Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #61
bluechic03
DIS Veteran

Opa!

After our Breakfast with Mickey, our room was ready at BLT. When we checked in they told us our room was one of the testing rooms for the new RFID system but the bracelets were being tweaked. UGH WHY EVEN TELL ME THEN!!!Seriously, such a tease! Our room was awesome and our Lake view was great. I requested a pool view and got it

Love it! So relaxing to see the lake and hear people playing at the pool. We could see the Electrical Water Pageant at night too!
We spent the day at the pool, unpacking, and napping. Kermit had requested to hang out at the Boardwalk one night so a non-park day seemed to be a good choice. We both like Greek food, so we decided to give Kouzzina a try.

We walked over to MK and took a bus to the Boardwalk. We arrived at 5:30pm for our 6:15pm reservation. We spent some time strolling along enjoying the scenery.

And Robin chased some birds...

I was hoping the Boardwalk Bakery would be open from the rennovations, but no such luck Oh well, I needed to save room for dinner anyway!
We walked over to check in early about 6pm and were seated immediately. Our table was in a corner which gave us a good view of the open kitchen.

Every once in a while we saw big flames and heard OPA! Robin loved to join in
Our server was great, she was very attentive and patient with all of Robin's antics
We all just had water to drink this time, which she brought over quickly along with the Bread, olive oil tasting, and olives

The bread was foccacia slices and was great for soaking up the oil. I remember our server really going into detail about the oils, then I tasted them and couldn't tell the difference Oh well I guess my palate isn't as sophisticated as I thought hehehe
We all fought over the olives, even Robin! But his favorite part was the bread. Not because it tasted good, but because it was a good consistency to make a "bread house" as he demonstrated...

I grew up in Chicago, and Kermit went to school there (how we met awwwwwwww) and we have some seriously amazing authentic Greek food there. Our favorite appetizer is Skordalia, a dip made from whipped potatoes (I know it sounds weird but trust me), garlic (TONS), and lemon. We were hoping they had it here but no such luck We went with our 2nd favorite Greek Appetizer, Saganaki! How can you go wrong with flaming cheese???

Seared Haloumi Cheese with Lemon and Oregano
Yum Yum Yum I love the seared outside that gives the cheese a yummy little crust. And the ooey gooey inside? Delish! The only thing that was lacking in this was the bread. It was too crispy for my taste, crispy all the way through. I would have liked the inside to be chewy. I had already eaten so much bread so I just ate the cheese straight up and was happy

cont....

An April Dining Report!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post48266800
bluechic03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #62
bluechic03
DIS Veteran

OPA! cont...

Our entrees followed shortly. Robin went with the classic Greek favorite

JK he had Mac & Cheese! He loved it of course, can you blame him? He actually ate some green beans too. We may or may not have bribed him with another cupcake
Kermit had

Braised Short Ribs - over smoked Feta-mashed potatoes and seasonal vegetables
He loved this. I was a bit skeptical but had a bite and it was really good! The meat melted in my mouth and the potatoes were awesome

I did what any good Piggy would do and had a sampling of entrees!

Kouzzina Trio - Tasting size portions of Greek-style Lasagna, Char-grilled Lamb Burger, and Cinnamon-stewed Chicken with Orzo

The stewed chicken was on the left and it was delicious. I was skeptical of this too as I'm not usually a fan of anything stewed. The meat was very tender, not stringy, and the cinnamon gave it a yummy smoky quality. Next was the Pastitsio (lasagna) and this was AWESOME. I have had lots of this dish in the past and this was right up there with my favorite Greek Chicago restaurant (Greek Islands). Creamy Bechamel on the top with a wonderful cinnamon tomato meat sauce and hearty pasta. YUM
The only one I didn't like was the lamb burger. I wasn't a fan of the combination of spices. I consider myself a pretty adventurous eater. I like Indian food, Thai food, all sorts of ethnic dishes but this lamb burger was just WEIRD. It actually tasted to me what I would envision a man's feet in the middle east to taste like Kermit tried it though and ate it up. I think anything in a burger form he will eat After I told him my visual of a man's feet though he was sufficiently grossed out

Our inhibitions were beginning to falter and we all decided to go for dessert. Robin had the build your own cupcake

This was by far the best cupcake for Robin on the trip. It kept him super busy and he loved putting all the chocolate chips along the Mickey Head of chocolate syrup!

Guess it tasted good too!

Kermit and I had (I forgot a pic I know! Just envision little donut balls )
Loukoumades - Freshly Made Greek Doughnuts drizzled with Warm Honey
They have taken away the dipping sauces I had seen on other reviews, and they really needed them. They were good but not very sweet They could have really used the sauces. They were warm and gooey though so they left us satisfied.

Overall we really liked our dinner but it won't be one we need to go back to anytime soon. Glad we tried it, but it didn't make the "must do" list.

Coming up, Pecos Bills (Psssssssssssst they have CHEESE sauce!)

An April Dining Report!

Last edited by bluechic03; 05-12-2013 at 11:23 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 AM   #63
missybe
Earning My Ears

Looking forward to the next instalment :-)
missybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:44 AM   #64
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Wow, I had never really considered Kouzzina before but that seared haloumi may have just won me over
wilma-bride is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:49 AM   #65
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #66
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

We are planning to try Kouzzina for dinner in August. We have had breakfast and enjoyed it. Really looked forward to the Saganaki cheese! Thank you for the great review!

Mom & Son - The Last Time? August 2013 ~ Mom & Son Take on Spring Break - March 2013
Mom & Son Head to Food & Wine - November 2012 ~ Mom & Son - One More Time with Dad! August 23rd - Sept 3rd 2012
Mom and Son Take on the Land! - July 2010 Trip Report
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #67
bluejasmine
DIS Veteran

Eww a middle eastern feet burger! LOL! Loving the reviews!! Oh I cant wait for Pecos I love Pecos for their cheese sauce! lol
ASMo 2003/2005, ASMu 2009,Pop 2006/2013, SSR 2008, Poly CL 2010/2011/2013, GF CL 2012, AKL 2011, CR 2011, BC CL 2012, POR 2005/2012, CBR 2011, DCL Fantasy 2012, Hilton DTD 2011(2x) Best Western DTD 2010/2012
bluejasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM   #68
disnut1149
DIS Veteran

Hi
Great reviews!! I'm enjoying reading them. Your boys are adorable!! Thanks for sharing.
1972 Offsite, 1978 Offsite, 1980 Dutch Inn, 1989 Comfort Inn, 1990 CBR, 1993 Peabody, 1996 AllStar Sports, 1997 Dixie Landings, 2000 Holiday Inn Family Suites, 2001 Marriott World Center, 2004 Pop Century, 2005 Pop Century, 2006 Pop Century Aug & Dec, 2007 Pop Century Aug & CSR Dec., 2008 WL & POFQ Aug. & AS Sports Dec., 2009 Pop Aug., Pop Oct & CBR Dec., 2010 POR Sept & CBR Oct., 2011 CSR May & Pop & Akl
Nov., 2014 CSR Sept., 2015 AS Sports Aug.
disnut1149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #69
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Loving your reviews so far!

Your story about your son using Beast's potty was too cute! Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that today.
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #70
bluechic03
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by missybe View Post
Looking forward to the next instalment :-)
Thanks! Hopefully I can get it done tomorrow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
Wow, I had never really considered Kouzzina before but that seared haloumi may have just won me over
It was really good! I never did either until my DH brought it up, glad he did

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiigirl View Post
Great pics!
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
We are planning to try Kouzzina for dinner in August. We have had breakfast and enjoyed it. Really looked forward to the Saganaki cheese! Thank you for the great review!
Thanks for reading! Hopefully the RFID system will be up and running by August

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejasmine View Post
Eww a middle eastern feet burger! LOL! Loving the reviews!! Oh I cant wait for Pecos I love Pecos for their cheese sauce! lol
It was such a weird taste! Maybe if I slathered some cheese sauce on it I would of liked it

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnut1149 View Post
Hi
Great reviews!! I'm enjoying reading them. Your boys are adorable!! Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for reading

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseytinkerbell View Post
Loving your reviews so far!

Your story about your son using Beast's potty was too cute! Thanks for the chuckle, I needed that today.
I'm glad I could give you a laugh. I had a rough day too....must be something in the water today!

An April Dining Report!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #71
bluechic03
DIS Veteran

Life!

Just wanted to let you all know I will try to update tomorrow. I wound up in the hospital yesterday with Kidney Stones! Holy Moly the pain is almost as bad as labor but you never know when its coming or when its going to end. THIS SUCKS!

An April Dining Report!

Old 05-14-2013, 10:26 PM   #72
RGirl
DIS Veteran

Oh, I am loving the Boardwalk pictures!! We will be staying there in 86 days!

Your Kouzzina dinner looked amazing. Especially the CHEESE. We ate there in 2011, and your pictures are making me want to go back. But we are committed to trying Flying Fish (along with about a bazillion other places) this year.
RGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:27 PM   #73
jedijill
Chiefs fan living in Bronco country

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechic03 View Post
Just wanted to let you all know I will try to update tomorrow. I wound up in the hospital yesterday with Kidney Stones! Holy Moly the pain is almost as bad as labor but you never know when its coming or when its going to end. THIS SUCKS!
Oh no! Hope you feel better soon!

Jill in CO
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #74
jstoll1
Earning My Ears

Nice.
jstoll1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #75
jerseytinkerbell
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechic03 View Post
Oh my gosh! That is terrible! Wishing you a speedy recovery!
jerseytinkerbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: