Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #76
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysurfs
Does anyone know if industrial light and magic will still be involved?
I can't imagine why ILM wouldn't be involved. They were part of Lucasfilm so Disney owns them too.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report DOA
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:03 AM   #77
JediBonas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomiam79 View Post
Am I the only one that didnt hate the second trilogy? Yeah, episode 1 was pretty bad with Jar-Jar and all, but the second two were pretty good IMO.
The third one was the best of the prequels but IMO it was a movie of wasted potential. It should have been amazing, and I think all the elements were there, but it just fell short of what it could have been. The book based on Episode III is much better then the movie, and they're nearly identical. I think where the book really shines is the internal struggle Anakin is going through, which just didn't come through as much in the movie. Diologue/acting/script issues?
Register to remove

Old 08-05-2013, 08:12 AM   #78
LuzzBightyear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomiam79 View Post
Am I the only one that didnt hate the second trilogy? Yeah, episode 1 was pretty bad with Jar-Jar and all, but the second two were pretty good IMO.
I agree, and I will even goes as far to say Episode 1 does not totally deserve the intensity of hate it gets. Sure many of the well known negatives are justified (Jar-Jar, clumsy dialogue, ect), but it does have some strong points as well: the best (IMO) lightsaber duel, two cool sith villains, and a great musical score (Duel of the fates). It is not TOTAL crap.
LuzzBightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #79
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediBonas View Post
The third one was the best of the prequels but IMO it was a movie of wasted potential. It should have been amazing, and I think all the elements were there, but it just fell short of what it could have been. The book based on Episode III is much better then the movie, and they're nearly identical. I think where the book really shines is the internal struggle Anakin is going through, which just didn't come through as much in the movie. Diologue/acting/script issues?
I for one loved the duel on Mustafar. I also think the Dark Lord Trilogy (Labrynth of Evil, Revenge of the Sith, and Rise of Lord Vader) is the second best Star Wars series behind the Heir to the Empire Trilogy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuzzBightyear View Post
I agree, and I will even goes as far to say Episode 1 does not totally deserve the intensity of hate it gets. Sure many of the well known negatives are justified (Jar-Jar, clumsy dialogue, ect), but it does have some strong points as well: the best (IMO) lightsaber duel, two cool sith villains, and a great musical score (Duel of the fates). It is not TOTAL crap.
You forgot about the pod race.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report DOA
Old 08-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #80
twolittletinkerbells
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
No...I remember everything.

And your analysis is from a fan perspective... Not exactly neutral.

The "dark period" was what USED to happen to pop culture. It died, it was replaced
By a couple of decent sized movies per year... New Saturday morning cartoons...new toys for 8 year old boys...the Star Trek franchise took the place in the genre.

The Internet changed everything, global
Mass production of... Well... Everything... Did too, cgi, streaming, massive cable options, continuing evolution of technology.

I understand you statement... But I'm not sure you're putting it through the wash properly.

Those movies were absolutely disgraceful and all of us diehard fans know it. There's no sense sugarcoating it... The franchise is on creative lifesupport and is on the list for an infusion.

It's not that he didnt sell crap... Nothing seems to put a dent in that...but there was nothing made out of a wealth of possibilities.

They took the emperor down ten notches, made yoda into a laughable cartoon , made the "tortured soul of evil" - Darth vader - pathetic...

Fifteen years ago would you have thought that with a huge war, hundreds of Jedi characters, and bounty hunter galore to deal with... That it could bomb so badly? And it did... Money isn't the only indicator.

Lets be honest.

I hope Disney can bring it back... Really do.

But let's face it...Lucas is a horrid writer and director... Rick mccallum is the biggest clown to ever be let near a movie set.

Stock up: Leigh bracket, Lawrence kasdan, irv kershner, Richard Marquand...
Look what they had to deal with...but it was simpler times then and we never would have known.

Good luck in retirement, George... It's a good deed for the rest of the world.

And yours is not from a "fans" perspective? Thanks for telling all of us what we like and dont, and we consider good or not.
twolittletinkerbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #81
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joben View Post
Lockedoutlogic you seem to be quite bitter again. You argue that Twin dad is writing from a fan perspective and therefore is completely biased. Yet you even describer yourself as a "diehard fan" (which I'm sure you are) but your opinion isn't biased??

I think you are in the group of bitter diehard fans who are disappointed with the second trilogy and feel all is lost.

The thing is The first trilogy was "lightening in a bottle", it is not going to be easy to duplicate that. Was the second trilogy disappointing? Yes it was not on the same level as the first. Was the second trilogy the worst piece of crap I have ever seen and therefore a harbinger of future crap? Nope I don't think so.

Too many "diehard fans" are overreacting to the second trilogy. They are disappointed that the "lighting in a bottle" wasn't duplicated.

Lucas made mistakes with the second trilogy relying on CGI too much and got wooden performances from the actors as a result, but can you blame the guy. After decades he finally gets the technology to support his original ideas and goes a little nuts with it.

However he did follow the same formula IMO but he didn't get the same results as the first trilogy. I honestly think it was out of his control as the expectations were uber high from all the "diehard fans"

And that is even moot as he will only be a consultant on the next trilogy. my view is I'm going to hope for the best. I think there is plenty of story for them to go with, and hopefully they can learn from previous mistakes.

But what do I know, I liked John Carter
I don't think it's "bitter"...or even "disappointed"

It actually more like pity.

I mean... I do agree
With alot of what you say and I am not "bitter" as you say enough to not concede alot of points... You make great ones.

But those movies and most of what has come since... Call me a "hater" (if you call me a hater...I call you "son"...because mom musta held your hand during the phantom movie)... We're just not appropriate to be made. Yeah... It's my opinion... And my opinion is they are that bad. Even the "good" movie of the three had terrible acting, worse dialogue, and alot of story fender benders...

I would argue that they were only made because Of Lucas's enormous money bin... And wouldn't have gotten the time o' day if they were brought to a studio somewhere.

Not to get geek... But the lack of explanation of the origin of the clone army and the redonkulous boba fett tie in for merchandising is enough to make me wish I hadn't wasted the time... Less than a days worth of work... Combined.

I've got an opinion... I'm not gonna try to hammer it home (anymore)...

But ironically... I've just finished watching "the people vs George Lucas". What can be described as " docu-comedy" made in 2009...

I have to admit... Even I think it might be too anti-Lucas...but it really does get to the heart of how Lucas just went down the hole. With particular emphasis on the " special edition " And what it did.
Honestly...it really is good...but R rated. Highly recommend it.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"

Last edited by lockedoutlogic; 08-07-2013 at 06:16 AM.
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #82
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twolittletinkerbells View Post

And yours is not from a "fans" perspective? Thanks for telling all of us what we like and dont, and we consider good or not.
I'm curious...what DO you think?

All ears

Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

Old 08-07-2013, 10:49 AM   #83
SpaceMTN79
Earning My Ears

Quote:
I don't think it's "bitter"...or even "disappointed"

It actually more like pity.

I mean... I do agree
With alot of what you say and I am not "bitter" as you say enough to not concede alot of points... You make great ones.

But those movies and most of what has come since... Call me a "hater" (if you call me a hater...I call you "son"...because mom musta held your hand during the phantom movie)... We're just not appropriate to be made. Yeah... It's my opinion... And my opinion is they are that bad. Even the "good" movie of the three had terrible acting, worse dialogue, and alot of story fender benders...

I would argue that they were only made because Of Lucas's enormous money bin... And wouldn't have gotten the time o' day if they were brought to a studio somewhere.

Not to get geek... But the lack of explanation of the origin of the clone army and the redonkulous boba fett tie in for merchandising is enough to make me wish I hadn't wasted the time... Less than a days worth of work... Combined.

I've got an opinion... I'm not gonna try to hammer it home (anymore)...

But ironically... I've just finished watching "the people vs George Lucas". What can be described as " docu-comedy" made in 2009...

I have to admit... Even I think it might be too anti-Lucas...but it really does get to the heart of how Lucas just went down the hole. With particular emphasis on the " special edition " And what it did.
Honestly...it really is good...but R rated. Highly recommend it.
I recently watched all 3 of the original films again, and even at 34, it's still timeless, great movies and great stories.

I tried (again) to watch the prequel trilogy, and again couldn't get through it. It's boring and horribly made. Hopefully Disney does a better job than Lucas did on the prequel.
SpaceMTN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:21 PM   #84
BDL
DIS Veteran

Sooooooooo......

Trying to steer us back to the "rumors" part of the thread; I'm sure a lot of you had seen the British casting call that was posted HERE and other places.

Here are some of the roles that they were looking to fill. And depending on which incarnation they choose to follow (Thrawn trilogy, YV War, 2nd Civil War, etc...)

This is what was posted and my opinions about who they could be.

-Late-teen female, independent, good sense of humour, fit.

Jaina Solo

-Young 20-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.

Jacen Solo

-A late 20-something male, fit, handsome and confident.

Coran Horn, Gavin Darklighter, Jagged Fel, Face, Kel Tainer

-A 70-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’t need to be particularly fit.

Booster Terrik, Gilad Palleon, Thrawn, Joruus C'Boath, Zsinj

-A second young female, also late teens, tough, smart and fit.

Tahiri, Syal Antilles, Cheriss ke Hanadi, Tyria Sarkin, Dia Passik, Shalla Nelprin, Lara Notsil (in all her glory)

-A 40-something male, fit, military type.

Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Kyp Durron, Coran Horn, Gavin Darklighter (all of these are dependent on which timeframe is used)

-A 30-something male, intellectual. Apparently doesn’t need to be fit.
Talon Karde

I'm sure I missed a couple of obvious choices. Feel free to correct any of my choices.

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:07 PM   #85
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Sooooooooo......

Trying to steer us back to the "rumors" part of the thread; I'm sure a lot of you had seen the British casting call that was posted HERE and other places.

Here are some of the roles that they were looking to fill. And depending on which incarnation they choose to follow (Thrawn trilogy, YV War, 2nd Civil War, etc...)

Jaina Solo

-Young 20-something male, witty and smart, fit but not traditionally good looking.

Jacen Solo

-A 70-something male, with strong opinions and tough demeanour. Also doesn’t need to be particularly fit.

Tahiri, Syal Antilles, Cheriss ke Hanadi, Tyria Sarkin, Dia Passik, Shalla Nelprin, Lara Notsil (in all her glory)

Wedge Antilles, Tycho Celchu, Kyp Durron, Coran Horn, Gavin Darklighter (all of these are dependent on which timeframe is used)

Talon Karde

I'm sure I missed a couple of obvious choices. Feel free to correct any of my choices.
I would put money on them not adapting any established EU
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #86
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDL View Post
Sooooooooo......

Jaina Solo

Jacen Solo

Talon Karde

You basically picked the characters out of the Timothy Zahn books from 20 years ago and plug them Into a movie.

Who's gonna play the noghri death commandos?
Or perhaps they can have a 75 year old billy dee Williams yelled down a hallway "this is skywalker...the one that took down vader"

Oscar clip.

Those books were using the original characters 10 years in the future...carrie fishers liver was still a shade of pink at that point... As opposed to the color of the Kansas City royals uniforms now.

There's no way in hell anything coming is from a print novel published in the 90's... No way.

And if by some miracle they were to cop to that and go the easy route... God help us. The "EU" (and I'm not taking about the Dutch) stuff is where the Star Wars machine started to go a little off the rails... And Lucas ran with it.

That's not to say its all bad..but alot of it is.

Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #87
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post

Now there you getting to the point quickly again...
What's the fun in that?

Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #88
BDL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You basically picked the characters out of the Timothy Zahn books from 20 years ago and plug them Into a movie.

Who's gonna play the noghri death commandos?
Or perhaps they can have a 75 year old billy dee Williams yelled down a hallway "this is skywalker...the one that took down vader"

Oscar clip.

Those books were using the original characters 10 years in the future...carrie fishers liver was still a shade of pink at that point... As opposed to the color of the Kansas City royals uniforms now.

There's no way in hell anything coming is from a print novel published in the 90's... No way.

And if by some miracle they were to cop to that and go the easy route... God help us. The "EU" (and I'm not taking about the Dutch) stuff is where the Star Wars machine started to go a little off the rails... And Lucas ran with it.

"So you're saying there's a chance..."

BDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #89
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives

Lucas and Abrams have both gone on record as saying the EU will not be used. my guess is that is their way of letting the fans down easy. I'd be surprised if they don't use parts of the EU to fill in the gaps between the trilogies. The EU is too jumbled to use all of it. They can set up passing the torch from the big three to characters already created like Jaina, Ben Skywalker, and Allana Solo. That way the EU fans will be happy and casual fans can look up more of the back story if they want to. There are two reasons I think they might go down that road. First, Harrison, Mark, and Carrie's ages are almost a perfect match to their characters at the end of Fate of the Jedi: Apocalypse. Second, there is no new series of novels coming out. I know it's wild speculation but with how little information there is out there its all we got at this point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic

The PP was throwing out characters that fit the casting descriptions from different parts of the EU timeline. The characters from the Hair to the Empire trilogy have been used extensively throughout the EU and are some of the most beloved. As I posted above, I think they will start the new trilogy at the end of the EU novels.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report DOA
Old 08-07-2013, 05:51 PM   #90
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

I don't think they'll directly use any EU material. However, they will probably try to avoid breaking any canon established by the EU - but that will only extend as far as it also doesn't interfere with the story they want to tell.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: