single week together in January or February before all his time is gone. And because we both have family out of state, we often go and visit my father or DH's mother so they can get to know their only grand daughter.

This year DH managed to hang on to a week for later in the year, but he has to use that to stay home and care for our DD while I'm away on a business trip (DH works 3rd shift so he has to take time off). So DH will take DD to visit his mother that week while I'm in FL. No family vacation this year, unless a miracle happens and my trip gets canceled. In which case we'll go to Disney in November, most likely.

Anyway, for the times we do manage to take a real vacation, our average cost tends to be about $2k for a week's stay, but I get free airfare as a job perk and we earn Sheraton hotel points on our credit card, so we only have to pay for meals and activities/park tickets and things like airport parking/transfers and souvenirs. $2k would be for something like Disney, if we went to a place that we didn't have to buy theme park tickets or pay a ton for activities, it would be even less.

bettymae1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 AM   #26
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

3 vacations a year

2 weeks on an international vacation-must be a new location each time

1 week at Disney

1 week in a tropical location; usually Hawaii

I also go to Las Vegas for long weekends (usually 5 days) twice a year with my best friend
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:29 AM   #27
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janepod View Post
Haha, true. Even my husband says, " 'deserve' has got nothing to do with it.".
Is your husband a Clint Eastwood fan? That's a line from "Unforgiven"
Old 05-01-2013, 10:48 AM   #28
HeatherC
Alas...these people I live with take up too much room

OP here. Wow...I guess I wasn't way out of the average...at least on the Dis...after all.

We are so very fortunate to be able to go as much as we do and I truly wish EVERYONE who wanted to could as well.

LibertyBelle...I completely understand your feelings. We have had years when weren't possible and I know how hard and depressing that can be. I hope things will turn around soon and finances ease up.

In the meantime, I think I am going to start another thread...whats your best ways of snagging some awesome vacation deals. Maybe these ideas will give others some ideas on how they can afford a vacation too.

Happy travels!!
HeatherC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:07 AM   #29
ZephyrHawk
I can nicker too, but I'm not nearly as embarrassed about that
Please don't ski with your kid on a leash
I firmly believe in ghostly figments of my imagination

I don't know what could be considered average for us right now, since last year when I was pregnant we basically went nowhere (one long weekend in NYC) and spent very little, whereas the year before we went to Europe for 25 days. So basically I'd be averaging out <$1000 for 2012 and >$8000 for 2011. I guess in "normal" years we try to vacation between 10-14 days and I generally try to keep costs between $2500-$3500. That's what I'm looking at for our Disney vacation this June. And usually there's one or two inexpensive long weekends in there as well. Not sure how new DD is going to change our spending in this regard. Ask me again in 5 years.

Polynesian Village (1983), Polynesian Village (1986), Grand Floridian (1989), All Star Sports (1997), Disneyland (1998), All Star Movies (2000), Port Orleans - French Quarter (2001), All Star Music (2002), Disneyland (2004), Wilderness Lodge (2007), Pop Century (2010), Saratoga Springs (2013), and Disney Land and Sea Extravaganza (coming Nov/Dec 2015)
ZephyrHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
BlueStarryHat

Just picture everyone sitting at the computer in their underwear

I go to Disney about every two years, and counting spending money it costs me about $2500. This year it's closer to $3500 because I'm paying for another person.

Every year I usually go to the shore at Wildwood, New Jersey with my sister and her family. They let me stay at their hotel for free, so it usually only costs me about $500 for the week in spending money.

I also go semi-regularly to Knoebel's Amusement Park for a long weekend with my aunt and uncle and young cousin-I'm the big doofus that goes on all the rides with her. That costs about $500 as well. Not going this year because it's a Disney year.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: