Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2013, 06:50 AM   #1
DVCcurious
Mouseketeer

Star Wars Land NEEDS a roller coaster themed to the end of A New Hope

I am not an imagineer. I don't work for Disney. I am not even very creative (I'm an accountant).

But there's one thing I'm 100% positive of: If/When Disney makes Star Wars Land they NEED an indoor roller coaster themed to the Death Star attack scene of A New Hope.

I can convince you I'm right just by describing the ride's finale: A large, hi-speed drop into the trench with guns shooting at you as you careen towards the end of the trench where a large explosion happens (simulating Luke shooting at the air vent), then you pull up out of the trench and you see a Death Star explode.

The earlier part of the ride would have ti-fighters shooting at you, have you fly past the millenium falcon, etc. The seats would have a sound system like Rock N Roller Coaster with music and quotes from the movie ("you're all clear kid, now let's blow this thing and go home"; "Red 5 standing by"; "The force will be with you, always" etc)
DVCcurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #2
Aaeolien
Mouseketeer

Yep I would hope this idea is a given when they start putting plans in place for Star Wars. I hope we start seeing some general plans from disney for some Star Wars themed area soon. I would make great business sense to get something going for around the next movie release.

Past trip: 1st trip ever - Sept 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside

Next trip: 4th of July, 2013 - Saratoga Springs

Future Trips: Feb 2014 - Coronado Springs or Beach Club
Aaeolien is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-18-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

I would be amazed if they don't have 1 or even a 2nd thrill ride of some type.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Sorry, I have to disagree with the OP. I'm not creative (but I am a recovering accountant) either but I think it takes attractions with a story to make a successful new land. Something that is just a thrill ride isn't going to bring in people who don't care for those things, but give it a compelling story and those same people will give it a chance.
Old 09-18-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Sorry, I have to disagree with the OP. I'm not creative (but I am a recovering accountant) either but I think it takes attractions with a story to make a successful new land. Something that is just a thrill ride isn't going to bring in people who don't care for those things, but give it a compelling story and those same people will give it a chance.
There would be a story inherent in the ride. It's a recreation of the destruction of the first Death Star -- the climax of A New Hope. The best way to do a ride for that part of the story would be a roller coaster. The only other way I can think of to do it would be a simulator like Star Tours, and, well, they already have one of those.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR

Last edited by FlightlessDuck; 09-18-2013 at 08:32 AM.
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
RSWA2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
I agree with this, but only slightly.

Rides with a story bring the crowds and also allow the riders to relate to feel attached to the ride. However, there are plenty in Disney parks, which a ride is only a thrill ride, with just a minor theme. Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Big Thunder, Space Mountain, many more. All just have a theme and a small intro story, that's it.

That being said, I enjoy the dark rides, because of the story and imagination that they convey, the nostalgic feeling and the feeling of being a kid again. I think that's why most people enjoy Peter Pan and the other Fantasyland rides. Seven Dwarves Mine Train will probably be a great mix of theming/story and thrill.

Star Tours is also a great example or a theme/story with a semi thrill ride. I think OP is correct, Star Wars would lend a thrill ride with a great story already established.

Last edited by RSWA2; 09-18-2013 at 09:46 AM.
RSWA2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
I would be amazed if they don't have 1 or even a 2nd thrill ride of some type.

AKK
Old 09-18-2013, 01:52 PM   #8
ParrotBill
A parrot's life for me
Stalked by a little Einstein

wait a minute! (put hand to head)
I love this idea!

Let's imagineer this UP. How about a roller coaster with projections timed to the ride and a soundtrack that makes it sound like you are "red 7" with the task force.... some engagement with Tie Fighters and some evasive maneuvers, and then give you a final run and a button you can press to release the bomb... then show you if you scored a hit or not.

Easy enough to story this up in the queue too!

30+ WDW, 2 DL, 1 DLP visits

ParrotBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: