Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #1
lovedonald
Mouseketeer

Healthy quick service meals

I am doing weight watchers right now and it is really starting to work. We are going to Disney next month and have the quick service dining plan. I want to have a little fun but still be careful. Does anyone know if any of the quick service places have some meals that are not really awful for you. I know there's lots of burgers and fries and I am hoping that some places have some better alternatives. I don't want to gain any major weight on my trip. It comes on so fast yet comes off so slow!
lovedonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
Gretch22
Earning My Ears

Columbia Harbour house has salmon and a nice lighthouse veggie sandwich. Sunshine seasons is a great idea as well. They have great salads, rotisserie chicken, and fish. Just always remember that you don't have to eat fries and try to take the bun off sandwiches, it saves a lot of calories!
Gretch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-30-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Definitely agree with the suggestions for Columbia Harbor House and Sunshine Seasons. The CS in Morocco has some nice options as well, and the rotisserie chicken at Cosmic Rays isn't too bad. I also try to mix in a salad, or swap fries for a healthier side when possible, and limit my calories from drinks (choose diet or water, etc) - that way I can indulge in burger now and then too.

DW DH DD2

YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
JulieODC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:18 PM   #4
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

You don't mention the make up of your party, but if you can drop the QSDP without incurring a penalty, I would. Remember, every meal comes with a dessert. AND yes, I know you can sub a bottle water or maybe some fruit for the dessert, but you begin to lose the value of the plan when you do that. Unless there is someone else who will enjoy your desserts, I think you will do better OOP. Plus, to save any money, you need to find the more expensive entrees and none of those are healthy.

As to the healthier options, many of the QS places have a salad as an entree...ask for the dressing on the side. I'm not sure they can do that at Disney (never tried), but if they can't, you may want to go for something else as they tend to drown the salad in dressing.

Flame Tree at AK has a great turkey sandwich that wouldn't be too bad.
Restaurantasaurus has a veggie sandwich
The pizza places have salads, but the cheese or veggie pizza would be a good choice too.
BoG for lunch has several healthier options as well.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #5
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

One of the most Wwfriendly snacks is the Strawberry Fruit bar available at many of the ice cream carts. I can't remember off the top of my head if its 2 points or 3. Many of the snack carts also have fruits and some even have pickles! (Yeah zero point snacks at WDW!). Dole whips are love fat too.

As for CS as others have said, there are rotisserie half chickens available at many CS. Cosmic Rays at MK (also has wraps), Sunshine Seasons at Epcot, and Flametree at AK come to mind. There are fresh sandwiches available at many CS including food courts at the resorts. These are good if you are trying to avoid fried foods and you can remove some of the bread to make it less pointy. Many of the sandwiches and othe CS options are big enough to share. This can help you control your portions.

All this restaurant food may make you retain, so be sure to drink a lot of water to flush a lot of water. With all the walking and by watching my portions I usually lose or at the worst gain only a pound or two at WDW.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
katt789
DIS Veteran

There's lots of heathy options at Disney. I'd just advise you to honestly stick with sandwiches or the "chicken and veggie" hot plates they have, as many of the salads the CS places have are ceaser's and are drenched in dressing.

In Mk:
-Cosmic Rays:tons of options, I personally love the Turkey sandwich, on whole wheat, and I get it with carrot sticks or apple slices instead of fries, and take off the top slice of bread
-Columbia Harbour House: has a nice garden salad, and some salmon and veggie dinners
-Main St Bakery (if its open] has some nice sandwiches that as long as you take off some of the bread they're pretty healthy.

In AK;
-Flame Tree BBQ:again, turkey sandwich, wheat bread, etc also the chicken and rib combos

There's always going to be grapes, apple slices, and carrot sticks at CS places because of the kids menus, and they will let you substitute instead of fries and it's a great way to keep portions controlled and be a bit healthier!
katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #7
mrzrich
DIS Veteran

Here's an article about eating well at Disney on WW straight from the WW website. Besides the fact that they seem to think that Shutters and Kouzzina are in Epcot it does bring up some good points.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...&art_id=162541
Old 04-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #8
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrzrich View Post
Here's an article about eating well at Disney on WW straight from the WW website. Besides the fact that they seem to think that Shutters and Kouzzina are in Epcot it does bring up some good points.

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/a...&art_id=162541
the link shows when I hit quote but not on your original post.

ETA, too weird, now it shows............"Insert Twilight Zone music here"
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite)

Last edited by rcraw45425; 04-30-2013 at 08:24 PM.
rcraw45425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #9
lovedonald
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful suggestions! I feel so much better knowing that there are some better choices. The article was really helpful too! We are going in a large group of 8 and it looks like I can still be careful while the kids and non dieters can eat what they want. I really appreciate everyone's help! Maybe with all of the walking I may lose a couple of pounds! Hugs to all!
lovedonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: