Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM   #1
Wazzo
Is in need of a No Way Jose!
Just the unput I was looking for
I'm the undecided party

Question 2013 Package Cancellation

Hello!

So, help me get this straight. If I cancel a package 3 days before I leave (not planning to, just for understanding), I am charged $200, but the rest of the amount is refunded?

TIA!
Wazzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #2
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazzo View Post
Hello!

So, help me get this straight. If I cancel a package 3 days before I leave (not planning to, just for understanding), I am charged $200, but the rest of the amount is refunded?

TIA!
Yes, unless you got the insurance. If you bought the insurance, since that's non-refundable, the refund will be minus the insurance and the $200 cancellation fee. The $200 cancellation fee is charged for any package cancelled 44 days or less prior to arrival.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #3
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1 View Post
Yes, unless you got the insurance. If you bought the insurance, since that's non-refundable, the refund will be minus the insurance and the $200 cancellation fee. The $200 cancellation fee is charged for any package cancelled 44 days or less prior to arrival.
This kind of makes me wonder what the point of insurance is ... I think on our vacation the insurance would have been ... $159 ... ??? Something like that.

if the cancellation fee is only 200 .... doesn't really seem worth it.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

The insurance can come in handy for things happening while there. I know my FILs insurance would not cover his emergency room visit but the trip insurance did. Also if there are flights changes or cancellations or a family emergency.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:19 PM   #5
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaden View Post
This kind of makes me wonder what the point of insurance is ... I think on our vacation the insurance would have been ... $159 ... ??? Something like that.

if the cancellation fee is only 200 .... doesn't really seem worth it.
This is the main reason we've never gotten the insurance. Also, from what I've read about Disney's insurance, it seems limited as far as what is covered, especially when you cancel. With that said, that is just my interpretation as I can't speak from a factual stand point since I don't have personal experience with it. A lot of people do get insurance, however, from places other than through Disney where the coverage is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
The insurance can come in handy for things happening while there. I know my FILs insurance would not cover his emergency room visit but the trip insurance did. Also if there are flights changes or cancellations or a family emergency.
This is true. I guess I always think of insurance for covering a trip in case of having to cancel, rather than if something happens while there.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
Shaden
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmaurer74 View Post
This is a good point, but for us still doesn't make sense.

To get flight insurance it was $20, incase things change.

We are Canadian, so any necessary hospital visits are covered by our government health insurance.

On top of that we actually have travel insurance through CAA (same as AAA), but, even if we didn't we would still be covered by our national/provincial health insurance, although we would have to pay out of pocket and have it reimbursed.

I can see how it would work for some people, if like you said it covers health issues as well, I would totally buy it if we weren't otherwise covered.

But otherwise, just can see it ... good that its offered though.
Shaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We are Canadian, so any necessary hospital visits are covered by our government health insurance.

On top of that we actually have travel insurance through CAA (same as AAA), but, even if we didn't we would still be covered by our national/provincial health insurance, although we would have to pay out of pocket and have it reimbursed.
It would cover an extended stay in a US hospital if you were suddenly stricken by awful illness or had a car accident or something like that? Wow. Moving to Canada! (seriously, we'd love to...how can we make that happen?) (I'm serious, but not seriously asking *you*, by the way. )

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 08:07 AM   #8
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
This is a good point, but for us still doesn't make sense.

To get flight insurance it was $20, incase things change.

I can see how it would work for some people, if like you said it covers health issues as well, I would totally buy it if we weren't otherwise covered.

But otherwise, just can see it ... good that its offered though.
Please, please do more research on this. Provincial health plans reimburse according to their own FEE SCHEDULES which can be wildly different than the prices charged by American for-profit health care facilities. You (or your supplemental insurance carrier) will be on the hook for any difference. This can happen even province-to-province as our "plans" are not completely uniform nationally. It is a big error to assume that if you have a medical emergency anywhere outside your own locality that it will all be taken care of. In some instances (non-emergency) care outside your province must actually be pre-approved by the Health Authority to be eligible for reimbursement and to the extreme, it is even illegal to seek health care from private, for-profit facilities even if you are paying out of pocket as it is considered "que-jumping". (I added this last part not because it applies to Shaden's situation but just to point out that Canada isn't exactly "medical utopia". The system has many complexities.)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:34 AM   #9
dansamy
DIS Veteran

It's really illegal to cross the border to have a procedure done even if you pay all your own expenses? Because you're skipping the line of less financially secure individuals, who will still get their procedure done & paid by the governmental plan? Whose wait list is actually shortened by someone going to have their procedure outside the system? That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. If a free individual of means to afford it wants to take care of his own health & on his own dime, that should be his choice, his decision to make. It is his body.
dansamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:30 PM   #10
ronandannette
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansamy View Post
It's really illegal to cross the border to have a procedure done even if you pay all your own expenses? Because you're skipping the line of less financially secure individuals, who will still get their procedure done & paid by the governmental plan? Whose wait list is actually shortened by someone going to have their procedure outside the system? That is the most asinine thing I've ever heard. If a free individual of means to afford it wants to take care of his own health & on his own dime, that should be his choice, his decision to make. It is his body.
It's complicated, but you have the gist of it. Here's a little insight if you're interested:
http://metronews.ca/news/vancouver/3...-care-lawsuit/
(Remember though; healthcare is administered differently in every province and territory; we are all governed by federal laws under the Canada Health Act and may be subject to additional regulations by our provincial Health Authorities)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #11
marshall4539
Earning My Ears

Canadians absolutely need extended health care plans for the US... Even a simple visit to the ER could cost you $$$ ( even with extended health care plans in some cases)...
marshall4539 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: